How big is the difference between HDMI and component?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Chris1234, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Chris1234

Chris1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at getting Sky HD and an HD ready plasma or LCD screen.

I already have a DVD recorder with component out and optical sound, and a Yamaha amp with component in/out and optical in.

Unfortunately, the amp doesn't have hdmi, hence my question. I would like to run everything through the amp for easier operation, but how much difference is there in picture quality?

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Try it and see what you think.

3. David Robinson

David Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    There's nothing wrong in principle about using analogue component connections for HD - my Sony V-series TV converts the HDMI to analogue component as soon as it reaches the set...

However if your amp is not designed for HD, it may degrade the HD signal significantly due to inadequate bandwidth.

Your best bet is to feed the Sky HD directly to the TV using HDMI. The audio can probably be taken through the amp using optical, although there is a possibility of lip sync problems due to the video processing delay in the TV, in which case the solution may be to take the audio from the TV as analogue.

4. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +322
    I run SKYHD via HDMI and Component to my 50" plasma at the sametime and switched between both. The only difference to picture quality I have spotted was an unnatural default contrast level when using HDMI.

Some people do report the HDMI picture being sharper but I don't see that and not sure if that's just a higher default sharpness setting as well :)

The only other difference I've spotted is that with component the picture comes on instantly when you switch everything on where as HDMI shows the stupid "Certifying HDMI connection" for a while before showing the picture...which is obviously an irritant and not a benefit :rollyeyes:

5. bliss007

bliss007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component is old and HDMI is really DVI + upto5.1 sound and can add protection like HDCP.

I dont get any lag or msg about HDMI on screen :confused:

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    Hello all

Digital Component (YCbCr or RGB on HDMI) and Analogue Component (YPbPr on 3RCA) ought not too look too dissimilar - in practice some kit and combinations of kit may look better over one connection vs. the other.

As JUS points out if your doing a comparison between the two be aware that you may need to make User adjustments to contrast, brightness etc on your Display for each Input - most Displays will store separate settings for each Input type.

As David Robinson points out if you are going to run the Digital (HDMI) or Analogue (3RCA) via a switch or AV Receiver ensure the signal is not being degraded on the way through the switch.

There is nothing 'old' about Analogue Component video - its more than capable of very high quality SD and HD transmission.

Joe

7. bliss007

bliss007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never said it was old and outdated, but its old and been around ages, also I stated HDMI can be protected with HDCP and brings 5.1 sound + video from 1 small cable

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    as long as you don't need it longer than 2m....then the cables start to get more expensive than the kit...unless you don't mind sparklies.

9. bliss007

bliss007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like everything new its ££££, good component were the same as still do cost fair amount, I see no reason to diss HDMI, to buy a £1500+ 1080p TV and not use it is pretty much pointless IMO.

Also you get 5m good quality cables for like £50, same can be said for scart, cheap ones can be bad and ones at £100 are a rip off.

I have used both with my 1080p TV and TV Drive (HD cable box), least you dont need 2nd cable to carry sound which is stereo anyhow unless you use a external amp.

10. Hk180984

Hk180984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I'm in exactly the same boat as the topic starter. Looking at a great home cinema system but the AV reciever only has a few component connections - no HDMI.

I have, at the moment: Sky HD connected to Samsung R7 via HDMI; Wii connected to Samsung R7 via component; awful DVD player connected to TV via awful scart lead (although I hope to get an upscaling DVD player from Aldi...Tevion 8000 iirc...not sure how I would be connecting this).

Anyway, I love the crisp HD picture I get through Sky HD and I've recently purchased a gold plated HDMI cable from play...so I don't want that to go to waste really. Is it possible to still use my HDMI to connect TV to Sky whilst also benefitting from the AV receiver (Rxv359 Yamaha)?

Cheers

11. bliss007

bliss007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HK, not sure on your set up, but if that was me I could use HDMI cable to carry Video to TV and in my TV Drive menu I can set "HDMI Bypass" which turns of the Audio to the HDMI lead and lets you feed it to a external AMP by another method.

12. Hk180984

Hk180984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be ideal as far as I know - not sure if Sky HD can do it though.

13. bliss007

bliss007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    Hello Hk180984

Leave the HDMI cable in place between SKY HD and the Display for Digital Video + Stereo audio.

Then install an Optical cable between SKY HD and the AV Receiver - when you want to listen in surround sound simply turn the TV sound to Zero and select the relevant Optical Input on the AV Receiver.

If you add additional HDMI equipped sources you will require a multiple Input HDMI switch and wire as follows:

SKY HD
    HDMI > HDMI switch
    Optical > AV Receiver

DVD
    HDMI > HDMI switch
    Optical > AV Receiver

HDMI switch
    HDMI > Display.

Joe

15. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132

I've got four 5m cables costing £8 each, not a sparkly to be seen :)

As to the OP's question, there was an article in one of the PC mags a while back, where they measured the output of several component and HDMI cables, at various prices. No difference was seen whatsoever.

I also remember one post somewhere where a guy got friendly with a store manager, and found that a $150 HDMI cable cost the shop $7 in bulk.

