Question How can Blackberry be saved?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by HeavenlyWarrior, Apr 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I love Blackberrys, I still regard them as one of the elite in mobile handsets. But dammit Kanye, you are making it hard to be your fan.

Blackberry are not what they once were, we know this. The move to Android was a smart move for a larger slice of the pie. But seriously - a £600 experimental phone? Other than those who invest in flagships and a ready to take a gamble, how was this a great idea? Can't they just accept that nostalgia gets you only so far and keyboards are no longer required in this stage of technology also? It's almost like they don't want to succeed.

For success to grow, they need to (A), man up and ditch the keyboards (ala Blackberry Leap - still their best designed handset) (B), stick with Android and most importantly (C), don't put all their eggs in one basket and release one redonkulusly expensive phone.

To grow they need to make mid rangers in the £300-ish range so people are more likely to purchase one, and make them 4.5, 5.0 & 5.5 inch sizes to cater to the different size markets, with good - though not top shelf specs. All with a Blackberry flavored skin to Android that melds the classic with the new.

What are your thoughts on the state of Blackberry? What can they do to rise again & what missteps do you think they have taken in the past? Let me know your thoughts.

2. stunno

stunno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    I've never been a fan and had to suffer one as a works phone for a while, as Blackberry were always seem as the "corporate" phone.

Now we have ditched them for Windows phones as have most of the other companies that we deal with, I can only see blackberry fading quietly away

3. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Have you used the Windows Continuum function? How does it rate if you have?

4. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Unfortunately, BlackBerry, with a degree of arrogance, have left it far too late to salvage the handset market. They are still strong in the enterpise but even that is under threat.

The rot set in with the release of BB OS 10 which was heavily reliant on silly gestures making it far too different from OS 7 for mass migration, and then releasing this with a pure touchscreen phone completing ignoring the fact that most people buy a BlackBerry for the bulletproof messaging and the keyboard. When John Chen came along, he did what should have been done years ago, and made a proper BlackBerry Bold upgrade in the form of the Classic, the best phone BB has ever made.

BBM was also too late to the game. By the time BlackBerry made it cross platform, WhatsApp had taken the market and nobody cared. The less said about the PlayBook the better, fabulous piece of premium kit which was cruelly discarded and abandoned after promising it would be BB OS 10 comptible.

Disagree with some of the points in the OP though:

A. BlackBerry absolutely need to ensure they sell a handset with a proper keyboard. It's the only key differentiator they have along with the software and in a market crammed with touchscreen handsets, it's got a strong USP. The Priv has sold well on Android because of the keyboard. I much rather prefer a proper keyboard myself rather than a crap (i.e all of them) touchscreen experience.

B. Stick with Android for sure but bring across all the BlackBerry services and security which they are doing as well as innovation like BlackBerry Blend. BB also are committed to ensuring their Android build is always up to date.

C. BlackBerry will continue to release a few phones a year and not go crazy like Samsung. They already barely make any profit on handsets, the money is in enterprise services and the software stack.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  5. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    If BB had bitten the bullet and moved into Android rather then trying to develop OS10 but its took late for that now, the Playbook (which I enjoyed) was an ill advised waste of cash at the time but probably reflected the outlook then that tablets would take over which they don't seem to have done!

If they had a really good Android with a Hardware Keyboard I'd be tempted, I miss my old Bold and like the look of the Priv but it seems a bit pricey.

6. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Looks like Blackberry might have heeded the lessons, they've just dropped BB10 and are releasing two more Android handsets this year. One with a keyboard, one full touchscreen - both mid rangers.

BlackBerry to launch 2 Android phones

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    I miss my BB Bold - it was taken off me and given to a director, so not a lot I could do about it.
    The Classic was good but just a bit too big for most users - well I kept being given them back for this reason, don't even mention the Passport I don't think anybody kept one for more than about a week.

Like others have said many companies are moving to Windows Phone, which is what we have mainly done (and is what I am now using as a work phone), add a few Samsung/HTC Android handsets and most directors using an iPhone.

The move to BB OS 10 was a big mistake IMO. The cost to upgrade our servers was far too much and therefore totally ignored. We now have around 150 BB 7 users with the cheap & nasty 9720 handset and a few others holding tightly onto their Bold or Curve and praying it doesn't die on them.

Mark.

8. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I've been debating moving to Windows myself (HP Elite X3) for cross platform synergy between desktop and mobile, but I'm also waiting to see what Blackberry do with their upcoming Android phone with the traditional keyboard.

I'm heavily invested in the Google ecosystem for work life and personal life so wonder if this is the better option. BB10 is somewhat DOA and I've found I've used a lot of the Blackberry apps in the Google Play store to make my Sony phone more Blackberry-like. But Windows phone has soooo much to offer for the business environment.