1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How best to start/wake an MCE box

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by markav, Jul 29, 2005.

1. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even though I only have one User defined, and I have set the password to blank, I still have to click on the Username to start Windows. I have put MCE in the startup folder, so it then fires up automatically.

What I really want is for the PC, from power on, to end up in MCE with no user interaction.

Moving on, I use the remote to power down, which does a Hibernate. Thats fine.

I am rather dissapointed that I can't use the remote to wake the PC up. None of the keys do anything and I have to press the PC power button.

Finally, after waking it up, I once again have to click on my Username before I get MCE displayed.

I'm sure this can all be made much more slick, but I haven't been able to crack it and so still have a keyboard and mouse connected :-((

Any ideas gratefully received.

TIA

Mark

2. deksawyer

deksawyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    You can configure Windows XP to automate the logon process.

From MS.com;

1. Click Start, click Run, and type control userpasswords2.

2. Clear the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer check box.

3. Click Apply.

4. Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.

5. Click OK again and you're all done.

For getting the PC in and out of standby using the remote, make sure your bios standby settings are set to S3.

You will also need this registry hack.

From thegreenbutton.com;

***** Use at your own risk *****

I'd suggest backing up your registry before attempting to use this edit.

Open up notepad and paste the following into it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]
    "USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000
    "USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

Save As: <Whatever You Want to Name It>.reg

Double click on the *.reg file you just created, and reboot ...

You should be all set!

Both work very well for me.

D.

PS there is also a tick box somewhere in MCE settings that will start it on loading windows.

3. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have mine setup so that I can put into standby and wake up using the remote control with no logon request.

Do a search on the forum for Auto Logon and another for S3 standby. There is lots of information about S3 standby and it seems to be a bit of trial & error until you get it working.

I'm sorry I can't give a better answer than "search", but it was a while ago when I got mine set up (after trawling the forums I might add!) and I can't remember everything I did. As it works how I want it to work, I'm employing the mindset that "it isn't broken so don't fix it" so I'm not tweaking things in case it all breaks!

4. hutters

hutters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ah, deksawyer knows most of the answers off the top of his head :)

in addition to get standby working, you may need to set some jumpers on your motherboard and then amend "allow this device to wake up pc" options in the device manager for the keyboard/mouse/remote devices in the hardware manager.

5. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FANTASTIC! Thanks all.

Couple of tips for those following this path...

The USBBIOSHacks key is not needed, and Microsoft even say it should *not* be used.

On my system, there is no "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" checkbox, but that doesn't seem to matter.

You also need to go Control Panel/Power Options/Advanced and untick "Prompty for password when computer restarts from standby"

Job done!

Mark

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    Maybe im over tired and missing something but just how do I get my PC to turn on and off by the MCE remote

7. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan, perhaps you are overtired! I've re-read, and this thread tells you everything you need to know (although Standby, not actually Power off/on).

As a final comment, despite doing everthing above, I am still stuck at the Welcome screen needing to type in a password after I have used Remote Desktop Connection to work on the MCE PC.

8. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I think you might be able to configure it to shut down instead of standby in the same screen in power options where you untick "prompt for password". There are options there to configure the behaviour of buttons but I haven't tried it myself so can't confirm whether it works.

You will always be prompted for a password when resuming direct control of a machine after a remote desktop session. This is by design.