• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

how can i back up my emails?

reevesy

Distinguished Member
looks like i'm gonna be upgrading to win xp from 98se soon so have been backing things up to disc in preperation for wiping my hard drive for a clean install..question is i cant find my saved emails in order to back them up?
anyone help?
cheers.

fortean

Established Member
Are you using Outlook? If you are search for Outlook.pst as that is where your e-mails, contacts, notes, calander, etc. are.
When you install XP then Outlook you should start Outlook and after setting up your e-mail account (with the wrong password) close Outlook.
You should copy your original Outlook.pst file to the folder...
C:\Documents and Settings\your.name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
...then start Outlook again.
To find that folder you will need to select in Windows Explorer...
Tools
Folder Options
View (Tab)
And enable "Show hidden files and folders"

When you start Outlook again you can enter your correct password. The reason for not doing it at first was to prevent Outlook collecting mail and storing it in the wrong place.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom