How can I clean my speaker?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by Member 749941, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Member 749941

Member 749941
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Haven't used my speakers for ages but just connected my new TV to my hifi and sounds fantastic

But occasionally get a short vibration from this speaker when it hits a note

https://******/photos/o3GSBxKvfnNJNnPLA/?.jpeg

I guess it must be some dust got in somewhere

I don't want to break the speaker so I'm wondering what's the best thing to try?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,458
    Something loose and vibrating I would think. Try checking for loose screws or casing.

3. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Agree with noiseboy72, unlikely to be a dust problem and most likely a component on the speaker has worked loose. Try and find exactly what is vibrating - could even be something nearby rather than the actual speaker.

You shouldn't damage the speaker by opening it up. Usually, screws or bolts holding the bass or bass/mid driver can be removed to gain access to the internals. If you're lucky, the entire back or front may be screwed/bolted in place therefore simple to remove but that's rare.

Ensure you reseal properly if it becomes necessary to open up the cabinet.

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,025
    The screw holding the speakers in can sometime work loose. But when you tighten them remember you are not torquing the head bolts on an engine. You must tighten the screws uniformly around the speaker, and they must be tightened to firm or snug, but not excessively tight. Likely these are wood screws, and you wouldn't want to strip them out.

What can happen is that you tighten ...say... the left screw tight, then you start tightening the right screw. Well tightening the right screw also puts stress on the left screw making it even tighter. So, just go around the speaker firming up each screw making them gradually tighter until you feel they are all tight enough.

Though it sound complicated, it is just common sense and anyone can do it.

You need not remove the various screws to start with. Just check the tightness of them all, and snug them up as needed. See if that effects the problem.

Inspect the Surrounds, with are the foam or rubber rings that attach the actual cone to the frame. Lightly touch them, if the feel gritty or chaulky, or if they have noticeably deteriorated, then they need to be replaced. That is typically only a problem on really old speakers though.

Your link to the speakers does not work, most likely because this Forum is blocking that website (for whatever reason).

Can you simply tell us the brand and model of the speakers?

Steve/bluewizard