How bad are the blacks on say a Panasonic AE300 LCD ?

gIzzE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I would post this in here and in the CRT projector forum, I expect 2 very different answers.

Any crt owners have any experience with say the panasonic AE300 or AE500 ??

I am more than happy with my NEC XG750 8" crt, the picture is stunning, however I am very wary of using it alot for everyday TV viewing with ambient light and whilst playing games.
I have the contrast and brightness right down whilst playing games to the point where any ambient light ruins the experience.

Also it is a bit of a pain as my daughter is now nine and wants to use the room for games and films/cartoons and I wont let her in on her own as I dont want to come home to Nickolodean burnt across the tubes, so I am thinking that maybe a panasoinc lcd (or a dlp from someone) may be ideal.

I could leave the CRT in place for serious viewing and use the digital for everyday use and gaming.

Will I be impressed with the results from one of these little digitals or will I feel sick at spending the money compared with a CRT ???

I had a Plus up880 DLP modded with a contrast of around 800:1 (slightly better than the AE100 when demoed against it) which I thought was pretty good until I got the crt, so how does the 300 and 500 compare to this ??

Hi mate. Glad to hear you're happy with my old XG. I got a 300 yesterday. I watched a couple of films last night with minimal tweaking and the picture was superb. Not much (if any) worse than your old Sony VPH1271 (which I'll probably sell now).

Kenny

yes, the picture is better than i thought it would be and blacks are good enough, i set up my boys gamecube in about 5 mins, no long cable run (put it back in his room afterwards) and AE300 has scart connection which is useful.
Only reason i am selling mine is it has to be quite close to the screen and i want to put in on back wall. cheers

I've not seen CRTs or DLP projectors, so I can't compare. The AE300 (I own one) blacks are not black, but this is true of all LCD PJs. IMO, they are good enough though! Not a problem for me at all.

thanks for the replies, and yeah really enjoying the XG still Kenny :)

Have you go yours advertised yet Cyrus, I will have a look through the classifieds for it.

yes, it has only 10hrs use and no dead pixels and you are welcome to demo it, but i cannot transfer warranty.
AE300 seems to have low failure rate.

I wouldnt be interested without warranty to be honest.
thanks anyway.

Kenny, how does the sharpness compare ???

And has anyone seen the 300 vs the 500 is there a big jump in black level ??

blacks are awfull on LCD. once i demoed a (good) DLP i could not except LCD. contrast just isnt good enough either. but i accept there cheaper so its a trade off.

I may just give it another year and see what the next gen dlp are like, my mate was round last night who has a Sony HS10 ?? I think it is and he kept going on about the picture quality on the CRT, and I was sitting there thinking everything looked washed out compared with dvd and D-vhs (we were watching sky) so I really dont think I am going to be happy with an LCD.
I am going to go round his and see what the sony can do and make a decision from there.

I dont know whether I want another DLP as there are so tiring/fatiquing to watch, I didn't realise until I got my CRT that the DLP actually wore me out watching it, I thought that my eyes felt slightly strained because it was a big screen and I was sitting in the dark. If I watched it for 3+ hours I would get slight headaches, and when I got the CRT and realised that I could sit and watch that for 8+ hours I realised that I was obviously working to watch the DLP. My wife and daughter both say the same, and a couple of mates too, none of us saw rainbows either.

Thanks for the input all guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom