Question How can I check a wall is flat enough for UST projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Therealego, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Therealego

Therealego
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking at getting the Optoma GT5000 UST projector for 12 months and now the only thing holding me back (apart from hiding the cost from my wife) is the wall.
    I have a wall big enough to project near enough 100" and all the media inputs coming in at that wall but i don't know how flat the wall is. Everything i have read has led me to believe it has to be bob on flat for a UST projector to work properly without a screen.
    How can i check the wall without taking the plunge on the projector and finding out the hard way? I'm thinking lasers to check but no idea what to search for equipment wise.
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks

2. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Not sure how you can check that the wall is perfectly flat. Is getting a screen an option? If so, you could see what the picture looks like on the wall and if there are problems get a screen.

3. Therealego

Therealego
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought had crossed my mind but replacing the TV with a Projector is a tough enough sell to the wife, having a big screen might put the kibosh on it.

4. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    If the wall looks flat and smooth to the eye then it will be fine.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,067
    Since an ultra short throw model is going to project at an angle then maybe you could test by shining a torch from the bottom. Angle it upwards and you'll see any imperfections.

I had a similar effect when I first built my fixed screen: I had downlighta above it and they showed every little wrinkle. Since I have a standard long throw projector the wrinkles weren't visible when watching films. With a UST I wouldn't have got away with it.

6. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +787
    I would consider sanding the wall flat using a large block and very fine grit paper then repainting the wall with a spray gun - should be able to hire from somewhere like HSS

7. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Just get an electric screen. Even if a wall looks good it will still show up any minor imperfections every time you have white displaying. A wall can look fine to the eye but projecting onto it highlights any issues. It annoyed me enough that in the end I got a screen.