1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How best to organise/structure files MP3

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by mrussell96, Jun 28, 2005.

1. mrussell96

mrussell96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just set up my MCE system which is awesome. I have setup 3 main folders in my mp3 file store - Genre, Artist and albums. Basically if I have downloaded individual tracks I store it under artist/artistname and ripped albums are stored under album/artist name/album name. This works fine but the problem is that when I'm browsing my files via media centre by album view, media centre takes every track stored under artist and creates an album entry for it. This is really anouying as I now have hundreds of album entries that often only have one track in them. So for example if I only had one single track in MCE ie Coldplay - Yellow then MCE would list it under artist name and also under albums as Parachutes even though it's not a complete album. Can anyone advise me how to setup media centre so that only complete ripped albums are presented under album view ?

I also have a problem that if I remove folders from my music, MCE still lists them when I search but obviously wont play as the track has gone ?

Any help would be much apreciated

2. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    won't answer all of your questions but I used the regular media player on my MCE last night (MCE minimised) to tidy up some of my mp3 file problems. Media player has a library tab, select this and it'll show you all of your files and allow you to view by album\artist etc in a similar way to MCE's mymusic but media player offers more contol. The problem I had was that the oasis album I've ripped had all its files in 1 dir but had 2 entries in MCE - one for the 1st 2 tracks, one for the rest ... both with the same album art. Looks like the mp3 data grabbed from CDDB confused the id3 tag with slightly different album names (the 2 seperated tracks had Oasis in the album name) ... media player allowed my simple to move these into the other album entry in its library. Whats also key is the ability to right click a file to delete, select delete, then select "delete from library only" rather than deleting completely ... MCE picks all its mp3 data up from this library config so I was able to remove\reorganise tracks that MCE wouldn't let go of any other way !

Duncan

3. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    One important thing to remember is that Microsoft uses the Album Artist field (which is often listed as composer or band in tagging programs such as Tag&Rename). The name that appears in brackets after an album in media player is this field.

What I do to sort out my individual tracks is tag them so that they have the correct artist/title, put them in an album called Individual Tracks and make the album artist Various Artists. That way I get a single album in MCE that contains all my single tracks but still shows the correct artist and title when it plays.

If you're finding you have duplicate albums with some tracks in one album and some in another, particularly with compilations, then it's probably the Album Artist field which is different, rather than the Artist field. As Duncan says, use Media Player to check (you will need to right-click the column headings and tick the Album Artist field so that it's displayed). Personally, I use Media Player to check but I use Tag&Rename to manage the tags, it's much more powerful and also you can use it to quickly rename files so that they correctly reflect any tags you might be changing.

Slink