1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How bad are the blacks on say a Panasonic AE300 LCD ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gizlaroc, Feb 6, 2004.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I thought I would post this in here and in the lcd projector forum, I expect 2 very different answers.

Any crt owners have any experience with say the panasonic AE300 or AE500 ??

I am more than happy with my NEC XG750 8" crt, the picture is stunning, however I am very wary of using it alot for everyday TV viewing with ambient light and whilst playing games.
    I have the contrast and brightness right down whilst playing games to the point where any ambient light ruins the experience.

Also it is a bit of a pain as my daughter is now nine and wants to use the room for games and films/cartoons and I wont let her in on her own as I dont want to come home to Nickolodean burnt across the tubes, so I am thinking that maybe a panasoinc lcd (or a dlp from someone) may be ideal.

I could leave the CRT in place for serious viewing and use the digital for everyday use and gaming.

Will I be impressed with the results from one of these little digitals or will I feel sick at spending the money compared with a CRT ???

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    For games and normal TV viewing you'll probably be more than happy with a little LCD projector. Sounds like a good idea to me, best of both worlds.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I had a Plus DLP (nec lt150 clone) and that was pretty good after a few mods, but things always seem worse when you downgrade, upgrades are always more subtle :rolleyes:

thans for the reply Jeff, anyone else ??

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Only to agree with Jeff. :)

Certainly blacks on such PJs will make you weep after your CRT, and ambient light washes out all subtelty from the image .. that said, games rarely are subtle in their graphics and often brightly coloured and aren't affected anywhere near as much. I could watch normal NTL TV on my AE300 with normal/low lighting and I'm sure your daughter will be less critical than us old f***s. ;)

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As a not very scientfic experiment I set up a single chip DLP in my demo room whilst projectors were being moved around. The idea being to allow our normal Saturaday night watching of a family movie.
    I had done my best to get the best set up the blacks were about as good as I had seen from any lamped projector

After about 10mins my 8 year old son piped up that the screen was all grey. Then they all started acusing me of not setting the PJ up properly.
    There is now the usual 9", 8" and 7" CRT going back in place.

I guess the moral is you can go forwards in quality but can't go back

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I know, that is what I am worried about.

I am in New York next week and was thinking of picking up a Marantz S3 or or Sharp 12k, as these seem to be doing rather well with the CRT die hards.

However I watched U-571 last night on the CRT and it is stunning! I would have to sell my NEC XG to fund the digital and I have a horrible feeling that I would regret it.
    Although it would give me the excuse to upgrade to a 9" or a XG135LC if it was the wrong move :devil:

7. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't move over to digital after being a CRT owner, its always a drop in quality no matter what the model.

I asked what model should I choose to replace my CRT and most replied with just get another CRT or you'll be dissappointed or some people recommended digital projectors that they already own - no ulteria motive there then :rolleyes:

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    I saw the Marantz S3 the otherday which I do beleive is a little better than the AE-500 :p and that still isn't right for me.

I have decided to spend the money on a upgrading my Lumagen Vision to a Vision Pro with SDI in, and then modding my Sky plus for SDI out and also either modding my Pioneer 737 or getting an Panny RP-82 and modding that.

That will then give me probably the best image I am going to get (within my budget) out of DVD and TV with SD material.

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    CRt is still king it seems

10. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would love to have the convienience of a small digital projector without all the hassle.

But imo the quality is just not up to it yet and I'm not prepared to compromise.

11. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second that - the day we can ditch our big monstrosities that take an age to setup and require constant tweaking, the better.

I'm personally very excited about the future of digital and I'm sure in 5 years time we will be looking at budget(<£2000) digitals that can rival any 8" CRT out there.

And on that day I will be the first in the queue to make the 'transition'.

12. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Agree,

Its not there yet..... I also had a dem of the Marantz S3, as I had heard it was about the best of the bunch at the moment for panel projectors. I thought it looked pretty good. Blacks were not bad, plenty of detail, but it just lacked the feel of my CRT and I know it would annoy me.

A good CRT has the ability to turn video into film, something digitals can't seem to achieve yet. (not at realistic price levels anyway) although I'm sure the day will come.

Rob.