1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How 'black' is black on the Panasonic PV500?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lapino, Oct 27, 2005.

1. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I was just wondering, never having seen any of these Panasonic's operate in real life, how 'black' the blacks really are compared to others. My Philips 42PF9966/10 with a reported contrast of 3000:1 shows pretty deep blacks, but they're nowhere near the black of the trim that surrounds the screen. Am I expecting too much of the blacks? I really don't have any other way to explain this, I might put up a review of the Philips in a while with some pictures, but I'm not sure if this will show the 'blackness' wel.

2. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    It's...this black >>>>> [​IMG]

3. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well, what WOULD be useful is a picture of 'that' black next to a black trim/shiny surface. I'll try to take a pic this evening.

4. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Sorry I couldn't resist.

5. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The blacks on the pv500 aren't as black as the black surround either, but then the surround is really really black, but the black is much blacker than any black i've seen on any other plasma :rolleyes: but then it also depends on the amount of ambient light in the room, the more the ambient light level is the less the blacks are.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Lapino, you would see a marked decrease in the amount of light emitted compared to your existing Philips. You've seen the posts about PV500s I'm sure. A good one is very impressive, so buy from a decent retailer so you've got some comeback.

7. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've mentioned this before, so apologies if I sound like a broken record :boring: but having had the 9966 and the pv500, the pv500 is better than the Philips by a country mile (where did that come from?!?) As leeboy said, not as black as the surround and it also depends on how contrasty the film is you use as a reference (if you see a photo of a screen with a mainly white image and one black thing in it - it looks almost inky black). Very hard to describe - go see if you can check them out side by side.

8. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just for the record: I think it's wrong for people to compate the (previous) 9966 to the Panasonic. There is an updated version of the 9966, the 9966/10 which has a much higher contrast (3000:1 vs 1000:1) and brightness (1200:1 vs 1000:1) than the older /12 model. It also supports both 720p/1080i now and has a HD Ready logo. So I wonder if the 'new' 9966 would be quite a bit better. I have had the /12 too, but never really considered black levels and I really don't know if it's better or not on the /10 (have not been able to put them side by side)

9. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was the new version that I had. Sent it back after 3 weeks!

10. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    What did you dislike so much about the Philips then? I'm just checking out my options, especially since I got some1 willing to take over my 9966. But I'm also worried about the buzzing noise from the PV500 which I read about.

11. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I said this in another posting, but I made an impulse buy with the Philips because of consent from my wife and you don't ignore that!

I went for it at the time because of the ambilight which I thought was a winner. Anyway, when I got it on the wall the first thing I watched was the new Flight of the Phoenix DVD. There is an opening scene in the desert in a whitewashed office and the colour banding on the panel was very severe and spoiled the film for me. Didn't know it was called solarization at the time. Also I noticed that the sound the ambilight made was a lot more noticable in a normal rather than retail environment. Spent the next two weeks looking at different screens down Tottenham Court Road in London (fortunately I work there) using the same DVD to audition and the banding was the same on any Philips screen I tested so not just a faulty panel. I think the cost of the ambilight feature means compromises have been made in other areas of processing to keep prices competitive. The pv500 was the only screen I demo'd that I couldn't see any banding on the bit of film I was using as a benchmark.

As is the case with everything on this forum though, this is just another opinion. However, I'm not at all sorry that I went with the Panasonic. With the volume down, you can hear the PSU if you stand near the screen, but even with it hanging on the wall (which should amplify and sound) you cannot hear any buzz in normal watching conditions at low volume.

12. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find alot depends on the quality of the recording....get a well made dvd transfer and blacks looks damn impressive on the pv500

13. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    My PV500 doesn't buzz any more than the CRT it replaces. You wouldn't notice it unless you go right up to it and the room is silent.

14. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally agree with Lionheart and captainH. The people who have an interest in home cinema and find their way to this forum are among the most demanding buyers in the market and will pick up on faults on their screens. At the end of the day, practically every product is made by the lowest bidder, so there is always going to be something that can be improved. Just depends on what you can live with. For my money, the pv500 was the best compromise of quality : price : functionality.

15. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If everyone demanded quality and caused uproar when buying and finding faults with 2k + plasmas we might have had better screens by now!
    However, you only need to look at threads on the shift issue with pannys to see people have more cash than sense.The shift issue is a defect yet people don't seem to mind.

Will.

16. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Shift issue?

17. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Exactly.

18. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasma and flat screens are still an emerging technology. I'ts going to take a while before they are perfect, so early adopters have to put up with some quirks.

Anyway, having money is nothing to be ashamed of :hiya:

19. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    whats the shift issue?

20. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, can't comment on the pv500 but having just seen how good the blacks are on my 42PE50.. I would be amazed if anyone feels that the blacks on this plasma are not 'black enough' .. lol..

for me, the blacks on the PE50 are easily on par with crt..

21. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shift issue is when someone sneaks into your house at the dead of night uninvited and shifts your Plasma into the back of a lorry (People dont seem to mind cos they can claim and get the newer model)

22. rover2002

rover2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Neither is common sense :D

23. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree rover. Firstly, I don't appreciate being told I have no common sense. Secondly, I was setting up the screen using the avia DVD last night. Interestingly enough, one of the test patterns to set black level had half of the screen grey, half of the screen black. Apparently they do this because most screens use a method of automatic contrast adjustment and take an average of the light/dark levels on the test pattern to determine whether to make the adjustment. Seems the contrast adjustment isn't a defect after all, but on some screens the auto setting can be switched off which I believe it can't on the pv500 series. Personally, I've seen the contrast change once on my pv500 when I first took it out of the box. Using these forums and the dealers in my area, I made an informed decision on which plasma to buy and I consider it money well spent.

Money and common sense, eh - now theres a thing! :eek:

24. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I watched the first episode of Bleak House (BBC1 via Sky) last evening and it had excellent picture quality on my 42PV500 with plenty of dark scenes and the blacks were very,very black. :thumbsup:

25. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In my experience, in very dark scenes/movies (i.e, Sin City, Alien), black will appear as a very dark grey.
    In scenes/movies where black occupies only small portions of the screen, it will look almost as dark as the display inner-frame.
    The perception of the level of black varies also with external lightning condition (back-lightning, daylight, complete darkness...).

26. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I just been checking out some plasma's this afternoon in a shop that has some plasma's setup really well (all in small dimly lit rooms with a 2 person couch, very soft light at the sides and surround system, pretty nicely done). Anyway, I noticed that my 42PF9966/10 showed about the same blackness as the Panasonic Viera on display (although they weren't exactly side by side); and both showed dark grey instead of black. What was very apparent though is that the Samsung plasma's next to it showed VERY VERY deep blacks. Is Samsung known to be so good at this? I'm still debating whether or not to sell my Philips and get a Panasonic. The main thing that annoys me about my Philips is the VERY apparent solarization and I can't find any setting to make it go away (any hints?)

27. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with acrmorris....that was a bit uncalled for and rude saying Panny owners have more money than sense rover.....most of us are just trying to buy the best TV for our money

28. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lapino, the only thing i didn't try with the Philips was having a professional ISF calibration. Used Avia and DVE with no success. The Philips actually nearly put me off plasma as I have a perfectly good projector for films and just wanted to upgrade the CRT. Glad I persevered with the plasma route though. I agree with the black levels, both seem to be just dark grey in a dark room, although I did see significantly more detail in the Panasonic during dark scenes.

29. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Guess I'll have to take the plunge anyway. I have some1 willing to take over my Philips, so money isn't exactly the problem. I'm very much debating three options now: Philips 42PF9830 (which I migh be able to get for VERY good price, like 3000€ !!, but unlikely, the Panasonic 42PV500 or the Sony KLV-V40 (TFT). Any opinions on this?

30. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Just think of it like this, at least our blacks are better than our LCD lovin' friends :)

Backlight leakage anyone?