How accurate are FPS counters

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by razy60, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    The reason i ask the above is that i have a Samsung ks8000 TV which runs at 4K 60hz but all the FPS counters i use Fraps, Afterburner and occasionally Steam not all at the same time mind regularly show frames in excess of 60, for instance in BF1 i get from 65 to 143 depending on the graphics on display when i would expect to see only 60 displayed.
    So just how accurate are they and why am i seeing numbers above my display output?:eek:

Cheers

2. Eddy555

Eddy555
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,698
    Because you are not Using V sync the GPU will just render frames when it can, regardless of the TV/monitor setting. So this won't always be the same, and if the game is less demanding will be above it. This can mean you get screen tearing when if the screen updates in between GPU frames, so you see part of one frame and part of another art the same time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Or to put it another way, without vsync enabled your GPU is rendering at over 60fps, but your display is effectively only sampling the GPU display buffer at a fixed 60Hz.

If you want them to sync up properly without imposing vsync, you'd need a gsync or freesync monitor.

4. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,363
    Out of interest, what hardware are you using that gets you sustained > 60fps on a 4K display during gaming?

5. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    I7 6700k with a minor oc, Zotac amp gtx980ti with a Arctic hydro iii 120 cooler ( my own build), 16GB ram.
    I know what your going to say regarding 4k and my GPU but in the games i play by using JackFraggs settings in BF1 and the fact that Doom, Titanfall 2 and BF1 all are relatively well scaled in the actual game engines i get really good visuals on my 49 Samsung TV, i don't find that i have to use any of the high or ultra settings to get a difference in what i see and how smooth it plays, the only real change i see is when I go from 4k to 1080 and it changes the screen real estate.

Thanks for the info to Armitageshanks and eddy555.

6. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,939
    Wait, you're getting up to 143 FPS in 4K on a 980ti in the above games. IS every setting on as low as possible. You sure you're playing 4K?

7. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    That's what is displaying however i take that with a pinch of salt as the frame rate jumps around a fair bit, 143 is in transitional screens where not a lot is going on. The game on my setup probably averages 65-75 FPS (the screen is a 3840x2160 60hz TV, Geforce settings are the same) on screen, I'm using the settings from this video from Jack:
    Battlefield 1 Ultimate Tryhard Guide

I've used similar settings in the above games to no great detrimental effect it seems the TV it's self can reproduce a nice clean image without having to resort to ultra or high settings.

I've not noticed any tearing, just occasional stutters but these happen on PS4 and Xbox so could be more network related.
    I was expecting to see 60FPS displayed not higher numbers but if as you say that is a result of not having a gsync or freesync display then that pretty much explains why:thumbsup:.

8. richardb70

richardb70
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,363
    Just seen the video so I'm assuming you turned pretty much all the graphics options to Low or Off. Makes sense then.

9. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Yep, still looks good though.[emoji16]

10. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Would look better at lower resolution and higher settings. Seems pointless running 4k with low settings could max out bf1 at 1080p easy on a 980ti mayb even 1440p.
    I turned up bf1 to max on my 970 and got over 70fps at 1080p. Looked stunning.
    More to games than just resolution, could run manhunt at 4k but doesn't make it new and shiney.

11. mark6226

mark6226

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Ditch the fps counter and learn to trust your eyes.
    Fps counters become a manacle. Just look at all the threads of people moaning about fps rates. The human eye can't distinguish between 60fps and 45 fps etc.
    If your games run smoothly with a visibly steady frame rate then that should be good enough.
    Keep your PC up to date. Run things like cc cleaner and wise care every day and your PC should run absolutely fine
    If you ask people to tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps hardly anyone will be able to differentiate. So it's down to guess work and bravado.
    There's plenty of that to go around.
    Just sit back and enjoy the game.

12. aslird

aslird
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,254
    I can definitely tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, maybe not so much between a steady 50 and steady 60 tho for example.
    As to the original question, I use both the steam counter and afterburner (running on the lcd display on my G15) and they both show the same (within 1 or 2 frames) rate, so I can say that they are both pretty accurate (or both very wrong :) )

13. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,939
    Agreed. A lot of people can.

14. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Sorry can't agree in principle, whilst maxing out at 1080 may sound fine, in reality the visual difference between that and my setup at 4k is i get excellent image quality and a wider view, there is no degredation of game play I've tested both.
    I was more interested in the accuracy of the counter as my display is a 60 FPS and the counter was showing higher numbers, plus i only recently tried the settings from jackfrags video. At the end of the day i enjoy my setup, BUT and it's a big expensive but, can i should i get a 1080ti. Only time will tell [emoji48]

15. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Cool fair enuf but you should be able to turn some things up happily if is up to 140fps. May not scale xwell anyway so stsying at 4k may be better.
    Still will have lots of the details missing if everything is on low and cannot say that would be better than high settings lower res but each to our own.
    Just ensure AA is off and should be able to up settings a fair bit staying over 60fps since its way above 100 now. And yeah counters are accurate.
    Changing the hardware polling period to 5000/10000 in monitoring setting tab in afterburner gives a good 25mins to half hour to an hour log on the graph. Good for looking back at fps/temps etc if don't want silly counters on screen all the time.[emoji1]

16. raymondo77

raymondo77
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,644
    Hell yes. I've gone from a 980ti to a 1080ti, the difference is huge. I'm now playing at 4k (almost)max, instead of 1440p (almost) max. I'm also playing on a TV and have vsync on, and the fps counter is at a near solid 60 so far.

It's also quieter and cooler than the old card too.

17. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Which card ?, My case is not the widest so card dimensions are a factor i may also look at using my ghetto build cooler to keep the noise down as i am at the moment, that said in game i do crank up the fan's temps rarely go over 55[emoji5].

18. raymondo77

raymondo77
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,644

I went from an EVGA 980ti SC to a Founders Edition 1080ti. My case (Evolv ITX) is a good 12ft away so noise isn't a huge concern anyway, but with the 980ti I had to ramp all of the case fans up to the max to prevent system lockups. With the 1080ti that's no longer the case and the only fan I can hear is from the GPU itself when it sounds up to >=70%.

19. razy60

razy60

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Nice case i was looking at that one i have a Bitfenix Pandora currently but may change it if i go for the 1080ti as my case is a bit full

Attached Files:

20. mark6226

mark6226

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Incidentally, the human eye can't perceive anything faster than around 100fps. That's about our limit. I've read about designers are aiming for 240fps. It's a waste of time as we can't see it. Just as we can't hear anything above 20khz. CD is rated at 44khz because they used the Nyquist theorem when designing the system.
    We have hires audio than no-one can hear but are buying at inflated prices and we will have monitors at silly prices and with frame rates that are well beyond the human limits of perception.
    However it does seem that humans have the infinite capacity to be conned.
    When we have bought this we have to con ourselves that we can hear and see things that are way beyond our ability.