Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

how can i change this please help?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gunner84, Sep 16, 2005.

1. gunner84

gunner84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    hi

ive got a 37" pv500 plasma connected to a oppo dvd player,
    on most movies i seem to get black bars at the top and bottom, is there a way of filling the screen as i dont want to get screen burn from the bars.

cheers

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Most widescreen DVDs are not true 16:9 hence if you want to watch them in their true aspect ratio then you should watch them with black bars.

I have no hesitation watching most movies with black bars on my PJ. I'm not a plasma expert but I'd be surprised if the majority of "plasma people" didnt watch DVDs with black bars too...PJ :)

3. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    can black bars burn in, i thought it was only the bright stuff, why oh why did they make tv widescreen 16.9 when the majority of films are 2.35:1 or even a 1:1.85 would be nearer surely :(

4. gunner84

gunner84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    hi

im not sure if black bars would give burn in but if anyone knows if there is a way of getting rid of them it would be a great help.

ive got a pv500 37" with a oppo dvd player has anyone got this setup and do you know if there is a way of filling the screen .

thanks for any help

tel

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Dont panic......
    You will not get black bar burn.......
    Unless of course you are watching films all day.
    How many films are you watching a day....????
    I had an 51" RPTV and it took about 6 hours for the grey bars to burn in....and another 2 weeks to get rid of them and plasma's are not as easy for burn in as RPTV's are.
    You would have to watch a lot of widescreen content for the bars to burn in, maybe around 24hrs continuious.

So unless you are watching about 6 films or more a day, dont worry.
    You got more chance of getting screen burn, if you have Nickelodeon on for the kids and their stupid logo.......now that would take about 40-60 min's to knacker your plasma.
    My kids had that stupid channel on for 30 mins ( without pressing backup ) and it burnt into my RPTV............I had it on for 3 days solid before i sold it and it still had not gone... :confused: .

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    above poster has it spot on, also to get rid of the bars you will have to stretch the image which will kill picture quality or give every actor an egghead.
    On my pioneer plasma i think the cinema setting is the one that will get rid of the black bars depending on the dvd transfer. On some you can only reduce them and not get rid of them altogether. Just change your picture ratio/sizing settings on the plasma ans see what you can live with

7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just use the aspect button to zoom in and get rid of any black bars while u are running it in...you can do the same to get rid of logos