How bad is the screendoor-effect on the EA100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tahustvedt, Feb 14, 2002.

1. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

How does the screendoor-effect of the Panasonic PT-AE100 compare to SVGA-projectors? On a swedish forum everyone that have seen it complain about the screendoor. I would think the screendoor would be slightly less visible than on SVGA-projectors because of the higher horisontal resolution.

I will be sitting at a distance of 2x the screen width. I was not bothered with screendoor when I was 1,5x SW with an old 3M XGA-projector although I could see it if I looked for it in some conditions.

I don't have the opportunity to see any projectors before I buy because the only local retailer refuses to demo them.

Thanks.

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    don;t wish to sound stupid, but can someone explain what this "screen door" effect is..?

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    its the effect you get from the gaps between the pixels. If you stand close to the screen you'll see it easily. Its as if you are watching the image through a screendoor, or mosquito net.

As you sit further away, this effect diminishes. With the PT-AE100, I didn't have a problem with this sitting quite close.

Apparantly, either Swedish people have much better eyesight than those in the UK, or tahustvedt is getting nervous - he's posted a few times about concerns.

tahustvedt, you really should try and get a viewing, or at least buy from somewhere with a 'no questions' return policy, so you can try it in your home for a few days. Thats what I did. Its the only way to know if the performance (for the price) is good enough for you.

Good luck in choosing!

4. skimber

skimber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't notice it on a 1800mm wide screen sitting less than 4m away... in fact i have to get quite close (< 2m maybe?) before it becomes a distraction from the picture...

5. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting nervous. :) Every time I find a projector I like, someone points out a fault that I would like to avoid.

The screendoor issue was the only concern I had left about buying one of these. I feel pretty confident about buying a AE100 now. All I need now is Nkr 19 877.- :)

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried the projector for the first time, hardly ideal conditions as my living room is a building site at the moment so I just stuck it on a shelf in the bedroom, plugged a dvd player into it, put on some headphones and away I went, i've just spent 2 hours grinning from ear to ear :D, I havn't even got a white wall, its some sort of greeny white, still looks quite good though. Watched it from about 6' away, the projector was about 8' away, the image looked to be something around 80".
    Hopefully later today I will be able to get my living room something like and try it on the screen, if its anything like what i've just watched I dont see me doing much more painting this weekend :devil:.

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I was projecting onto a magnolia wall, since I fitted my screen I cant stop watching dvd's. It really is better :D

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying not to get too involved with the projector just yet, all my system is scattered all over the house to get it out from under my feet in the living room while I decorate, I dont even have a cabinet anymore for my kit, allthough the new ones almost built, just needs doors, glass shelves and paint, but I suppose i'll have something set up by the end of the weekend ;).
    A little question about the screen, I have the same one as you Tim, the instructions say that when you roll the screen back up to pull down and then let the screen go up slowly, I tried this but it keeps going back into the locked position, the only way I can get the screen back up is to pull down and then practically let go, just slowing it slightly, or it becomes locked again, this seems to go against what the instructions say you should do :confused: is there any way of adjusting the locking mechanism ?

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Mick

You only let it retract slowly when you are setting up the drop, to roll it back I read that you should do it quickly, but without letting go.
    I woudnt want to go inside to see if t is adjustable, you may never get it back together, it's spring loaded remember.
    I think we both just need to practice.
    Have you ever noticed at work, or at a school visit, that the screens are alway's left down :eek:

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

It's really quite funny looking back, when I first tried to put the screen back up last night I had quite the panic attack, took me 15 minutes, even then it only went back up because I was getting mad and not being so gentle :mad:, anyway, seem to have sorted it now, its just a case of getting used to how it works.

Back to the decorating I suppose :(

11. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the screens at work are always rolled down. That screen has devloped severe waves and the image is very distorted. The right lower corner of the projected image streches out maybe 100mm. :)

It might be because of sunlight.

BTW.
    I have a motorized screen. I got it instead of the manual I ordered. :)

12. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Model B'ers!!,

You cheap sods...ya would'nt spend another 25 quid for CSR (Controlled Screen Return);) ;)

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calibos,

Has your Panny arrived yet?

