1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How bad is refllection in full daylight on your plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Llanowar, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello plasma guru's ;) ,

I'm going to buy a new screen this week, and i've seen the new panasonic 50e and it looks just drop dead gorgeous, never seen a better screen than that (except high def on a big screen sony maybe...). But the problem is that i've got a LOT of windows in my room, it's really irritating on my currect crt tv, as i can never watch a movie normally during daytime in the weekends.

I saw the reflection on the new plasma's with their glassplate in the shop, but how is it compared to normal flat screen crt's? Is plasma so bright that you won't notice it too much or?

Thanks for any response, i'm really in a doubt about buying a plasma or a lcd (way less reflection...).

2. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i have two large windows in my lounge - one at each end - and the plasma is directly in front of one window

i have had to fit blackout blinds (they are white really!) to make good daytime viewing on sunny days

to be honest though its probably no worse than my previous 28" CRT which i put up with using only louvre blinds

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    My plasma is opposite a window, it is watchable during the day but pq is MUCH improved at night.

4. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My screen is on the wall, also directly opposite a window; it's tilted down but still reflects a lot and on very sunny days is annoying. Blackout curtains are the answer (or for the time being a strategically pegged blanket :D ).

Mind you, my previous telly was in the corner & it picked up reflections from 2 windows and patio doors!

So, don't let reflections put you off, there are solutions and it's well worth it for a better viewing experience; & as Lisa says at night the picture is fantastic :smashin:

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    it's pretty bad

6. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've got a 435xde directly opposite a bay window on the wall directly behind where my old sony 32" crt stood and there is no comparison in terms of how it deals with glare. The sony was all but unwatchable unless the contrast was turned up full or the curtains were drawn and even then you could see the reflections of the curtains on the screen. Whilst I have issues with the xde, in this particular respect it's really good and I can watch the screen with no problem without adjusting any of the settings.

7. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I used to get serious reflections on my old Sony Crt, it was so bad I had to shut the curtains in my lounge to see the picture in the day !. But with my plasma ( LG RZ42PX11 ) I get far less reflections and I don't have to shut my curtains to watch it in the day :clap: :D . My plasma is in the middle of my wall and my lounge window which is very large is to the left side of my seating position.

8. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, i'm going to try the new panasonic (pa50e) saw it today in the shop...it's incredible!! It's as close to crt as possible (with brighter more beautiful colours on top of that) and has such a high resolution, light has less influence on it...if it's still bad (which i don't think) i'll just have to switch it for a lcd.

9. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    See if you can get to see a 50" Fujitsu 40-series before you buy. It has an ambient light sensor which adjusts the brightness according to how much sunlight there is in the room. I personally have mine switched off all the time as it produces a brighter image. I dont suffer direct sunlight on my screen in the way that some of the others do but the room is very light in the daytime, with three sets of windows, one of which is floor-to-ceiling and I have no problems.

10. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic PE50/PA50 also has a light sensor. Panasonic call it 'Contrast Automatic Tracking System (CATS)'

11. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Hasn't my PW7 got that?
    I think I read about it in the manual, and there is an auto mode in the settings

12. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ambient light can be a problem. We are lucky living in Britain it’s not that sunny! But yes ordinary light can cause bad reflections and it is very much where you sit and the room layout .Investing in decent blinds can help.
    The lighting in the room does have a serious effect on picture quality. In the states Bias lighting is common with high end installations.

The quote below is from the second link

“All TVs require a darkened room for critical viewing due to their inherent limitations in light output and/or the desire for optimum contrast ratio and colour saturation. The colour, point of origin, and intensity of light in a viewing environment all affect the quality of image obtainable from any monitor as well as the degree of eye strain experienced by the viewer. A small fluorescent fixture, with a proper 'colour temperature' bulb, placed behind the monitor, fulfils much of what is needed to achieve the SMPTE standards pertaining to ambient light in the room.”

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

http://www.videoessentials.com/noteworthy_displaylighting.php

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_2/ideal-lume-lighting-5-2004.htm

13. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Damn it! I was so close to buying the PW7 from AV Sales but I have only now thought about the reflection aspect.

My current TV is a CRT rear pro which sits in a corner and gets no reflections. But a big reason for my wanting a plasma was to save on floor space and have it wall-mounted. So I took a glass fronted picture from the hall and positioned it where the plasma might go and I'm so glad I did. Reflections a-go-go guys!!! There is no way I could put up with it, and fit black-out blinds? No thank you, that's not practical.

Looks like I might just hang on to what I've got at the moment, or I might end up getting a DLP RP - I know some have a "frosted" screen, similar to that of my existing RP. Now, if there was a plasma with this kind of non-reflective screen....