how are your cheap screens holding up?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richard plumb, Jan 4, 2007.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    Thought it might be good to hear from those of you that have had these super cheap electric screens for a while, to see how they are holding up.

any wrinkles or other curves in the fabric? No issues with the stop position drifting etc?

I have a dalite manual screen at the mo (with wrinkles :/ ), and I'm tempted to get one of these electric screens to hide between my joists. Just want to make sure they last OK.

2. bagatanmd

bagatanmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    no problems at all. still going strong.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

3. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    indeed still fine here.

4. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    What they said...no issues whatsoever so far :thumbsup:

5. chestnut

chestnut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I brought a 1.8m electric screen of E bay for £165 incl postage to replace a 2m manual I brought last year. I was hoping for a better picture on my Z4 but was surprised that the coating on the new screen produces a worse picture. I can now see the screen door effect, which I couldn't on my old larger screen.

For the record both screen are viewed from the same distance.

So im a little disapointed, but im planning to tweek the pj to try to improve the situation or maybe take it down and replace it with my old screen.

All the best.

Chestnut

6. blicky_1

blicky_1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
  7. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    im using a z4 on the 2.2m screen and get no problems at all.

8. chestnut

chestnut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you see the edges of the pixels on a white background. The coating on the screen seems to have a slightly metallic sheen.

Regards

Chestnut

9. Scottbike10

Scottbike10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone asked for a follow up on how I was getting on with my Electronic Tab Tensioned Beamax screen:

I do still have the screen it is is very good. I am very happy with it.

To clarify I had some difficulty when I bought it. I mett Otto at a show in Brighton I think and followed up with him later. We discussed my needs and he was very helpful in designing a custom sized tab tensioned electronic screen (quite large, about 2.77meters accross).

The problems were:

1) it took much longer to arrive than he had promised. The Brussels office promised that it was on its way dispite the tracking info provided by the shipper saying that it had not left the ware house. After several assurances from Otto and his team that it had left, it was discovered that it had in fact not left. Something lame about a warehouse foreman being on holiday or sick.

2) When the screen finally arrived it was broken. The tab tensioning mechanism is held in to the bottom bar of the screen by a flimsy plastic hinge. This was broken on one side. Also the screen came down at an angle and the tab tensioning strings were not coming down streight. Otto assured me that he had personally seen it tested in the shop before it left, and asked that I return it. He appologized and offered me a good faith refund of 150 pounds.

3) I think he said it would take a week or ten days to repair and return it. I belive it took more than a month and a dozen chasing phone calls. During one of those phone calls his office assistant offered a further refund, though she was not specific ("we give you back some mone"). I was really getting irritated with them at this point.

4) When the screen did reappear it worked correctly and Otto was able to give me some additional instruciton for connecting the IR control (I think that the diagram wiring colors and the actual wire colors were not the same). But he refused to give me the extra refund, despite the added month delay.

So it must now be getting on a year later. The screen is terrific and I am really happy. My heart does skip a beat every time I lower or raise the screen, because of the earlier problem I keep expecting something to go wrong, but it doesn't.

So in fairness the screen is great, Otto really was helpful but it would have been much better if they got it right the first time, had not taken too long to deliver it, too long to repair it and reneged on the second discount.

Helpful?