1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How big is the smallest data CRT?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by JohnAd, Nov 7, 2001.

1. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    In my seemingly endless quest to find a projector I'm coming back round to CRT's, however I still know that anything bigger than say about 2 feet square is out. So I think that rules out the 808s and maybe even the 700 series as well.

So what is the smallest CRT capable of decent progressive scan at 72/75Hz? anything over 525 horizontal lines would be good.

Budget up to about 3-4000 second hand OK. Will probably need to be coffee table mounted if that makes any difference.

Or can anyone suggest a digital projector capable of displaying RGB properly at any refresh rate between 50 and 75 without tearing. The only ones I know are the DILAs and they are bit out of my price range.

Thanks

John

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I'm not sure about small CRTS, but digital projectors just don't seem to be able to do anything other than 60Hz without some tearing. My Plus does a reasonable job at both 72 and 50 Hz but it does tear from time to time and the panning doesn't look any more smooth to me. The Radeon 8500 is supposed to help with tearing/panning problems so it might be worth waiting to see what people report. I should be going to the US in a couple a weeks, I might try to see if I can get an 8500 then.

Jeff

3. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Jeff

Thanks, I think the tearing is caused by the electronics in cheaper projectors converting everything back to 60Hz internally using double buffering, this can cause tearing. Even if they use triple buffereing to do the convertion you still don't get rid of the judder at the good rates which is why I'm lokking for a projector that does what it's told.

The 8500 might be very interesting to try because we can drive the component inputs directly, there might be more scope for putting out of spec refresh rates on the other inputs.

John

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Good point, my Plus does accept component so I will be able to try this.

Jeff

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as far as i know most 7" crts are below 2'x2' . my electrohome ecp 4500 i am feeding it a resolution of 1024x768 75hz with no problem at all (no overlap ect) cost me 1200 quid . the big crts you are talking of are so big becouse they have 8 and 9 inch tubes they need a big case to house them .

a 7" data projector takes up a lot less room than you would think . build a nice coffee table around it and you won't even notice it's there and you have somwere for the remotes:D

mine is ceiling mounted but my coffee table takes up more floor room than the pj would

6. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    squid

Cheers for the info.

Where did you get yours? sounds like good value to me even if you have to get it serviced by Roland/Gordon every year still probably compares well to digital

Also how noisy is it?

John

7. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the ecp is quite noisy as far as crt gos . there is a fan mod you can do to it but i hav'nt got around to it yet (sounds like a pc ) i have heard lcd a lot worse .

i got mine from projectorvision but i would say stay away from them . when i had a problem i was ignored and have been to this day 6 months later .

as for setting it up i did it . after a lot of questions over at www.avsforum.com . i got the manual and service manual from over at http://beamer.xs4all.nl/. you can do it . i may not have perfection but i'm happy

when it comes to price if you are happy with a 7inch pj then you can pick one up for well under 1000 . it's when you go up to 8inch crts that the price tends to go up in line with the size

you may want to consider a sony if not the ecp you can find a lot of info on these over at www.projectorspecs.com . they have manuals for a lot of the sonys . i have found that the best thing to do is download manuals if you can then you can see exactly what a projector is capable of (you get a better idear than just asking questions)

i think the 12xx projectors are around the same size as the ecp and the higher modles can handle high resolutions with ease

8. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Squid

Thanks for the great info. :eek: I've got a bit of reading to do by the looks of it.

I'm very excited by your suggestion that I could pick one up for a grand. Any more clues on this one, PM me if it's not suitable for the forum.

So far I've been offered a Barco 701s but that was a lot more than a grand.

John

9. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try contacting roland or gordon on this forum directly they may be able to help .

the mane thing is to keep your eyes and ears open . you may be able to find somthing on e-bay just be carfull when handing cash over .

if you don't mind importing from the US there are a few people over on the avsforum that are respected and sell resonably prices projectors (the big problem with this is import duty ect.)

there are some great bargains out there the big problem is finding them ;)

good hunting

10. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers

I'll get searching. a quick spec review reveals that the 701s only does 35kHz which won't be enough for me.

I'll get on and pester Gordon and Roland.

John

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The Vsion 701 was software limited to video (15.6khz) and line doubled (32khz) 35 gave abit of spare.

the Data version went to 50Khz

Later Barco brought out the Vison 708 (15 and 32Khz)
    Vision 708mm (same as a data 701s but bigger tubes)
    then the Data 708 which went to 69khz.

If you need to get up to 75Khz which at true colour is going to be in excess of 1024x768 you will have to look at Graphic 808, Sony G70 or E'home 7500 all of which are 8" electromagnetic focus (EMF)

12. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks to everybody for your help so far.

I've just been in negotiations with the wife after checking out the throw ratios and likely projector postioning. Looks like the floor option is out but a ceiling mounted CRT and ceiling mounted electric screen might pass the WAF test.

I thought there would be a problem with the fact that the ceiling is 3 meters high but looking at everything again that might not be too much of a problem. Am I right about this?

For the screen I'll want a 16:9 one that comes down. Has anyone made a 16:9 out of an 4:3 by blacking out the top bit or do they do screens for this situation so that the top of the screen is some way down from the mechanism.

John

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    They do 16:9 screens with as big a drop as you require. 3M high is only a problem f you want the screen low on the wall

Gordon

14. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gordon

Thanks for that, would I order one of those from you? Ballpark price for an electric 90 inch wide one? PM if that's against forum rules.

All this is still in the planning stage as we're getting loads of building work done, but I'll need to tell them where to put all the wiring, holes, lights etc.

John