How are they doing it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by aeaston, Sep 6, 2003.

1. aeaston

aeaston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My mate got hold of a couple of DVDs the other day, obviously dodgy ones. Movies in question were the new Tomb Raider movie and Terminator 3. The movies only took up about 1.5gb of the DVD. I was just wondering how they are actually getting these movies onto DVD format. I don't believe they are rips as they as these movies aren't available to buy and they aren't using up enough space. Doesn't look like camcorder copies converted to mpeg either as the sound seems too good. Anyone got any insight on this cos it's got me curious.

Cheers
    Andrew

2. dbroomfield

dbroomfield
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually it could be a dvd rip..

When films go out to the critics for review they go out on either VHS or DVD as something called a screener.

Some of these have banners on them periodicly thoughout the film saying you shouldn't be watching them.. Some like Ghost ship are part filmed in black and white to deter people.

It still could be a camcorder jobbie though as it is possible the sound has been done seperatly..

3. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    The space issue is straightfoeward. There are numerous video conversion packages that will compress video to take up less space.
    Have a look at http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

The films themselves probably were rips downloaded from a newsgroup or peer to peer filesharing site.