1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I connect into an existing TV aerial cable outside?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Friedeggbutty, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Friedeggbutty

Friedeggbutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of years ago I bought a Freeview box but then had to have a better aerial installed with new cable (CT100). The cable runs down the outside of the house and past a room where I would now like to add a 2nd Freeview box.

Any proposal to run an extension inside would be refused by Mrs Friedeggbutty so I would like to connect into the cable outside and then run this through the wall to the room with the 2nd box.

Is it possible to do this without degrading the quality of the signal to the original box?

If it is possible, what is the best way to connect into the existing cable (bearing in mind that the connection would be outside) and where could I obtain any connectors needed?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. RBJTech

RBJTech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    OK - interesting post but a couple of ideas ...

remember that splitting the aerial was degrade signal - if you are getting a high level signal (see the freeview box stats to get this reading) then splitting it should be ok. If you are medium to low then do not do this without some form of amp.

Cheap and nasty - but works fine..

Drill a hole through the wall - pass through your new coax. Chop the existing coax where you want it to split - pass all three cables into a METAL small box - (get one from Maplins etc) - unsheeth the coax screen from all three cables - twist together and bolt to metal box. Solder the inner cable together. Because the metal box will act as a screen, you shouldn't get any signal interference. Remember to waterproof the box, best way to do this is to run the cables under the box with a loop - ie rain runs down the cable and drops off at the loop rather then enter the box. Use mastic to seal anyway otherwise corrosion will take place in a couple of years...

Much better way to do it if you intend on distribution is to cut the aerial and feed it into your loft. Then install a aerial distribution amp, then feed the newly amplified signals into each room or whatever - all will receive a perfect signal for freeview or analogue etc.

Hope this helps...

3. Friedeggbutty

Friedeggbutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. Friedeggbutty

Friedeggbutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And again, thanks. That looks to be exactly what I was after.

Cheers.