1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can Freeview and HDD/DVD recorder work together

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Fleetwood Rover, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Fleetwood Rover

Fleetwood Rover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

I'd really appreciate some help as I spent 5 hours yesterday trying to link up my Lite-On LVW 5045 DVD/HDD recorder to the rest of my system.

I thought I had got things sussed but the outstanding problem is with my Panasonic Freeview box.

My system also comprises of a Kenwood KRF 5050D amp receiver and a Toshiba TV with 3 scart inputs.

I have connected things up as below but can't get the Freeview to work independantly of the recorder i.e I need to keep my recorder powered on if I want to watch Freeview and also the recoreder treats the Freeview box as just one channel meaning I need to tune to the Freeview chanel I want to record from rather than specify say channel 43 for Sky Sports News.

2. Fleetwood Rover

Fleetwood Rover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ran out of space for my connections.....

RF cable into Freeview box > RF out of Freeview to DVD Recorder > RF out of DVD Recorder into the TV

Scart out of Freeview into DVD recorder > Scart out of DVD Recorder into TV

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. Sure your DVD sees Freview as one channel. You set the Freeview channel on the box and it decodes it and sends it as video and audio to the DVD AV scart. Even if the DVD has a modulated output for the scart input (unlikely) it would still only use one channel from the DVD - like a VCR. You always select the Freeview channel on the Freeview box - nowhere else.

2. Many DVD machines have a Scart 'through' function that allows the scart input to pass directly to the scart output when the DVD is off (i.e. in standby). I don't know about the Lite-on, Check the manual.

Without DVD Scart through, assuming your TV and Freeview box each have two scarts, then the wiring is this:

RF as you have it
    Freeview TV-out scart to TV scart 1
    Freeview recorder-out scart (often called VCR) to DVD scart in
    DVD scart out to TV scart 2

If any of these apply:
    Freeview has only one scart, TV has one scart, DVD has no scart through: then a scart switchbox will be needed. Just what sort and how connected will depend on excatly what configuration the boxes have.

4. Fleetwood Rover

Fleetwood Rover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Appreciate your response Edd.

My Freeview box does indeed only have a single Scart, which is connected to my DVD recorders input.

If as you suggest I get a Scart switch box then would this have one switch to the DVD and one to the TV input Scart2 ?

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Before you go buying boxes...... Do you know, for sure, that your Liteon does not passthrough on SCART? Most do. If it does, then one possible SCART cable routing is
    Freeview > Liteon and Liteon > TV. And no switch box.

To watch Freeview, just turn it on. Signal goes Freeview>Liteon>TV. The Liteon just apsses it through when turned off.

For timed recordings, as stated, you do have to program (in some way) the Freeview box to turn on and tune in to the chosen channel. Many Freeview boxes have a timer feature; check if yours does. If not, consider getting another, or, you have to just leave it turned on at a chosen channel, in which case, you can't change channels for different recordings, automatically. And priogramme the Liteon to turn on and start recording from its AV input.

6. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    try this,
    connect freeview to av 1 on tv. then connect tv av 2 to dvd av2. if they are equipped with a q link this should work.
    the way connect a digital tv to a video is done this way so i can see no reason why you should not get a result.
    then set dvd input to av 2.
    then tune dvd recorder in on tv on channel zero, then you should be able to change channels via your freeveiw, but what you are actually seeing is what signal the dvd recorder is picking up

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I downloaded the Liteon manual. It looks from p 8 connection diagram as if the scart will pass through.
    Make sure you are using the same signal rype throughout -
    RGB, s-video or composite. The Freeview or TV may be the constraint. The Liteon had RGB in and out. But it is unlikely the Freeview has s-video.
    The TV should accept RGB and switch automatically.
    Ideally, set Freeview out to RGB,
    Liteon in and out to RGB
    Check the TV manual.

If the Freeview doesn't do RGB then it'll probably have to be composite throughout, although it may playback RGB but pass through composite when in standby because RGB and composite can 'co-exist' in a scart. The TV should switch automatically to the 'best available' signal.

8. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
  9. Fleetwood Rover

Fleetwood Rover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you to all 4 of you for your detailed and helpful answers. I will work through them and hopefully 1 or all of them will get me the desired result.

10. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    well have you sorted it out yet ???? how did it turn out???

11. richwill

richwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  12. mezza5066

mezza5066
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Liteon 4025 GHC HDD/DVD player. I just got a new Freeview box (Bush) that has two places for scart leads. I've tried to follow the above but I just wanted some clarification - do I need three RF cables? I checked the manual and they have something called "Setting TV Mode/Scart Bypass". Is this what is described above.

Thanks

M