How best to connect sony equipment together, svideo or scart or phono

tony.

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good evening all.

First post but long time lurker.

I would be obliged if someone would point me in the right direction.

TV- Sony KDL32V2000
DVD- Sony DAVS300.

Cable distance 20metres routed under wooden floor clipped to the side of joists.

The tv has plenty of scart sockets and a svideo on the left hand side.

The dvd has a group of phono sockets and a svideo socket.

Am i correct in thinking that the svideo is C&Y, so visual only, so the dvd has its 6 speakers to output sound,.

Is the SY option the best way to go, the cable would be run well away from mains cabling to prevent inductive interference etc.

are 20metre sy cable readily available.

is there a british standard for this type of cable or what would be a reputable manufacturer of this type of cable.

handy with the soldering iron if cable can be purchased seperately.

many thanks in advance for your time

tony

That is going to be at the outer limits of what can be done with an S-Video cable.

I've heard of 30-50' runs but you are going to be around 66' so you may want to get some advice on possibly having a special cable made as the normal stock used for such cables may not be adequate for that sort of run.

Is there no way to rearrange things to bring the length down a bit?

mark,

thanks for the reply,
no tv is in lounge at one end of the room, dvd is hiden in cupboard at the other end, with a magic eye from satcure to transmit the ir thru the solid door.
other wiring has been installed for future proofing at that end of the room and i did get some installed in the other end in case the missus wants to move the tv, but practicaly speaking it really has to stay where it is.

Would a larger csa cable be better
a individually screened conductor with a overall screen possibly help.

what would be used in commercila set ups?

cheers

tony

75 ohm coax would offer you greater distances and it is easy to run S-Video that way.

Have a hunt on-line for either a ready made cable or the parts to do it with.

mark,

RS 754 375 available in 25 drum

RS 252-0231 looks more promising?
what would your opinion be

cheers
tony

thanks for the link mark.

the tv has rgb individual outputs, can this be tied into a s video connector at some point is there a suitable adaptor?

the rgb are at the back of the tv where as the svideo is on the side, so cabling from the rear would be visually better

What about svideo at the dvd end and scart at the tv? would this be a viable option.

Thanks in advance
tony

I've had a look at your TV manual and as far as I can see your SCART sockets only support composite or RGB not S-Video so that isn't an option.

The RGB component connectors are not an option for you either as your DVD doesn't have a component output.

I'm afraid the DAV-S300 is an extremely limited device when it comes to output options.

Your TV is equipped with everything you'd need to connect much more advanced units than the S300 but with that one it will have to be S-Video.

If the distance is a problem (and I think it sounds like it will be) you could use a balum, this connects 2 little boxs together with Cat5 networking cable.
Options are available for most connections. RGB scart would be the nest quality although I've had good results with S-VHS
Some Balums here:
http://www.lektropacks.com/view_department.php?department=3&show=3
You could get 2 S-VHS balums for under £40 and then a 20m cat 5 network cable for less than a tenner.

You could also use RGB scart balums but these are a lot more expensive

purchased s video lead from farnell, 20 metres £24
its cheap so if picture quality is ok will then upgrade to a better cable if required at a later date,

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom