Question How best to terminate the ceiling speaker cable?

crazyvish

Novice Member
Dear all, I am new to this forum and little knowledge when it comes to audio tech. I recently got my living room refurbished and fancied having some speakers in the ceiling in the last minute (The thought was to listen to some music through a streaming device). I did not want to install too many speakers so chose to have 3-speaker cables (chord company c-screen) running through the length of my living room. All 3 cables (individually) ended up next to the TV socket. I have attached the pics for reference.

Can someone advice me on
- using Cambridge Audio MINX C46 ceiling speakers or any others?
- how best can I use / terminate the cable at the wall end?
- What AMP / Bluetooth device would you advice using? (My budget is small. <£200)

ceiling_LI.jpg
Wall-socket_LI.jpg

rorton

so 3 mono speakers in one room? Not 2 to make a stereo pair?

As far as terminations on the wall go, my suggestion was going to be to sink in a 2 gang 47mm deep back box into the wall, and then use euro modules with banana sockets on them, and a euro frame to go around it.

As i was looking for a link to post a picture, i found this on Amazon: which is 3 pairs of banana plugs on a single gang plate - so you could sink a single tank 47mm back box in the wall, and then terminate the wires on to this, then have small leads that connect from the plate to the equipment.

Im not understanding the reasoning for having 3 separate speakers in the same room unless i have misunderstood - i think from your pictures you have a living room and dinning room in one with an arch in the middle - do you have 2 cables for speakers in one room, and then one cable in the other?

crazyvish

Novice Member
Thanks for you suggestion.

i think from your pictures you have a living room and dinning room in one with an arch in the middle - do you have 2 cables for speakers in one room, and then one cable in the other?
That's exactly how I set it up :)

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
How do you plan to get a signal to a three channel mono amplifier?

Ideally you would have taken two cables to the same location in the smaller 'zone' and then use an In-ceiling 'single speaker stereo chassis'.

Joe

crazyvish

Novice Member
How do you plan to get a signal to a three channel mono amplifier?

Ideally you would have taken two cables to the same location in the smaller 'zone' and then use an In-ceiling 'single speaker stereo chassis'.

Joe
I have no idea to be honest. I am just a starter and have rushed into, due to time constraints. I have just pulled 3 cables in total (1 for the smaller section of the living room which will be used as dining and 2 in the bigger section of the room which will be used a living/sitting).

I was expecting to combine 2 mono speakers (at their termination points) and make them into stereo when required but not sure whether this is possible?

I am okay with all being mono as well (as I think it will still be better than listening to music on my mobile phone ;) ).

I am now thinking of getting an AMP which has Bluetooth and/or can stream through WiFi. Any ideas on these please? Thanks.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Any chance you could run a second two core cable to the smaller section of the room or use the installed two core cable as a pull cord to pull in a similar size four core cable?

Joe

crazyvish

Novice Member
Any chance you could run a second two core cable to the smaller section of the room or use the installed two core cable as a pull cord to pull in a similar size four core cable?

Joe
I don't think a 2nd cable can be run through but I'll ask my builder whether it can be used as a pull cord. Just wondering whether its worth using a £45 cable as a pull cord? I can't use it anywhere else. :confused:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
£45 per speaker cable to partner a sub £200 Bluetooth enabled, two zone, mono amp - now everyone is confused :)

Joe

crazyvish

Novice Member
£45 per speaker cable to partner a sub £200 Bluetooth enabled, two zone, mono amp - now everyone is confused :)

Joe
Sorry for my ignorance Joe. The feedback about that cable made me to purchase it. I've had no knowledge about single stereo speakers before joining this forum. £200 is my max budget, happy to settle with a £50 even if the feedback is good.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You could consider a combination of three items:

Bluetooth ‘streamer/adapter’ with LR Output.

Stereo to Mono combiner

An old AVR in ‘all channel’ mode.

Joe

PS Ignore speaker cable Reviews next time around :)

crazyvish

Novice Member
Thanks Joe for your responses. I have decided not to use the 3rd single speaker. I am going to push the cable in and seal it up.