1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are the Panasonic 36" screens for Geometry?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by FlyingBig, May 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As bad as there smaller screens or have they took extra strides to ensure good gemetry with the bigger screen? Only interested in feedback from customers that have had first hand experience or own one. Cheers.

2. Simcom

Simcom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a PD50 for about 3 months now. Initially Geometry out of the box was not brilliant. I played around in the Service Menu and now it is pretty good. Had a look in John Lewis and all the large screen CRT's have Geometry problems to some extend. I don't think you will ever find a perfect one unless you are really lucky.
    To be honest you stop noticing any minor imperfections after a while. For some reason a new TV suddenly turns us all into manic perfectionists.
    Hope you get a good one. :thumbsup:

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    FlyingBig,

Geometry is the main disadvantage of 36" CRT's over Plasma/LCD. :lesson:

(CRT's have other advantages but that's another topic!)

Basically, you'll never get perfection. :(

However, if you remember that you're supposed to watch programmes on a TV (and not test-cards) you should end up pretty close to it.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the production line only has a limited time to make the adjustments, so most CRT geometry can be improved with a little effort.

Happy viewing. :smashin:

4. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies, reason i asked was because i had at one point a 36" Sony and Toshiba and both had very decent geometry but had to be returned for other reasons which i won't go into. I have tested a few 28" and 32" Pana sets and the geometry was very off and i don't mean a little so ever since i have avoided Panasonic which is a shame as otherwise the picture is of a high quality but i just refuse to settle with a set that has more bends than a road map so i was hoping they had taken more care with their 36" sets as bad geometry on a big screen would kill me!