Sent you a PM recently. Did you order from Miratec? Rachel now's saying they wont be available till March:(

14. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Kramer,

Sorry, I meant to reply to your PM. Yeah, ordered from meritec. When I ordered they said I should have it in 7-10 days which would have made it last thursday. Needless to say it hadn't arrived when I rang that day. Presuming they mean 7-10 business days then I should have it before Wednesday. Does Rachel work for Meritec or Panasonic???? I hope I dont get a call on Monday telling me I wont get it till March:mad: :D

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Calibos,

Rachel works for Meritec.

I phoned her in the early days of this month to get a price & demo of the Panny. Price she quoted at first was €2400+Vat. I told her of an e-mail from Panasonic quoting RRP€2451inclusive.

She rang back a while later, apologising, now quoting €2400, all in. I asked for a demo. She contacted the Panasonic rep, & said they would have one a few days later for a demo. Said she would phone me & let me know when it arrived. She left a message for me last Wednesday saying Panasonic now advise it won't be available until next month:(

She also said they have one ordered(maybe it's your one:D )

She is very courteous & has returned my calls on every ocassion though. You should check her out! If the voice is anything to go on.............. Your single right!!!! (Hope she isn't a regular of this forum!)

Just reading some of the other posts suggesting it may be available from Sound & Vision in Bolton for £1299sterling (in March) That's approx €2130, if my sums are correct:confused:

So I may go to the UK(have friends over there) in March & pick one up there. I'll have to demo it first to check for dead pixels:eek:

Not the best place for this post I suppose.

Hope you get yours soon;) Let me know when it arrives. What are you doing about a screen? Meritec also supply the Da Lite model B I'm interested in. So I may get a screen & organise all the cabling etc. so I'm ready when I get my Panny:D

Keep me posted:cool: :cool: :cool: :D

16. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    :mad: :mad: what have I done, I never noticed it on thier website :mad: :mad:

17. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim,

Thanks for your reply on another thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I checked out the CSR feature on the Model B, & the details are as follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

85465 Model B CSR Pull Down Screen HDTV Format

114 cms x 203 cms (45 ins x 80 ins) Matte White
    Full product description £326.80

Looks like the CSR would cost over £110 extra over the approx £212 your screen cost(not inc. extra drop etc...)

Would you still opt for CSR now if you had a choice? Not for £110 I'll bet
    :D

I've sent a mail to get confirmation of the price, but it looks fairly uniform across all the range.

Haven't seen where Calibos got the £25 from. Maybe I missed something:eek:

18. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Kramer

:eek: £110 :eek: no way!
    I must admit I am getting used to it now, it was a pain at first. If you have seen my photo's the screen is mounted on the ceiling, this makes it harder to retract it as I am only 5ft 8", if you mount it on the wall it would be easier, but then you would have to remove any pictures you have on the wall.
    I cant sleep I am full of Flu, but last night I wasn't even trying to put it back correctly and it went first time :)
    I think it does get easier with time, but £110 for CSR :eek:
    Under no circumstances must you let go of the screen when retracting. You just need to do it fast.
    The reason it is so difficult is, the screen lock's at 7" interval's, unless you do it fast.

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quickly got used to the screen too, I can just reach the handle so the 7" lockoff points arn't a problem, like Tim says you just have to do it fast

20. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got confirmation from Walter Stewart. The price I quoted above IS correct:D

Say no to CSR:p

Tim, Flu? I wonder. Pannyitis?

At least you've got something decent to watch now;)

Get well soon.

21. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Kramer

Thank's m8
    I dont think Pannyitis would look good on my sick note ;)
    The Mrs wants to watch the Brit awards :( maybe no dvd watching tonight.
    What does your other half think about having a Projector? Mine loves it, she even makes me switch it on for Friends and ER.

22. sraper

sraper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Well my other half is pushing me into the projector route :) she persuaded me to buy the 55" rear behmoth we currently have. However I know she would want watch Coronation Street and Eastenders on it :( :( Also we have "discussions" :) over the postioning of the main sofa! I want slap bang in front of the screen (at the appropriate distance). She wants it against the side wall (cricked necks all the time!) coz the room looks better that way! argghhhh!!!!

23. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope your feeling better Tim:)

I'm lucky (it would seem), as my other half is very much in favour of the Panny & screen. She knows I'm into home cinema/cars/birds!

I was when I met her, so she can't now complain:D

She also loves films etc... & would enjoy them more on the "big" screen.

Also recently, our ageing Philips 46" RPTV went to God, so we're not stuck with a 28" 4/3 Mitsubishi:blush: Choices, replace RPTV for approx €4000 or go the Panny & screen route for approx €2600(that's the best price available to me at present for Panny & your screen-living in Ireland-hence €uro:p )

All the measurements now done, should have screen & Panny in approx 2 weeks :D

However, I haven't mentioned to her the additional requirements:
    1. Upgrade PC(graphics, PSU fan, IRman etc.........................)
    2. Blackout curtains
    3. New speakers to compliment bigger screen(bigger screen needs bigger, more expensive speakers:D
    4. Tell neighbours to move out!(don't want distracting noises/vibrations disturbing my viewing pleasure)
    5. Sitting room to become a "no-go-area" during DVD screenings:devil:
    6. ...:confused: ........:confused: ...I'll think of something else tomorrow:D

Thanks for all your input Tim.

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Hi Kramer

I have also lost my big tellie, the 41" Sony has gone up to my son's bedroom, his mates were jealous of his 28" widescreen tv, another of my cast off's, but now he has the 41" his mates will be drooling at thier mouth's.

The blackout curtains make hell of a differance, I cant see my hand in front of my face at night, that is until you switch the PJ on.
    You could just say to her, "do you fancy some new curtains, oh and you can have some nice new lining as well ;)

I did another quick test yesterday, I felt a little better so I tested the PC again using my creative DXR3, the picture really is a big jump in quality with progressive scan, I do have faint vertical lines, but it maybe down to the dxr3, I have adjusted the clock settings which has improved it slightly. No screen door from the PC.
    I may be tempted to go for the Lecson progressive dvd player from Debanhams, when it's available, I would like to know what chip's it use's first though.
    I know what you meen about speakers, I would love some B&W 603'S, they rock, and dont need a sub.

25. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i've just demoed the ae100 at global hifi,newcastle.

must say i was happy with the picture,screen door wasnt a problem.sreen size was 6' and viewing from aprrox 12'.

the movie was mummy 2 using s-video.had a play with different picture modes,i prefered 'cinema mode'.cant wait to see the picture using componant prog/scan.

i'm definatley getting one now :D .for the price its a bargain.
    i'd rather pay £1400 and keep it for 2 or 3 years until lcd technology has reached its peak then go for a high end pj.

cod

26. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Same here cod, it's got to be something speciel if the image from my dxr3 is anything to go by.

27. codling

codling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    theres a new review with screen shots over at avs.

he is pretty pleased with the pic quality.

cod

28. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194

Tim, been in Debenhams today...and the new Lecson is in stock...£199.99 with 10% off this week if you pay with a Debenhams card:cool:

Had a good look at the manual and round the back of the player, has 2 sets of Component outs....progresive and normal !

Seems the old Lecson came with an "Upgrade" CD for Multiregion use....didn't see this for the prog scan player.

Looking through the posts about the new Denon prog scan player it seems that whilst PAL prog scan can be sorted by way of a firmware upgrade, this can lead to lip sinc problems.

I hoping to pick one up on Sunday...just got to sort this Mrs out 1st:rolleyes:

29. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Offer to make her the Sunday dinner ;)

I would love to know what progressive chips it has fittted to it, did you notice if it had Sage DCDi printed anywhere, these are supposed to be one of the best around?
    Also what did the build quality look like?
    Did it have VGA out?
    Let us know how you get on.
    You do have the Panny dont you? I need to make a list of owners, there must be quite a few now, maybe someone should start an owners club ;)

Thanks

30. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hi folks,
    yes let us know what you think of the new Lecson and its picture quality with component out and progressive scan. If you reply to this post early enough I might even nip over today and get one myself, let us know if it does improve picture quality.