• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How best to format 1tb usb drive to EXT3

djc45

Hi,
I`m planning to add a second external drive to my Foxsat to archive my HD recordings (BBCHD). Due to the file size limit of FAT32, I would like to format it this time as EXT3.

What is the easiest way for me to do this. My machines are all windows. Now assume I could run Linux from a CD, but:
Which version of Linux am I best using?
Is it straightforward to format in Linux?, I have not used Linux before.

I really appreciate any pointers from folks that have done this.
Thanks

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Use a Linux Live CD, Ubuntu is good.

djc45

Ok,
Used Ubuntu live CD and GParted. Could only get it to format as EXT2, there was no option to format as EXT3.
Can anyone talk me through what i`m doing wrong?
I am using a 1TB Iomega usb drive.
Thanks

dazzaboy99

Ok,
Used Ubuntu live CD and GParted. Could only get it to format as EXT2, there was no option to format as EXT3.
Can anyone talk me through what i`m doing wrong?
I am using a 1TB Iomega usb drive.
Thanks

Hi there. I went through an internal HDD upgrade recently (posted here) using GParted, although this was with Ubuntu desktop rather than the Live CD. I'm fairly sure that GParted will be the same regardless, and that it should present EXT3 as a partition type. Ignore the partitions and sizes I used, as you are using a separate external drive.

Only thing that springs to mind is deleting all existing partitions (presume you are wanting to use the entire drive?), then overwriting the existing partition table with a new MSDOS one via the GParted options. This should then allow you to create one large EXT3 primary partition.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom