1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are those Hours Going - AE300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Harb, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well how is everyone going with these great projectors?
    Mine has clocked up just on 110hrs now and still going strong.

Any Regrets?

Or is it Just
    Happy Happy Joy Joy.....

John from Oz

2. PIPO

PIPO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ONLY 10 HOURS:D

STILL ABSOLUTELY AMAZING

WAITING FOR A PROJ SCREEN THAT CAN CORRECT THE KEYSTONE EFECT.(WITH BLACK BARS ON TOP AND BOTTOM)

#1 IN PORTUGAL

3. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pipo,

Try and get the projector as close to the Ideal Mounting position as posible to avoid using Keystone Correction at all.
    As soon as the Keystone correction is used at all, the picture is degraded Slightly as a result of the processing.
    Great to hear you are Happy with it.........Great PJ.

Just Watched Vertical Limit............I nearly had to go and get my snow goggles and ski poles!!
    It just gets better and better...

John

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    87 hrs :)

First dust blob has appeared :(

No smoke yet :)

-- Jon

5. xander

xander
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    about 70hrs and going strong...

gothmog,
    there was a guy on avsforum.com that managed to clean a dust blob from his AE300 using compressed air.

6. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just as a matter of interest,
    I think most of the dust that ends up on the panels comes from the filter itself as you remove it for cleaning.
    As a result, I now get one of those Soft brush Thingo's that go on the end of the vacuum cleaner and push it up against the air intake as I remove the filter.
    This method insures that any disloged dust that falls off the filter, gets sucked into the vacuum cleaner rather than into the PJ next time I turn it on.............

John

7. palucey112231

palucey112231

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    harb, why do you say that? experience?

8. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well what happened was, I was about to do my 60 hr filter clean
    and apon removal of the filter I noticed as I was removing the filter element, some of the dust on the element was scraped of and fell back into the projector.........
    Now I haven't had the covers off my toy yet, but it would be a fair guess that the fan blows cool air over the panels....Not a good place to blow dusty air!!
    This may not be as noticable if the PJ is desktop mounted, as the dust probly just falls out the slot as it is removed......But in the ceiling mount position it just falls back into the PJ for the fan to move it further in....

I have a slot cut into my PJ mount, so I don't have to remove it to pull out the filter.
    I don't like Turning the PJ up the other way either now that it has been upsidedown for a while, as this may also stir up any loose dust inside.

I have a real dust problem here at the moment, as we are in the depths of one of the worst droughts on record.

Cheers
    John

9. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About 65 hours here with one dust blob. It appeared before my first filter clean but it only shows on pitch blacks so I haven't bothered to do anything about it yet.

Any regrets? I guess I regret buying from Japan but then I think I would have had to wait 3-4 months if I didn't. I'm just paranoid now that the thing will break down and I'll have to fork out another £200 to send it back! But not one regret about choosing the AE300 it's a fantastic machine.

10. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About 153 very happy hours here.

I believe we've made a great choice (especially that most of us bought it without seeing it, just from the forum recommendations!).

I don't regret buying from Japan, especially when I've heard that it will be available in UK only in April... I couldn't have waited that long. I suppose it's different for those who already have a projector and just want an upgrade.

Is it possible that the scanline artifact disappears with time? I rarely see it very faintly now...

I still have to do the filter cleaning...

Julia

11. lmcid

lmcid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About 180 hours. Still very happy. I also bought blind from Japan at the very begining. It sort of upset me to see US Price so low a couple months after I received my PJ. Still, I don't know how I would hava handled the wait :). By the way, great forum, I was pointed here by snocrash (thank you!). It is certainly refreshing to take a breather from AVS....

12. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the dust blob info guys :)

I will be sure to have the hoover handy when I pull the filter!

It's only visible in total blackness like Splinters, so I won't crack open the AE300 until it's got a few more friends :)

My only regret is playing SSX Tricky for 5hrs non-stop on it one night, my fingers will never be the same :p

-- Jon

13. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    you guys seem like happy AE300 users and some some point i may well get one , two questions for you.

1.do you get any vertical banding with this pc?
    2.How reliable and helpful were Price Japan?

After some extensive research i was toying between the SOny HS10 and the AE300 ,I have come to the conclusion that this is the better buy, just waiting to see reports on reliability as well
    (after all those AE100 disasters i heard about)

Im lucky in that i have a pretty good Projector already (TOSH MT1) that looks great via PC and and a HOYA filter, however it does have the some Vertical line issue on some scenes , so if i was to upgrade the projector i get must have NO VB!! hence the question.I may wait until the Uk release before buying, not sure about buying blind though you all seem v happy.
    Cheers

14. lmcid

lmcid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1.do you get any vertical banding with this pc?

-Very little. I probably wouldn't have notice it if I hadn't read about it before.

2.How reliable and helpful were Price Japan?

-Extremely reliable.
    -Helpful? Yes and no.
    They were very helpful in that they were extremely diligent and efficient. However, if you need technical information or advise, you will have to get it elsewhere. In a way they are similar to a discount stock broker like Ameritrade.

15. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    sorry for PC read PJ (PROJECTOR!!)

16. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    39 hrs so far and over the moon with it's performance.
    I ordered mine from PriceJapan,and it only took 3 days to arrive.
    Received a confirmation email 3hrs later stating that it was shipping in 6hrs and that the tracking number would be available in 12hrs.
    In in all, exception service from them:)

17. Splinter

Splinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to hear things are going well Julia. Also interesting you've got the same problem as me Gothmog - mine's about 4-5 inches in diameter.

Spacecat - About the reliability of PriceJapan they've got better customer service than most of the companies in the UK. Which on second thoughts isn't saying that much! But anyway you can order from them with confidence.

18. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    what about the Vertical lines in the picture ? often seen in smokey, foggy or cloudy scenes?

19. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    Cmon AE300 owners please answer the VB question as i am considering buying this PJ

20. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last Night I watched a movie but this time I took the time to constantly check the flicker adjustment during the movie............
    I found it was a good hour and a half before the PJ finally settled down and needed no more flicker adjustment.
    Now it wasn't that bad to start with, but by the end of the hour and a half, the Vertical banding was undetectable.
    Apone going to another input though, you could see the masive adjustment difference.
    Moral to the story,
    Allow a long warmup period and keep tweeking the flicker adjustment if you are really fussy about this isue, then watch the movie.

John

21. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Splinter,
    Sorry to hear about your dust blob, but I hope you'll get it sorted soon.
    Keep those hours rolling (I think we've been lucky this time) ;) :)

Spacecat,

I cannot but reinforce what Lmcid and Harb were saying. I don't think that VB is a problem with AE300 (it doesn't bother me at all, but as AE300 is my first projector I do not know how bad it is on the other ones). AE300 has a very clean, sharp and smooth picture (but maybe I'm biased :) ).

I still think it's better if you have a look at it yourself (remember that if you're really not in a hurry to buy a projector, maybe it's worth the wait for the UK version as it will have the scart input too).

Julia

22. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +610
    im gonna wait for the uk one if i do buy , though the scart is not an issue as i have an HTPC

To be honest my tweaked and filtered MT1 is excellent so i may wait until the next genaration of projectors at this level.

however i will demo one when it comes out to be sure!

23. supa

supa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have about 60 hours on mine. Still looking at the picture with a big smile on my face :)

24. Paul8

Paul8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of upgrading my marantz 4200 DVD player to a Pal
    progressive unit like the HK or the Phillips Q50.
    Can Anyone tell me if the Panasonic AE300 handles a PAL progressive signal as its not in its specs.
    I should also add that i have just received a replacement AE300 as the original pooped itself after only 87 hours.
    I don't know what the problem was and PriceJapan do not do autopsies.
    However i suspect that maybe the weather and high humidity led the transformer to fail. Since the disaster i have been monitoring the humidity in the room and was suprised to see that at times it reached 85%.
    I remember a salesman once mentioned that Projectors prefer Air conditioning to Evaporative airconditioning because of the humidity.
    All comments welcome.
    Otherwise i am very happy the picture quality of this little projector.

Cheers
    Paul

25. Harb

Harb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What were the Symtoms of the one that failed Paul?
    I also had a failure at 60hrs, but the new on is nearly at 140hrs now and still going strong.

John:smashin:

26. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry to 'crash the thread, but has anybody who imported from Price Japan actually had to pay the VAT yet?

27. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope :devil:
    (not yet...)

28. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    :) When did you order Julia? Did you have to return your PJ or am I thinking of one of the other A300 buyers?

29. Julia

Julia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've ordered it sometime in Nov.

And Yes, you're right about returning (I had 2 dead pixels and I've made used of PriceJapan zero dead pixel policy).
    The shipping cost for returning the unit and for the new replacement was about £200, but now they have a kind of insurance policy (that costs around £60?)- you'll have to read about it on their web site.

Julia:hiya:

30. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yeah, I saw that... will definitely be using it if I order with them.

If you had to do it again, would you still use PJ?