1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How best to spend £5,000 on a home cinema set-up............??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sidicks, Oct 31, 2004.

1. sidicks

sidicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    OK!

So starting from scratch, if you had £5,000 to spend on a home cinema set-up how would you spend the money to include 1) Amp/receiver, 2) DVD/CD player, 3) Speakers and 4) cables ? You can assume that a Plamsa TV is already in place!

I'm not so interested in which brands of kit you'd recommend, as there are hundreds of posts on here in that regard (although obviously feel free to recommend particular hardware as well), I'm more focusssed as to the relative amounts you'd spend on each component.

e.g. Presumably there is no point in having really expensive speakers, if the Amp that is supplying the sound is :censored: .

Having said that there is clearly no point in having the best amp in the world, if the speakers are :censored: .

I guess my set-up might be along the following lines:
    1) Amp = £1,500-£2,000
    2) DVD player = £500
    3) Speakers = £2,000-£2,500
    4) Cables and Interconnects = £500

With the general principle that the speakers and Amp cost a similar amount, and the cables are circa 10% of the overall budget.

I'm no expert though, so would be interested in some more informed views !!

:lease:

Cheers

Sidicks

2. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose I spent about that (less actually) - see list below.

I decided all digital to the amp, with any upsampling/interpolation in the amp. That left only jitter from the CD/DVD, which iLink/firewire eliminates. I believe room acoustics are very important, but I'm not expert enough to set it up manually, so I wanted an amp with microphone and room equalisation. I thought I wanted DVDA & SACD, but in practice the amount of extra joy it has given me wasn't really worth it. I am not a believer in expensive cables. You'll do just as well keeping them short, and for loudspeakers, fat. I probably only spent £120 on cables, and there are lots of them.

I made my own speakers (www.iplacoustics.co.uk). It takes perhaps one day per speaker, and gets you something that might cost double or more ready-made.

You will want some sort of digital TV with digital sound out and you need to work out how audio/video is going to be switched between the various sources. So I got an RGB to component converter for Sky. Sky+ has digital sound out as has the Sony Sky box.

I believe any good AV processor fed jitter-free digital audio is quite capable of producing excellent sound through a Mosfet power amp. But you must set up right, which is not so easy. And upsampling/interpolation of CD material is worthwhile.

In retrospect: probably the AX5i would have been fine; my speakers are quite large and dominating - perhaps I'd go with something smaller next time; I don't have HDCP on the plasma so I'm not getting as good a DVD picture as I might (although it is pretty good).

I also have a few hundred CD's stored uncompressed in itunes, which are played out through a Revolution 7.1 card.

3. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I see you said amp/receiver. Why do you want a receiver? You'll get better sound from Sky (no sub needed), cable or freeview.

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I think that you have to be a bit careful in specifying prices. Amps, for example, tend to rise in jumps so after the £1000 mark there is a hefty jump to the next level: £1800.
    I think that there is something to be said about some of the multi-format players doing the rounds at the moment. The likes of the sub £500 SACD/DVD-A combi players are too compromised, especially if they are to be used for music of any kind. So I would put more into the source than £500 - rubbish in, rubbish out and all that.
    As for speakers, the centre is the most important one, so make sure whatever speaker package you get has a decent one. Following that, spend perhaps more that you would initially think on a sub as a poor sub will lessen your enjoyment more than improve on it.
    So, my £5000 breakdown would be:

Amp - £1800
    DVD - £600-700
    Sub - £1000 *
    Speakers - £1000
    Cables - £350**
    Remote - £150

* do get a home dem, subs are very difficult to gauge from in store
    **No more than 10/m for speaker cable (don't bi-wire it isn't worth it), ~£30 a pair for analogur interconnects and the cheapest wel built digial connects you can find. Component cables are very expensive, so if you are going to connect to a plasma, then use HDMI I think. I am not an expert in plasma's and progressive scan etc. so perhaps someone else can shed some light on which is the better route/options?

Russell