How best to use HS2 DVD-R creation for compiling a TV series?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TP2K, Dec 29, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do any HS2 owners have any advice over creating a DVD-R (or two) of an entire TV series of 8 x 30min episodes?

I currently have each episode recorded to HDD on the HS2 but in a jumbled order.

What I am looking to acheive is to label each episode in number order, place the episodes in their correct sequence and then burn the whole thing to DVD-R.

I have read the manual and I can see to do this it's something to do with creating playlists - but an attempt this morning left me puzzled!

So, has anyone here done this? And if so, what advice can you give?

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Don't bother with playlists, unless you want them all to run consecutively without a break. Playlists are really for editing camcorder footage or compiling a music dvd where you want the finished result to run as a single program.

Use the add title function and give each program an appropriate title and reference number so you know which order you want them in. Then use the dub function, set from hdd to dvd, and select all the programs you want , in the order you want them to appeat on the dvd. Once you have completed the dub, using FR mode, you can finalise the dvd and you will have a full dvd with 8 seperate programs on, each of which can be selected from the dvd menu screen. You get a further option to add an overall disc title and select a munu screen when you finalise.
    Although you can play an un-finalised dvd in the hs2, finalising is important as it closes the dvd and allows it to be played on other machines. I understand that there is a limit to how many times an un-finalsied dvd can be played as it uses some of its spare space every time it is inserted preparing to add more data, and once this space is all used up it can no longer be played or finalised.

3. Yuccaman

Yuccaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Onlu thing I can add to Ken's excellent description is that you can repeatedly use the 'Divide' function if you have more than one episode occupying a single program on the HDD...

Repeatedly dividng is very nice when used with Sky+ Bulk Copy....

Let 6 hours of stuff transfer from Sky+ to the HS2 overnight, then divide, label & burn appropriately - Lovely :)

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in case it has not been done,don't forget to "partial erase" all your episodes to remove the crap before and after,aswell as the ads.

5. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, guys... Little Britain DVD here we come... of course, not forgetting the 5 episode marathon on NYE!

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Personally I would split 8 episodes over 2 dvd's as I think 4 hours on one will be too poor quality. Try not to exceed about 2hrs 15 mins on a dvd as the quality then drops noticeably.

7. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip; hadn't settled on a ratio to quality, but was leaning toward doing it as 2 discs... :smashin:

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you stick to 4 on a disc,you would be hard pushed to pick between a shop dvd and your recording.With 8 on a disc you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between a svhs recording and your recording

9. frothi

frothi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the dop in quality at around 2:15 for 4:3 and 2.35:1, but i' d swear it occurs around 1:40 when recording 16:9 sources.