How can Britain become Great again?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Newton's Ring, Feb 5, 2009.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Agreed! Europhobes,lol

2. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Thank you for proving my point.

3. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    it amazes how people in here solely focus on negatives , even so far as offering negative solutions like hanging, flogging, remove finger nails,hate the EEC ,stop welfare etc.No one has offered anything remotely positve at all. Bit of an indictment on us I would have thought:lesson:

4. Newton's Ring

Newton's Ring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks for that. I think there are a lot of positives to be gained from the current gloomy economic situation as you have pointed out and agree particularly regarding our potential to grow our industries and exports. Granted, exports can only be successful if other countries want or can afford what we have to offer but by putting the foundations in place now, I can only see us getting stronger as a nation.

5. tony brazao

tony brazao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Some thing has to change, to leave things as they are is worse than changing and the change makes the UK worse, at least we're trying to improve. Even if the first change(s) may not be right, sooner or later with enough adjustment and corrective attention the country will go in the right direction.

Most of us will have to differ, few of us will agree, we can all see flaws within each others post. Nothing is perfect.

Don't you just love forums! :rotfl: Now back to the tat for tit... I AM RIGHT, YOU ARE WRONG, NER NICKY NER NER :devil: :p

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Must admit i missed that post , but it is the stand out one.What better than having a world class motor manufacturing company again.For example the name Rover should engender a sense of pride in us and , if they were stikl being made, we should buy one, assuming of course they are every bit as god as anything imported.I look at Triumph motorcycles with some pride today being as they are on our roads again.
    Actually we also need a good set of values so that we can coexist better , both in the workplace and around our communities.Ones we can all agree on and ones which we can inculcate into our children without feeling the need to beat them.

7. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,290
    I'm not scared of the European Central Government...I just don't like it and think it is corrupt, unworkable and anti-British.

8. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Isn't that the reason they went under?

9. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
    Corrupt? Show me a politician that isn't.
    Unworkable? Show me a form of state that isn't.
    Anti-British? Oh god, not again. Examples?

10. tony brazao

tony brazao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Agree with most of your post, but FMCG we will never be able to produce, for obvious reasons.

As far as producing boats, planes et al, we still do. I used to work for a very large UK company (before BAE bought them) within the R&D department and I helped develop parts for the Euro-fighter jet, Hellfire and Tomahawk cruise missiles and, many other weapons and aerospace products used world wide.

Aside from our military manufacturing and R&D, we have some fantastic world leading boat builders in the UK, Princess and Sunseeker are both on our South coast. There's many more too.

Electrics, look at some of the kit we use within hi-fi and HC :smashin:

The trick to UK manufacturing is servicing niche markets with high quality service and high quality products. As a nation we are superb at 'niche' stuff, but niche is never going to produce vast GDP or create huge amounts of jobs. Volume FMCG will, but Asia holds the cards for this area and will do for some time.

11. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    It took 150 years to build up our manufacturing base, I'm not sure it can be recovered that easily, especially in the face of chinese competition and the lack of investment capital around.
    My understanding is that protectionism is economically bad all round and is regarded as why the depression lasted so long. We end up paying more for things and so do other countries; we all become less efficient.

12. Vnb

Vnb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I agree it is not likely to be recovered easily , however a smarter governement could perhaps try to find opportunity in the current climate.

I was not advocating protectionism. I was stating that if people were better educated there is a chance of keeping more more in the domestic economy. Fair trade is just as important and protectionism would break our EU commitments, another debate entirely.

13. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    All this talk of Europe hating the UK is nonsense. What might hurt is how little the UK counts for in Europe. The UK features in French news programmes slightly more than France features in UK broadcasts, but there isn't much in it. The snow made brief headlines, but mainly because the UK ground to a halt, or seemed too and the anti-Italian worker thing was mentioned in passing.

14. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Finally someone who acknowledges this! In Britain I always hear of the France-England rivalry and how french and brits hate each other while in my experience french people don't actually care, let alone having jokes about brits. I can imagine the rest of Europe cares as little.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There isn't any real Anglo French rivalry and most people who claim not to like the French would stumble if you asked them why.

If anything there is a sense of envy that the French are fiercely patriotic and stand up for themselves whereas if Brits don't like something they will whinge on a forum.

The traditional enemies of Brits are the Germans as it constantly rankles that we've never bettered them since 1966 in a game that matters and they pinch all the sunbeds when on holiday

16. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    You imagine right! The UK is only one part of an EU of 25 member states, but the opinion of some UK (mainly English) inhabitants is that it is the one and only country of any worth in the whole organisation. I take it as a sign of the hugely inflated sense of self-importance bestowed by some on the UK that so many people really seem to believe that Gordon Brown caused the global recession. If only the UK had a fraction of that influence.
    There seems to be a belief that the UK is suffering a worse recession than anyone else (based on the totally inward looking media), whereas what is happening in PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece, Spain) is so much worse. But to actually look that far......

