1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How 720P vs 480P affects DVD quality on LCD.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by benmiles, Mar 22, 2005.

1. benmiles

benmiles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys. I currently have a Denon 2800 (working perfectly - for once) DVD player. On my CRT the quality was stunning. On my new LCD I have it connected via component (quality cables) and progressive scan is on. There is a lot of noticable artifacting and some soft edges that give a similar appearance to dot crawl. Does anyone know how an upscaled DVD to 720P would look for comparison, from say one of the new Denons with HDMI on this screen? I understand that it would be closer to native resolution, but as I understand it the artifacts and soft edges would still be there. Am I right, or should I spend a small fortune on a new player :).

PS - it isnt the quality of the 2800 that is the problem. I used a pioneer at 480P and the quality was even worse!

2. BUFFY FAN

BUFFY FAN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi benmiles I have the denon 3910 hooked up to the panasonic AE700 projector which is LCD, via HDMI 10m cable and I think the picture looks better when the dvd player is upscaling to 720p rather than the normal 480p. Infact it looks amazing. Just looks that bit sharper.

3. benmiles

benmiles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply!