1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How big is your pile?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Hawklord, Apr 27, 2003.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    My collection now stands at over 400 films:eek: and it's still growing. I'm soon gonna have to trade my one bed flat (in the southeast) in for a row of houses up north at this rate.
    My to watch pile is currently at 82 films:blush:
    I'm thinking I'm never gonna get to the bottom of 'em at this rate. I think the sensible thing to do is hold off buying anymore for a while .
    But once you've got the bug and when u spot a bargain it's hard not to part with your hard earned cash especially with all the choice we have these days.

What's everybody elses to watch list like? Are we all in the same boat?

Has anyone got any sensible ways of storing high volumes of dvd's?

cheers:zonked:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some great classics coming out soon- Zulu, The Flight of the Phoenix, Blue Max, Sink The Bismark, 633 squadron, The Battle of Britain, The Desert Fox...

3. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To watch pile? :confused: Whats one of them. :laugh: I watch my films the night i get them, thats why i order films. To watch them.

Even if i want to watch a film that night :rolleyes: i'll go to Woolworths, Tesco's, Game ect :rolleyes: and buy one. :nono:

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I tend to look at what films are coming out in the future and pre-order. U can sometimes loose track of how many you've ordered and can find a mountain of films on yur mat in the morning after the posties been.

5. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats the thing, i only order 1-2 a week, sometimes non for a couple of weeks. Depending on the funds.:(

6. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have only bought Road to Perdition since my PJ went pop and I refuse to watch it until I get my beloved PJ back.!

7. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You are not alone Hawklord, I currently have over 800, so many that I need to add to the five full height bookcases i currently use to store them. As for the 'to watch pile' I have lost track but reckon it could tie me up for a week and a half at least.:rolleyes:

My be the thing to do is sell up and start renting from one of those internet sites. I have noticed that when I rent I am more likely to watch probably because they have to go back afterwards. :)

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hawklord,

82 films to watch is a lot, but not impossible. I had a 75-strong 'to watch' pile a couple of months ago due to me buying up loads of bargains over Christmas. Took me a while to get through them all. I set myself a minimum requirement of 3 films a day. Sometimes I watched 5-7 films a day. As the late, not so great Roy Castle used to say, "Dedication's what you need" :D

Better watch them though buddy, as you may find some are faulty and need exchanging (I found I had a few like this).

However, if you really don't actually have time to watch all those movies, then there's no point buying them - may as well rent instead. But bear in mind that you've probably got many years before you die so you've got lots of time. Maybe you can save them all up for your retirement years (assuming the technology is not defunct by then). There's a cheery thought for you :laugh:

I'm approaching 550 now (including those on order), but have to prune my collection every so often to make room for new movies. I can probably accommodate 600 with current storage space, then I'm really stuffed. I was stuck at 400 for a while but I gave away almost all of my VHS collection to free up room for another 200. I tend to double up on shelves, so have 2 rows of DVDs on each, rather than one, enabling me to store 50 regular DVDs (i.e. standard keep cases) on each shelf. My cabinet will take 3 rows of 25 on each shelf, which helps too. Doubling up might be on option for you. Because not all spines are visible though, you would really need to do as I do and rely on DVD Profiler for choosing what to watch and alphanumerical ordering on the shelves is essential for locating items.

I do rewatch DVDs so I can fully justify my collection. I don't re-watch them as often as I would like, but we can't have everything. It's taken me 13-14 months of manic buying to build my collection up to this size (only had my home cinema for that time), so naturally I've spent almost all of my time just watching stuff for the first time as it's been arriving. As the years go on and I spend time buying new releases rather than back catalogue stuff, I'll naturally spend even more time re-watching my existing DVDs.

Well one more will be winging its way to you shortly ;)

9. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And a bargin it is. :smashin: :smoke:

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,233
    :eek:Blimy that’s more than I have in my entire collection at the present.

11. themoron

themoron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My God, I am so out of my league here, I only have 126 so far (which I thought was a substantial amount). I have 18 that I have not yet seen but that does include three box sets. I have the Brett Sherlock Holmes series on preorder so I had better get watching.

I will be watching more film anyway now though as I have just got my first Projector. :clap:

Anyway I think the best way to stop buying DVDs is to max out your credit card/s like I have just done. I feel as if one of my arms has been chopped off without it. :suicide:

themoron :mad:)

12. Quinnsey

Quinnsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You guys must be loaded... I've only got 30 DVD's and they've all been watched about 10 times :)

13. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I'm not loaded as such. I have no dependants and I don't drink or smoke. I tend to spend my disposable income on my main hobbies which are home cinema and Computing in the main.
    I'm currently single at the moment so don't have a costly woman in tow either which helps (not that women don't pay their way these days!) and i'm not into going abroad on holidays much either.
    I guess it's how you choose to spend your money not on how much you have to spend.
    It's taken the best part of three years to collect all my films so averaging it out thats about £120 per month. Some people spend that on beer and fags easily and don't tend to have anything to show for it.(apart from a hangover and wheasing cough!)

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly. I'm passionate about movies, so I spend money on it, but its of course at the expense of other things.

There are many bargains to be had as well. Getting all the DVDs on your backcatalogue is not as expensive a process as one might think - the DVDs are older and thus much cheaper. The various DVD e-tailers around the world differ substantially in the prices they charge too - you would be surprised the amount of DVDs I've picked up for £7 or £8 new which would've cost £15 or £16 from the likes of Play. Just last week I picked up a few brand new R1s, each costing just £4 delivered! The trades section of the forum here is also a useful source of bargains. Not many of my DVDs were bought at full price (including new releases).

So how have you stored yours Hawklan? You still haven't told us :D

15. Quinnsey

Quinnsey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point Hawklord :smashin:

16. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I stopped counting at 100 last week! I've just under 400 disks. A lot of these discs are stuff I had on laser and when I sold all that I replaced most of 'em with DVDs. So I've haven't watchem - just stuffed them on the shelves. Plus recently there have been some bargains both on e-tailers and the swaps forums so I've just lapped them up. In the last month I've probably spent about £600 on discs (although to be honest £300 of that was on star trek next gen 2-7). Hell I even bought 17 in go on Friday

My name is Graham, and I'm addicted to buying disks

I've got 40 discs on order at the moment. There is a few pre-releases in that but I don't order too far in advance. There about 20 on my whish list which are discs that are pre-release too far in advance, eg, alien quadriliogy.

I see it like this. I spend £5-£10 on a disc, if I like it I'll get at least 2 viewings out of it is making on par with a rental. If I dont like it I'll sell it or trade it and its maybe cost me a pound or so - less than the cost of a rental.

I too dont get out much :)eek:), dont smoke, and only drink at home so most of my disposable income goes on my hobby.

17. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260

I'm currently storing them in a cheapo argos six tier book shelf but do not have the room in my flat to fit another one.
    Until some one comes up with a cheapish and easy method of storage they'll be lyin around the place in different cubby holes.:laugh:

18. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207

i have a big unit that'll hold them if you care to send them to me;)

19. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I'm sure it'll be more than adequate but,I'm afraid you'll not be able to afford the shipping fee.:D

In fact I'm sure it'd be even cheaper to buy them all new over a period of a few years- just like I have:devil:

nice try:smashin:

20. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    blast another cunning plan foiled :(

21. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some 403 according to Profiler...

I store them on Ikea full height 'Billy' bookcases....

22. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I use billy too - with extra shelves. Currently have eleven shelves full, only a few more to go before I have to double up

23. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    From where? and what where they?

24. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.dvdsoon.com

Can't remember all the titles, but they were ones I hadn't heard of, which sounded good when I checked them out at imdb.com

The ones I remember are Simply Irresistable (Sarah Michelle Gellar :devil: ), Waking Life (which was a great animation on some rather deep philosophical subjects) and Beyond Suspicion (Jeff Goldbluum and Anne Heche).

They had loads in the £5-£7 price range too, stuff like Affliction and so on.

25. jackjones

jackjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I must have the biggest unwatched pile as I am addicted to putting sealed bargain DVDs on the shelf. Currently about 550, 95% unwatched, and all bought since last summer. Utter madness (plus two trips to the US and Canada with empty bags and a DVD nut friend). Too many £8 and under good DVDs around.

I friend of mine has the storage solution- throw away the boxes, put the discs in those 200 CD wallet cases and the covers in a drawer. Takes the fun out of lining the wall with them though.

26. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dial 0845-DVD-HELP :eek:

Wouldn't work for me either. Haven't got anywhere to store the boxes other than where they are at the moment :D

27. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha you're in for a shock mate!! It's like a 60s disney film, complete with talking crab!:D :eek:

get Harvard Man if you're after SMG in a rude mood!

28. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched it already! In fact, watched it the day it arrived :D Quite enjoyed it, the crab was ace :rotfl: He doesn't talk though :nono: He does a Roger Moore throughout :laugh:

More revealing than Cruel Intentions?

29. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just hitting the 400 mark. I’ve lent quite a lot out to friends so probable have to replace them! About 10 to watch.

Had about 200 VHS tapes and numerous CDs on shelves, now replacing them with DVD. Nice that they bought out a format that takes up less space than it’s predecessor!

One of the pleasures of buying DVD is unwrapping them to find what they have inside. Will it be the little book of recent releases or just a cheep bit of paper masquerading as the information sheet? I could never have an unopened DVD on the shelf.

30. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    several sex scenes, you don't see anything (you didn't expect Buffy to bear all did you?) but you get the idea.