16. Hk180984

Hk180984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Joe - would it not be ossible to leave sounds on 0 all of the time so that I beenfit from surround sound whenever a program has it?

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    Hello Hk180984

Of course - I simply meant you may sometimes want to use the 'TV' speakers for the news and the like and wouldn't always require the AV Receiver to be on.

Best regards

Joe

18. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Just one observation in favour of HDMI......the display device in most cases HAS to scale (or even deinterlace) incoming video to match it's physical pixel resoluton...as we know, HDMI delivers digital RGB or Y,Cb,Cr stream to the display device whereas component connection delivers analog...so what are we dealing witn here?

Analog component goes through these stages:
    1) Conversion from digital component to analog component
    2) Transport through wire (possible loss)
    3) Conversion (Re-digitizing) analog to digital for scaling
    4) Conversion to RGB for display

HDMI digital goes through only one conversion process:

1) Digital component to digital RGB (matrix converson introducuces minor loss but much less than digital to analog conversion + some displays may be able to receive digital component but also have to do matrix coversion to RGB for display - question only being whether the player or the display do a better job at matrix conversion)...

Thusly, even though the HDMI data also needs to be scaled the data never exited digital domain and reaches the digital scaler in its native form with the least of loss, while analog signal undergoes multiple domain conversions...

Cheers

19. Hk180984

Hk180984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I see that - is very helpful. before I spend a lot of money ona system I just need some final claficaition!

At the moment, I am looking at the Yahama amp which has many component inputs but no HDMI inputs. I still want to be able to connect Sky HD to my TV using HDMI but also want to get 5.1 et al from the speakers....so HDMI picture quality and surround sound quality for Sky HD. Also, for my Wii and DVD player, they would be connected via component - do they just connect to the amp opposed to the TV?

Cheers again

20. David Robinson

David Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not necessarily...

In my Sony KDL-V40, the HDMI signal is converted to analogue as soon as it enters the set and is then fed to the source selection along with the other analogue inputs. Don't know how widespread this practice is... :rolleyes:

21. dnfharris

dnfharris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless I have misunderstood, I am puzzled by the suggestion of using Analogue component cabling when talking about HD which is surely almost always sent out as a digital signal. If you are using a digital source and connecting it to a digital display, then surely with an analogue cable - and hence output and input - you have 2 digital/analogue conversions, each of which has it problems. Would it not be sensible to use digital cabling for an all-digital setup? Yes, both good digital and analogue cabling can give excellent preservation to a signal, but why convert? (ditto if all analogue).
    I do appreciate that each cable type has it's pros and cons (interference, loss, reflections etc), but with good examples of either I thought they could be minimised.

Of course if anything in the chain is analogue, then you'll have to convert anyway.

22. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    Hello all

No matter what the theory says for a lot of folk Analogue HD and Digital HD will both do the trick and currently Analogue HD is the more viable solution for multi room and lower cost connectivity.

Hk180984 assuming you go with a DVD player equipped with an HDMI Output and want to use HDMI for both SKY HD and the new DVD player your connectivity will be as follows:

SKY HD
    HDMI > HDMI switch
    Optical > AV Receiver

DVD
    HDMI > HDMI switch
    Optical > AV Receiver

Wii
    3RCA (Component video) > AV Receiver
    2RCA (Stereo audio) > AV Receiver

AV Receiver
    3RCA > Display (3RCA to 3RCA cable)

HDMI switch
    HDMI > Display.

Keep in mind that other than the Movie channels a lot of what you watch on SKY is still Stereo.

Joe

23. Hk180984

Hk180984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component will do for the DVD player - not really looking to invest in a HDMI switcher as I have a budget. Therefore would it just be Sky HD:HDMI>Display and the route the sound through the reciever?

Cheers again - been very helpful and I appreciate it.

24. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    I can switch from component to HDMI (well HDMI - DVI) open my projector. With both connection having the same settings such as brightness etc. I find the component looks a bit too dark now. There is also a lot more detail in the picture especially the background.

25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,504
    Hello Hk180984

Spot on.

Joe

26. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Different inputs , different signal types , different video formats , different aspect ratio modes can all necessitate different picture settings to display correctly.

On my kit ( panasonic 42PHD8 , Sony HS20) there is zip difference between component and hdmi. Component has slightly more accurate colour primaries when its analysed.

In theory keeping it all digital is the way to go for a digitally addressed panel (unless its got terrible posterising in which case the 10bit or better dithering in most DACs should help hide smooth things out a bit) however in practice the differences between differing displays , sources and their implimentation is more significant than the actual picture quality differences between hdmi and component.

I'll be putting component from a Tosh A1 through a Barco dp100 on monday and won't worry one bit about the fact its analogue.

27. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    Same DVD and same settings (player and projector). I can output component and HDMI at the same time so, nothing is going to change except for the connection type.

28. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    IMHO there's nothing at all wrong with component video in itself.

I've seen lots of really great video sytems, and the best ones happen to have had component (or RGB) connections. It really isn't a limitation.

Implementation is, and in many cases, HDMI implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

Nick

29. Hk180984

Hk180984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  30. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Which exactly as I said means that both inputs may require different settings to be correct. Have you calibrated it? Have you calibrated both inputs?