1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How best to digitise my Hi8 tapes?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dood, Dec 16, 2004.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    As you will have gathered from my other posts, I have recently acquired a tosh XS32.

I have a Sony analogue Hi8 camcorder which I hope to sell soon. Before I let it go I would like to use it to capture my tapes into a digital format for future digital editing and creation of DVDs. The plan is to use my PC which I have upgraded to what I think will do the job. What's holding me back is the lack of software and time contraints (2 little 'uns).

I have two options:
    1. I could use my digital camcorder to relay the analogue tapes to my PC. I would probably use a trial version of Ulead or something similar for capture. Editing, authoring and burning would then happen sometime in the future.

2. I could use my tosh to capture the analogue tapes.

My questions are:

1. What format should I capture in? I take it from the other threads here that capture on the tosh would be mpeg and not AVI.

2. Am I right in assuming that capture from analogue, even if routed through a digital camcorder, would not be in AVI?

3. What is the format I should keep my files in for future editing - AVI or DV or mpeg?

4. How does all of the above relate to capture od digital footage from my DV camcorder?

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    I went for archiving my Hi8 direct to mpeg using Tosh for speed. Couldnt get lossless capture and even when I could rendering on my PC took ages and didnt always give good results. At least with the tosh its good capture in real time.

Its worth doing this in the short term because its so cheap and easy to do.

You can still do option 1 at a future date

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    AVI normally stores DV rather than MPEG

Getting on the PC

First buy the biggest drive you can afford

Method 1 - D8 camera with Hi8 compatible mode
    Method 2 - analogue capture on PC
    Method 3 - Hi8 to DV camera - use DV camera to convert to digital

Any of these 3 will work

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you want to do some editing the mpeg isn't a particularly good format to store it in.

Try either to capture it directly to DV format, or if not try something like mjpeg, what you want is a format that compresses the frames individually and doesn't interpolate between them.

If you're not too fussed about frame accurate editing etc, then just dump them onto the tosh... beware though that DVD's don's seem to be a partiicularly robust format, archiving them to dvd-ram is probably the safest (I have some 4 year old DVD rams and still no problems).

5. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks for your comments.

It seems that using the tosh to archive onto DVD Ram is the easiest option for now (as I don't have the software and time to capture onto PC). My only concern is how workable will the mpeg capture on DVD Ram be for future editing on PC?

Martin - I have 2 hard drives, 80 and 160 gig.
    Methods 1 and 2 are out as it means buying even more hardware.
    Method 3 will work as I already have a DV camcorder. However, why is it better to capture onto DV tape first? I understand that I can use the AV in on the DV camcorder to capture my analogue tapes straight onto the PC. Have I misunderstood you?

Nunew,
    my option 1 at a later date could be troublesome if I sell my Hi8 camcorder in the meantime as it would mean having to borrow one later.

6. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I think you misunderstood. Martin wasn't suggesting recording on DV tape but using the camcorder to directly convert to DV for firewire output to the PC.

Incidentally the 160GB drive would hold approx 12 hours worth of video without further compression.

7. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mpeg editing isnt bad. Its ok for insert edits/trimming etc. Some mpeg editors around that do this. Most are not frame accurate although some are. In a few years time with the acceptance of DVD recorders I would assume there will be more and more PC mpeg editors that will offer good frame accurate editing.

But for things like transitions, titling and new soundtracks Its a bit like editing jpeg pictures. You are effectively recompressing something that already has been compressed and will lose some quality. Saying that it depends how much of a purist you are. Hi8 isnt particularly razor sharp as a medium so its not as thought you will notice