How bad is the UK Marketplace compaired to the US Marketplace.

RobertJones207

Novice Member
I had a look thru the US marketplace last night. I must say they have alot more stuff than we do. I know about the TV and Films part of that and i understand that it is all to do with licensing etc. But come on surly the game demos, gamer pictures and themes should be same all over.

I downloaded the I am Legend theme and it is completely different from the UK one.

Why can't they just give the same stuff to everyone?:confused::confused::confused:

tdtm82

Novice Member
I had a look thru the US marketplace last night. I must say they have alot more stuff than we do. I know about the TV and Films part of that and i understand that it is all to do with licensing etc. But come on surly the game demos, gamer pictures and themes should be same all over.

I downloaded the I am Legend theme and it is completely different from the UK one.

Why can't they just give the same stuff to everyone?:confused::confused::confused:
Licensing rights are one reason why. Each company bids for its rights to display such items. If a company buy it then only that company can use that right. If a uk company buys the rights then only they can display it however it will be still open in the us. A us buyer will buy the rights but the product will be different due to copyright. Unless the buyer is overses like Sony or MGM or Universal.

Region 2 is also a factor and such like with movies. Also we have PAL where they have NTSC. The transfer process is costly and some films only have rigths in PAL in region 2 where some only have rights in a different format depending on which company bought it to produce.

USA is a much bigger nation than the UK so the market is different. It is also much less risky in the US due to the volume of the population. However the Uk is a better market to test a product on as it is small and companies can tell how well it does as a judgement for releasing on a bigger scale (if a big number is issued and it fails it is more costly). This is what the Japanese manufacturers excel at back in Japan. Betamax is an exceptional example.

There are Americans who think we get the best deal as we get a lot of great stuff in PAL. We take our doemstic products for granted. Also the import costs for the Americans are huge due to the devaluation of the doller and the recession the nation is currently experiencing.

Japan have got the best editions of Asian films and some us-uk. They release box sets with exclusive content to try to prevent their consumers from importing the cheaper option abroad. This is also with music.

In Japan you get bonus tracks which are their album exclusive but end up on uk b -sides. This is a way to convince the public to buy that album at their prices instead of the cheaper import option. Price; marketing and rights are a very costly business. Companies who get it right expand and companies who fail can easily go under or be bought.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member

I had a look at the US marketplace the other day and was also amazed at how much extra stuff they have. One example is the movie trailer downloads we have available in the UK. BAsically The lastest Predator Aliens ***** is the only one we have had available for months now, on the US marketplace they have tons of downloads.:mad:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom