1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How best connect the CD-82 ?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Barend, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Always used my CD player via phono out to the A85, but now I can also use the coaxial out to feed my Harman Kardon AVR-5550, which replaced the A85 to get rid of two completely different setups- surround and stereo.
    Any idea what is the best solution?
    What I think it boils down to is which DA converter is best- HK's or Arcam's.
    Am I thinking right here?
    Cheers
    Barend

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes, you are thinking right!

It all boils down to your personal preference. In most cases even the best AV receivers DACs are only good, not great for music. Therefore I would think you would be better useing the DACs in the Arcam, after all that is a large percentage of what you paid for when you bought the CD-82. If in any doubt though try both and go with the option that sounds best to you. You are the only person that needs to be convinced of your choice.

Mark.

3. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    If it were me I would be using the DAC's in the Arcam. Fo' Real :)

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for advice!
    I think I'll connect both ways, so I can choose between real uncluttered stereo and coax for surround modes, because I think using some stereo-to-surround mode the HK would have to A-D the sound again, right?
    Incidentally- yesterday evening I compared the HK vs the A85 for sound, must admit the Arcam amp WAS better controlled, but the HK was quite good, so I'll bide my time until surround kit is out with real good sound (AVR300 ?).
    Barend