1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How are KEF Q seris with music?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by owain_thomas, Apr 12, 2004.

1. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I've currently got KEF Q series centre and rears which I use with my Gale floorstander fronts. I am thinking of upgrading the fronts and quite like the look of the Q series floorstanders. I've read that they're pretty good for films but how are they for stereo music on their own?

Also does anyone have any thoughts on which are the best bang for the buck?

Owain

2. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I used to run Kef q55.2s for steroe and they are brilliant.

If you can stick to the q package all round, you will have a timbre matching system. I have only recently achieved this, makes adifference IMHO.

As for which floorstander you will have to demo. The new kef range does look good, particularly in maple.

I have an older model, in apple cherry, looks good with the drivers exposed, the midrange driver is a shiny white with tweeter built in.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The KEF Q range will most certainly be an improvemant on the Gales, but you shouldn't think that any Q range speaker will match each other. The newer Q range sounds a fair bit different to, say Qx5 range. Also the larger Q models have always been a bit muddy in the bass department, ill suiting music. Something like a Q4 or Q1 with a sub would be more beneficial.

Russell

4. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Agree with russraff... there is already a good amount of bass from the 165mm Uni Q driver they don't really need extra bass drivers. Q1's are very musical. Just add sub for movies.

Cheers

Croc