How about my design...?

KDDP

Novice Member
I'm a newbie to this forum, not an audioholic, but someone who's addicted to sound... :)

Here's a simple sketch of my own subwoofer enclosure design, a mere combination of the bandpass and the transmission line... I planned the design theoretically to work-out with any driver size... ;)

Here, I center my sub into a 10" x 10" board (that's driver size + 2") and position in the middle of the enclosure, seperating two 10" x 10" x 10" rooms... Then, the port comes, a 1" high (fixed, no matter what the driver size is) and 10" wide (the same width the room takes, so for the port, it's not the height, but the width increases/decreases as the driver size gets larger/smaller)... :smashin:

At the runtime, primarily, air comes out of the front (the cone) and the back (the magnet) of the driver moves freely inside the rooms (this is what I call "free motion"), secondarily, air gets pressure as going through the port, considering the shape of the port, as you see, the back air takes an S shaped turn and the front air takes a U shaped turn (this is what I call "compression"'), and finally comes out of the port hole... :thumbsup:

That's it... Looks a bit awkward...? :confused:

Anyway, I'd be thankful to you in a plenty, if you please let me know whether my design is right or wrong... Thanks... :)

Attachments

KDDP

Novice Member
I recommend learning to using some modelling software. Your design looks a bit like an 8th order bandpass, hornresp examples in Anyone ever attempted an 8th order bandpass? - diyAudio
Thanks for the nice reply...

Ah, drew it with MS Paint (feeling silly)...

Yeah, looks a bit like bandpass + transmission line...

So, did I hit the spot with my design...?

BTW, how about the port height of 1" fixed (instead, the port width varies)...?

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
You have to model for the specific driver you intend to use and then, for a design like this, hope the sim is near to reality and that you can build it correctly.

MemX

You need to download WinISD and use the Thiele Small (T/S) parameters to model how they will work in a box.

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
WinISD cannot model a design like this.

Just to be clear, there is really next to no chance this is going to just work. It is more likely to be terrible. I strongly recommend you learn how to model a simpler device and then build that instead.

KDDP

Novice Member
WinISD cannot model a design like this.

Just to be clear, there is really next to no chance this is going to just work. It is more likely to be terrible. I strongly recommend you learn how to model a simpler device and then build that instead.
Oops...! Do you think my design would be a failure...? So, could you explain me why...?

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
Because you haven't modelled it so you have no idea if it will work (or if there is a simpler design that achieves a similar end product)

KDDP

Novice Member
Because you haven't modelled it so you have no idea if it will work (or if there is a simpler design that achieves a similar end product)
Okay, as you said before, if not WinISD, then what's the software to model my design...?

KDDP

Novice Member
See earlier post with link to similar models in hornresp
I'm sorry, I didn't notice that... I mean, I've read the whole thread in the link before, but forgot the link after...

Anyway, thanks for the great help... I'll try it...

Last edited:

Member 786053

Standard Member
I should have stated assuming you are willing to change your design. If you want to keep the design, you may need to invest in some testing equipment like a Umik-1 and a lot of MDF. There is not a lot of programs that are going to help with this type of design. I'm also not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish by building it the way you are. Is there a reason you want both sides ported? Typically, in a band pass, one side is sealed to create pressure the box. Am I missing something? I might be, I typically stay to more standard designs myself.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom