How best to share files over the Internet?

dogfonos

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the most suitable forum - perhaps a moderator would be kind enough to move my question to a more appropriate forum if they see fit.

I would appreciate guidance on this issue please...

I have around 15GB of computer files (photos and video clips - all either .JPG and .MOV I think) on my desktop PC, and copied to my NAS, that I'd like to share over the Internet with a handful of people. I would like these people to be able to download any photos or video clips they wish for a limited time period, say two or three months, after which I'd delete all the files. I'm concerned about the security of my PC and NAS and therefore didn't want to grant folk access to them, so I was thinking of placing the 15GB of files in some sort of cloud storage with password access.

Through working with an educational establishment, I have Microsoft 365 and it seems that Microsoft have granted me 1024GB of OneDrive cloud storage. I also have 5GB of OneDrive cloud storage through my personal Microsoft account (which obviously isn't enough to store all the files). I don't pretend to understand Microsoft 365 - it's a complete mess to me - although I have uploaded a few of my documents to OneDrive.

Question is: Can I use OneDrive to share these files yet protect everything else that appears to be on OneDrive (including some of my personal docs.) from prying eyes? Or is there a better solution? I'd prefer not to have to pay another provider for cloud storage although if this would be simpler than using Microsoft systems, I'm OK with doing so as it would only be for a limited time. As you would have realised, I'm new to all this so please frame any replies in layman's terms.

Guidance, advice and suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

You can share in OneDrive but maybe not from a work one.

Pay a few months for iCloud if you have an Apple ID. Sharing through that is pretty easy too.

I still use Dropbox for this. I've found it to be simple to set up sharing and permissions, and I can remotely manage it as well.

I have Office 365 at work, for some volunteer activities and personally. Depending upon the settings applied by the admin, you can use this in the way you suggest, but just bear in mind that the top level admin can easily access a private Onedrive and can alter the permissions you have set. For this reason, I would only use the personal account for personal items.

You could create an enterprise level security for your NAS using verification tokens as well.

I think it would be easier to share it over the net via Dropbox/Google Drive etc but it's really up to you.

You could create an enterprise level security for your NAS using verification tokens as well.
That's beyond me, I'm afraid. I also find my QNAP NAS operating system user-hostile.

Pay a few months for iCloud if you have an Apple ID.
I don't do Apple.

You can share in OneDrive but maybe not from a work one.

bear in mind that the top level admin can easily access a private Onedrive and can alter the permissions you have set. For this reason, I would only use the personal account for personal items.
Point taken. I'll stick to personal accounts only.
I think it would be easier to share it over the net via Dropbox/Google Drive etc but it's really up to you.
Agree, although I would prefer not to entrust online advertising/data harvesting companies, like Google, with my data - bit like asking a pedophile to look after the kids.

I haven't found a free cloud storage service that offers sufficient storage. It seems that Microsoft OneDrive used to offer 15GB for free with personal accounts but currently offers only 5GB. Dropbox is too pricey (seeing as I'm doing this as a favour). The paid-for OneDrive service, Standalone, offers 100GB and is only £1.99/month - that's acceptable.

What I'll do next is test out the security, accessibility and ease of use of my personal 5GB OneDrive storage to see if it works in the way I want. And if it does, I'll upgrade to Standalone and pay for a couple of months storage.

Thanks for your inputs, much appreciated.

I use Google Drive as well. You get 15gb free and only people you specify to share with have access.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom