1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW best to set an amp for DTS ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dUnKle, Jan 17, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    I have a Denon A1d amp and after talkikng to a few people I feel that I have it set uncorrectly for DTS sound.

Aparantly the settings should be louder and different for the LFE channel.

2. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you are right! The LFE should be deeper (almost extended).

On my YAMAHA DSPA2, by default the LFE setting is set to +0. Once I moved it to say +8 you could FEEL the difference!

A great test is the T2 THX Trailer!

PS - Also, if you have DRC(Dynamic Range Compression) for DTS, make sure this is in the off position!

[This message has been edited by Ace007 (edited 18-01-2001).]

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Cheers
    Ill have a look for that somewere
    Although the actuall Denon A1D is a bloody good amp the manual is terrible

4. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    Hi Duncan

A couple of months ago there was a thread at another home cinema forum. It was all about bass management, small and large speaker settings, DTS LFE pad settings and the rest. It was the most informtive thread I have ever read. I bet you'll find your answer in there and you'll enjoy the read. [​IMG]
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20001023-15-019078.html

I apologise for directing someone to another forum.

Cheers

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    WOW what a post, its EIGHT pages long already.

Any chance we can beat this ?

HOW SHOULD YOU CONFIGURE AN AMP AND / OR SPEAKERS TO GET THE OPTIMUM BASS AND BEST SOUND ???????????????????????????????????

How do you have yours set ACE ? ( Oh and sorry for our spat )

Just to get the ball rolling let me tell you my set up.

Denon A1D, B&W603s2(front), B&WCC6s2(center), B&W601s2(rear) and REL Q100E Sub.

I currently have ALL speakers set to SMALL with bass sent to the sub only.

I have the option of setting speakers as large and also to send the bass to the front speakers at the same time as the sub !

What do you all think ?
    Pros and cons ?

6. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    I think setting all speakers set to small, mixing the bass into the LFE will give the best results for most people.

I don't think anybody has true 20Hz-20Khz main speakers. I doubt many people can get 20Hz at 115 dB from their sub. (I know I can't)

I bet a lot people would be surprised at how much bass they're missing.

Cheers

7. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    DuncanWardle, I have a Sony DB 940, and am about to order B&W 602s/601s/CC6. I asked two separate hi-fi dealers the old favourite McDonalds question, "shall I go large?" ;-) and got two different answers.

Based on the above system having a separate sub as well, one answer was to set all the speakers to large, whereas the other was to set centre - small, front - large and rear -small.

DOH! Now I'm confused again...... ;-)

Andy P.

8. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ain't this the wonder of Internet ? You keep "going places".

Don't apolagise... I don't think anyone wants exclusives here... We just want to get/guive information [​IMG]

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

9. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that was in case Spectre is on the prowl! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Time: 11:30:00

[This message has been edited by Ace007 (edited 19-01-2001).]

10. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy,

Do yourself a favour. Set them Small. You will find that the Sub handles the 120khz and below far better than the Speakers.

Setting to Small also takes additional strain of the Amp and helps in the higher frequencies across all Speakers. Of all the installs I have done we have always set Small.

Once you a familiar with the sound of this setting, and by this I mean watched many films, change the fronts to Large and see if you prefer this setting. At the end of the day it is about personal preference so you should trade this yourself and decide. But of course you should only decide once you have a comfortable benchmark which is the Small setting.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

11. Jim Robson

Jim Robson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Originally from the wonderful Granite City, Aberde
    Ratings:
    +1
    As usual, I'm confused! I have a slightly unusual set up in that I have a pair of B&W 605 S2's (built-in subs) as mains with an B&W LCR6 S2 centre. I've a pair of B&W 603 S2 side surrounds and (for future use AVC-A1SE use!) a pair of B&W 603 S2 rear surrounds. What's the point of setting (especially) the surrounds to small when they are capable of producing substantial bass on their own? I might as well not have bothered and bought 601's instead? Is there something I'm missing here? BTW they are set to large at the moment and the bass is pretty impressive considering I live in a flat! The neighbours just think it's thunder!

Regards

Jim [​IMG]

12. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Something came to mind when reading the above. I have long been considering to go and buy a pair of 605s and put my 603s at the rear and then had a thought about the LARGE/SMALL debate.

The 605s have a built in sub, correct ? How is the sub part of the speaker connected to the amp ? Is it by phono or just by speaker connections ? If its by phono the surely the speaker can be set at SMALL as the bass will be sent along the phono cable. However the 605s must have to be set at LARGE is they only wire up by the speaker connections as thats how they would get the full bass.

Now the 603s are very close to being 605s but with one less driver and no sub built in. So you add a seperate sub to the system to get the bass. The sub IS connected by phono cable and so the speakers can be set at SMALL !

All the above is just a thought. I know from experience that the 603s are great bass speakers and have in the past run them at LARGE with bass sent to both them and the sub. However most of the time I just felt that the bass was being DOUBLED and on occasion the fronts seemed to get "confused" with all the sound

13. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Is this a bass management contradiction or what? I have a denon 3300 receiver. It allows you to select large or small for front speakers. It also allows you to direct low frequencies to front + sub or just sub. So if you select small for fronts, does it make sense to be able to direct bass to fronts?

14. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    The same is true for my Denon A1D.

After a weekend of tweaking I have gone for

ALL speakers set to SMALL
    BASS sent to SUBWOOFER only

15. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have my speakers set thus: centre & rears set to small, fronts set to large, & the LFE shared between subs & fronts.
    Then I tried the 'all set to small' route with the subs handling all the LFE.
    My prefered setting though, is centre & rears set to small, fronts to large, & all the LFE sent to the subs. This produces the best result for my setup anyway.
    As far as increasing the LFE for DTS goes; well I tried pushing mine up to +6. Result? Absolutely f***ing outrageous!!!! I played the T-Rex attack from JP, for my daughter & friends. I can honestly say that I feared for my projector. (& all my other kit). I like a bit of bass, that's why I've got 2 subs. But there's no way you could listen like that all the time. Even the girls screams sounded 'shaky'! Plus replacing a projector (no I wasn't kidding) is expensive. As a one off demo though, it was very impressive. Also, next doors bloody cat hasn't been near nor by since!!

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

16. nickeng

nickeng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol lol, I did the same for the pet rabbit when I first got JP on laserdisc...ha ha never seen it most so fast since...

lol

(sorry all you pet lovers...)