How bad is my room? And sound setup help.

alienmuppet

Established Member
Reaction score
Please see re-post a little further down the thread.

Last edited:
Try using the camera icon just to the top left of the graph - it will create jpg of just the graph which will be easier to read.

Generally, the waterfall graph is the one people post on forums.

Here is my second attempt at this.

I measured the room using a Behringer ECM8000 mic in the main listening position, and used my BK400 sub connected direct to line out. I measured from 20hz to 120hz (is that high enough?).

My room is approximately 13ft x 12ft x 8ft high.

waterfall1.png

http://alienmuppet.com/~marks/LivingRoom/waterfall1.png

That ring (?) around the 50 to 60hz area looks pretty bad, and then the second one around 70 to 90hz.

I figured I had a problem when I tried to calibrate the levels using the ECM8000 and REW, but it seemed like I had to lower the volume of the sub too much to match the DB output of the other speakers, and I guess it is because of those huge peaks.

I'm guessing the only proper way to treat this would be to make some bass traps? Another alternative would be to invest in an Antimode, but I much prefer the idea of a passive solution first if it seems possible to treat frequencies that low in a small room.

EDIT: I have tried moving the sub around - there is one better place but it is not viable to keep it there. Other places seem to have bigger problems. It is currently facing the sofa and inbetween the TV and left speaker backed against the longer wall of the room, almost in the middle.

Last edited:
Anyone? Is that waterfall something that can be improved with something like Antimode / BDP or would a few bass traps be better? Or both? Thanks..

Anyone? Is that waterfall something that can be improved with something like Antimode / BDP or would a few bass traps be better? Or both? Thanks..
I think you'd get good results from EQ to trim down the modal ringing as the underlying decay times look pretty good already. If the room is completely dedicated and you intend to go full on into room treatment then that's a different approach that can work.

Try comparing waterfall results for near-field and listening position for each speaker and you'll be able to identify the room modes more easily and get a better idea of the decay times. Room treatment targeted at the problem frequencies will give the amp you use for EQ an easier time:)

See here for more information.

Is your listenting position facing the short wall? Where are your monitors postioned? Are you able to provide any pictures or plan of the room? Have you got any acoustic treatment in the room currently?

Thanks for your responses. I've been measuring the higher frequencies too and they also become a mess, so I think I might need a more broadband treatment though at least the higher frequencies are easier to deal with.

At only a foot away, everything looks pretty good, but a couple more feet and it all goes pair shaped (not literally!). Nearer the weekend I will post pics of my room and measurements taken at different positions, and different distances to try and get an idea of what might be best to improve it.

If you can show a plan and some photos we should all be able to give some advice.

Here is a plan of my room. It is roughly to scale.. I will post some photos shortly of my messy room as soon as I can find the lead for my camera..!

RoomPlan.png

And here are some pics of the room. Probably not very helpful but here goes:

LRPic1.JPG
LRPic2.JPG

LRPic3.JPG
LRPic4.JPG

Defo need some damping or at least some eqing to tame that ringing chap

Steve

Thanks Steve.

I am also considering using REW with the Behringer ECM800 mic. Might I ask what other equipment you are using in conjunction with it?

Jon

Just seen this and for some reason I cannot see the pictures sorry.

I use the Behringer ECM8000, good mic for the price

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom