1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How bad is bad? (RPTV)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Carl Wahl, May 28, 2002.

1. Carl Wahl

Carl Wahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've browsed this forum and lots of review sites for a while now because I'm in search of a big screen TV and are currently looking for a good RPTV.

I made up my mind (a few hours ago) to go for the Toshiba 42WH18, mostly because there seems to be so many happy owners of it here. But now I've gone from happy buy feelings :D to some serious doubt :confused: again.

So my question is this:
    Do you think that a guy like me, that currently owns a small, stinking 14" TV will be able to tell the difference between a Toshiba 42WH18 and, for example, a Thomson 52RW87ES or maybe a SAMSUNG SP-55W3HF? I mean, is the quality so bad that I shouldn't even consider the other ones?

I ask you this question because I feel that buying a Toshiba 42" feels a little stupid since I get like 10-13 inches more for the same price. And I might consider the quality loss if it isn't all that bad...

I'm sorry if this discussion already has taken place and are happy for all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance,

2. Anders

Anders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an older version of a thomson and I feel quite happy with it. But then again I'm no expert. I think you should go for the extra inches, I'm having a hard time seeing how much better a toshiba is.. Just my 2 cents..

anyone else?

3. ]|EGG|[

]|EGG|[

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Carl,

The step up from a 14" TV to a Tosh 42WH18B is going to be a huge one anyway mate, regardless of which set you decide on :)

If your worried about whether the Tosh is the right choice compared to cheaper larger alternatives just try to check them out in the flesh at your nearest electrical store and weigh up the features of all of them and reach a decision after having seen all in action and compared prices.

Is the 50" 50WH18B version that much more expensive than the 42" version over in Sweden?

I'm waiting for the replacement to the WH18B that's released in a few weeks due to the added bonus of a built in free-to-air digibox and also due to the fact that an engineer told me that all the associated problems concerning a production line fault in the Telextex board on all WH18B models has now been corrected on the new WT29 series.

If 42" is big enough for you I'd still stick with your original decision:)

All the best and I hope you enjoy whatever you decide on....oh and let us know what you do decide:)

Just make sure you get it delivered for Sunday to watch England stuff Sweden in the World Cup ;)

Right I'm off to kick Freddy Lumberg In the knackers again ;)

Cheers,

4. Carl Wahl

Carl Wahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anders: Thanks for your input (are you Swedish?) Nice to know that you're happy with the Thomson, we'll see if I'll go that way.

EGG: I've been down to the local dealers but it's impossible to see the quality and compare. They are tightly packed and they haven't set the convergence correctly. Also, there's too much reflections on the screen to see what's going on. And no one had the Toshiba set up. :(

Here are some prices from different models:
    Thomson 52RW87ES £2145
    Thomson 44JW610S £2034 (new model)
    Toshiba 42WH18 £2187
    Toshiba 50WH18 £2849 (a lot more expensive)
    Samsung SP-55W3HF £2292 (includes a DVD player, value £313)

As you see, there are quite some choices in this price range (actually a lot more than I have listed here) so it's hell trying to find the best bang for the buck deal. Also, there's no reviews of the Thomson models to be found anywhere. It's probably best to go with the recommended Tosh.

(He he, I'm not all that interested in soccer but enjoy watching it on occasion. I'll probably follow the World Cup this year though, there's too much media coverage not to follow it. :) I don't have any high hopes for the Swedish team though...)

Also, who is Freddy Lumberg? :)

5. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned a Tosh 42WH18B for about 3 months and i am getting them to take it back today.

All the prices you mentioned are incredibly high, i got allders to price match my tosh and got it with a free DVD player and 5 year warranty for £1780.

Anyway, RPTVs;

When the TV first turned up i thought woooohhhhoooo its ****in massive, i was overjoyed. However, the pic is quite different to a normal CRT and they are very sensitive to knocks.

The reason i am getting my money back is that i feel the RPTV is not right for me, and feels it does niether job properly, let me explain;

Its too intrusive, ugly, takes too long to warm up and not sharp enough for everyday TV viewing. However it did not take me long to come to the conclusion it is too small for proper film watching, its the kind of the size that teases you, if you were watching it on a 32" it wouldnt be a problem.

IMHO the RPTV pretends to be both while doing neither proplerly;
    as i said i have now got my money back and will be investing in a cheap 28" wide screen for TV viewing, better pic, less intrusive and dont have to wait for it warm up. And am about to buy a Projector for the proper film experience.

I am not saying this will happen to you but i remember before i bought the TV ppl told me that i will want a pj soon; but i thought my room is too small and the a 42" TV was huge and there was no way i would ever think its too small, but now evern my GF thinks its normal. Dont be put off by PJ they are not that much effort and more subtle than a RPTV, if you wanna know anything else just ask.

6. Carl Wahl

Carl Wahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was able to find a local Toshiba dealer today, so I went down there to check it out. Even though the convergence wasn't set properly I still was impressed by how good the picture could get (of course a regular CRT produces much sharper images but not at that size). I also compared it to a Samsung 47" they had set up next to it and it wasn't even near in quality. I also made a pretty good deal with some warranty, a DVD and a VCR.

oreoboy13: You've given me some perspective, but a projector is so much more expensive and I'll have to re-arrange my whole living room to set it up. The reason I'm looking into RPTV:s is that I've gone from consider buying a 32" to a 36" which was just as expensive as the RPTV:s so the choice became more and more appealing. And after seeing it today I almost made the deal there and then but my parking time was near its end so I said to the dealer that I would come back tomorrow.

I think I'll sleep on it and make the decision tomorrow, because now I'm thinking of getting the 50" Toshiba. Damn, I need to get my head checked... :)

7. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can get a Panny AE100 for a lot less than a Tosh RPTV and it will give you near on a 100" pic from only 3 meters

8. Carl Wahl

Carl Wahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok... I've now ordered and will have it delivered later this week, I hope I'm doing the right thing here.. :)

Thanks all that helped me..

9. data

data

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had four different defects on a new Toshiba 42WH18. So from July until October I was the owner of four sets of this type !

Now after the last defect I gave it back and switched to s Thomson 44JW610. Thank god the last Toshiba died again because the set is much much better. Much more brilliant, much better convergence, not so shock sensitive on convergenve than the Toshiba. Also the contrust is not as much dependent on the angle your eyes have to the screen.

My hint: hands away from Toshiba!!