How are Philips projectors and their customer care?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zobi, Aug 5, 2004.

1. zobi

zobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered Philips Astaire because I simply couldn't resist the price, 730 euros at nomatica.com with the delivery to Italy.

I found a few user reviews and none of them were negative. This PJ has 6000 hour bulb and is a native 16:9.

I saw the Astaire Deluxe the other day and it looked fine, e.g. not much SDE. The difference between Astare and Astaire Deluxe is that the latter has slightly more lumens and contrast.

The delivery will take ca 2 weeks and I can cancel the order until it is sent. Thus it is not too late to warn me with this PJ if someone has a bad experience with it.

I called Philips Italy to ask about whether they have "zero pixel" policy but I couldn´t get any answers. Is it common that producers classify projectors with dead pixels as non-faulty items? If so, do you know how it is with Philips and whether their customer care is bad or good?

2. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the EU distance selling regulations say that you can send back things up to 7 days after you get them without having to give any reason. See here:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/consumers/cons_int/safe_shop/dist_sell/dist02_en.htm

And a more understandable version of the UK implementation of these regulations:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1E6F3C94-8BB0-4374-A65B-6281E030C3C9/0/distanceselling.pdf

Interestingly enough if the retailer does not tell you this then the return period is extended to up to 3 months! (or 7 days after they tell you)

So, if you have dead pixels then just send it back.

3. zobi

zobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I know. Nomatica will give you 15 days to return the product and you have to pay for the transport. So you could end up paying 50-80 euros if you return a product. (20 for the delivery to you and 30-50 back to them, and it is on your responsibility that the product is resellable)

Maybe it is wrong of me to buy a non-mainstream projector, it is perhaps just an unnecessary risk?

4. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It's probably going to get worse now they don't manufacture projectors.
    I'm sure it was discussed on here that they pulled out of the market back in May / June and that aprx 320 staff worldwide that supported this product have been laid off.

On a positive note, the unit is very good and many guys here buy imported units and don't have support. No-one from this side have any queries about the support level.

Suggest if you want good support you look at the Sanyo, NEX, Infocus, Sharp or Panasonic models.

Anyway, I'm sure your capable of making your own decissions, but thought you should be aware just incase you haven't checked the forums.

5. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,949
    Philips have pulled out of the consumer market. They are continuing to support business projectors and support their existing products for another 5 years or more.
    I've just bought a Philips Bogart and I'm confident that a company the size of Philips won't leave me in the lurch before I'm ready to upgrade in a few years time.
    Their is a representative from Philips called Chris Frost who posts on here regularly he may be worth a PM if you're concerned.
    It sounds to me like you've got a cracking deal on a great piece of kit and I wouldn't worry, but you pay your money and you take your choice...

6. dither

dither

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should tell you my Philips experience, I didn't before because it is not to do with dead pixels, but now as you sound more generally worried... I had a 5 year old projector and the dust filter disintegrated (while I was trying to clean it, so you could say I broke it), I phoned them up and amazingly enough they had a new one in stock (in Lisbon which is not the biggest place in the world), only 7 euros and I was sorted! I thought this was pretty impressive. Also the fans had got a bit noisy so I looked inside, wrote down what type they were and the philips spares place got me new ones within a week. Again pretty impressive!

7. zobi

zobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I decided to stick with the order and see if the PJ isn´t okay.

8. zobi

zobi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received my Astaire today and I couldn't be happier!

It exeeded my expectations for the price of 730 euros. I definately reccommend this PJ for the newbies that are on a tight budget....excellent value.

SDE is less than I supspected and I will definately not return this PJ unless it will brake.

9. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Not quite true.

Philips has service support agreements in place world wide to support projector warranties for as long as they were due to run. In the case of the Astaire & Astaire Deluxe that is two years.

We also have spares support for 7 years from the date any projector product goes end of life. Zobi will be able to get major spares items for his Astaire until 2011.

You'll also find telephone support via the Warranty Helpline remains in place as it was before the announcement to withdraw. Zobi will have the phone number as part of the product information.

Again not quite true.

Though the manufacturing lines have closed resulting in some redudancies, a great many of the staff will have transferred to alternative production lines. The total Philips workforce is approximately 220,000 people spread across 60 countries. These sort of shifts in production happen quite regularly as old products cease and new products come on stream.

On a final note the Astaire and Astaire Deluxe were offered with a zero bright pixel guarantee for UK sales. I don't remember seeing our competitors offering anything similar. Zobi, you should check if this applies to your Italian import.

Regards

Chris Frost
    (forum rules don't allow me to say which company I work for or on what product ;) )

10. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh go on, do tell :D :smashin:

11. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Kramer,

Please He Isn't aLlowed Inform People of Such information....... :nono: :lesson: :suicide: :devil:

S.

12. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    LMAO :rotfl: :D

13. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the e-mail notification but obviously without the size/font details.

Excellent stuff but does anyone know who Chris Frost actually works for?

:D :thumbsup:

14. mseven

mseven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you sell these two projectors?

15. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    mseven, I was talking about the length of warranty in this thread.

Regards

Chris