How can Britain become Great again?
    Not through manufacturing, or warmongering that's for sure.

How about through everyone working together to actually build a successful, harmonious, multicultural caring society? One where the Yankee dollar isn't king, but quality of life is more important than standard of living. One where you care about your neighbour's health, rather than the fact that his TV has a screen 1" bigger than yours.

Or is that vision too Rural French?

17. dalethecaptain

dalethecaptain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    You cant compare Norway with two countries that are EU members, Norway is free to trade with whomever it wishes, the other two have to buy from the EU first even if it is more expensive, that's what I call protectionism. Norway is a major net oil exporter and its revenue will suffer as a result of global contraction. But unlike the EU which ****** money up the wall into social projects, Norway made hay while the sun was shining, which puts it in a far better position than all of Europe I would say.

Switzerland is no where near as heavily legislated as the UK, for a start what legislation there is does not intrude into your everyday life. I lived there for 18 months and it was bliss. Traffic Safety in Switzerland is the highest in any developed world, and the roads are a damn sight less policed than the Netherlands, but the Swiss as a population do a very good job of policing themselves, which is a distinct area England lacks.

18. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I think that goes both ways.

I don't think the average brit cares or thinks about the french either.

I can't say I regularly hear brits talking in terms of France-England rivalry.
    If anything, Australian-England would be more common. :)

19. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    It's the same as scots-english rivalry. You'll only find it if you go looking for it.

20. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Why not?

It's something we actually do quite well :)
    Though our current forces are small, we do have a good track record, and lots of experience.

Let's invade mainland Europe. It would be over in days. :D

21. Kebabhead

Kebabhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    As we are one of the biggest EU contributors wonder if the rest of the EU cared if we halved it :thumbsup:

22. dalethecaptain

dalethecaptain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    You should be... you probably did not vote for it and now there is nothing you can do about it. Your rights were taken from you and you did not even know it.

And the Belgian's have first hand experience of the mighty EU, did you not manage without an elected Government for 6 months or more? Either this proves governance is not needed, or it proves how little control any individual nation has anymore.

Ahhh, the Liberal tub thumper. This is exactly the point I was making about Britain being full of management speaking knob heads. There is nothing positive to take away, because during the years of trying to be positive and moving forward (making stupid gesture with hands :mad:), any and all opportunity has blown away in the wind.

Britain was Great on its own, thanks to our ancestors. I like my British identity and over my dead body will anyone 'integrate' me into a larger society. I don't give a toss about the other european nations in the slightest, and I don't want my country in line with theirs, we have sod all in common. The British should electing people to look after british interests, and protect the liberties and property rights our ancestors worked to gain and not diluting it down with new world ideals. Unions spanning cultural divides have failed throughout history, this will be no different and I do not intend to lose my national identity to a 'social experiment'.

So, make Britain great again? Leaving the EU and repealing some of the 3010 EU derived laws which were passed onto UK statute last year (There are now 16980 EU acts in force in the UK since 1997, source: Taxpayers Alliance) would be a jolly good start. It's not because I hate Europeans or because I am being protectionist, we as a nation are just not interested in their issues, and nor should my nation be paying the EU legislators any heed either for those reason mentioned.

I am normally all for being open minded and embracing new technologies and ideals, but the EU wants happy, controlled, diet regulated, sub servient beings to serve the stated and that is just wrong, its against all that I believe and all that is Greater Britain.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  23. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I'm doing my bit already.

24. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    Well I've heard plenty "anti french jokes" in Britain (on these very forums too :)) while I don't know any french "anti british" ones.
    My mother in law once asked me what stereotypes french people have for brits (you know like the cheese eating baguette carrying garlic/stripy top/beret wearing french that go "honhihonhihon") and i couldn't think of anything better than a man in strict suit with an umbrella and bowler hat and that was thinking hard because french people I know know brits are no different.

But that's getting away from the topic.

25. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,347
    not if it's snowing

26. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Beautifully sunny day, here in the Loire valley, has been up to 11C today, 13C yesterday. Ohhh look, there is a cloud on the horizon, that must be where England is.:D

27. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I think June is the usual time. :smashin:

28. dalethecaptain

dalethecaptain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Absolutely raining in Monaco, might make it to the Airport if the trains are not on strike (hey, its the national pastime). Don't think I will be able to get the car out in Manchester though.....:mad:

29. Newton's Ring

Newton's Ring

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Barsteward.

30. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: