Quantcast

How’s Vauxhall doing?

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
Yesterday General Motors announced their make of car over here in Australia - Holden - will cease to exist altogether by the end of the year. There was mention of the fact they were concentrating on LHD vehicle manufacturing - it was reported they were “exiting RHD markets”. Which seemed a different step altogether to me.

Although clearly different markets, is Vauxhall (their other RHD division) holding their own in the UK? Would you wail and gnash your teeth like many over here are doing if those cars ceased to be made (edit somewhere in the world)
and sold in the UK tomorrow?

Last edited:

nvingo

Made in the UK?
That's only vans, Nissan and Renault sharing design and production with..
Vauxhall cars are simply rebadged European Opel or Far-Eastern Chevrolet (formerly Daewoo)

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
Made in the UK?
That's only vans, Nissan and Renault sharing design and production with..
Vauxhall cars are simply rebadged European Opel or Far-Eastern Chevrolet (formerly Daewoo)
Oops - obviously I don’t think they make them in the UK any more. I’ve edited the post.

The point is the UK (and Australian) cars are not just rebadged. They are RHD and the vast majority of GM cars are LHD.

I don’t think Opel as the LHD European arm of GM is under pressure. I was merely wondering how UK drivers would feel if Vauxhall disappeared as a make - vans, cars, all vehicles - by the end of the year.

nvingo

Well we 'lost' Rover - formerly British Leyland - made up of Austin, Morris, Wolsley, Riley and Triumph, and MG, what about a decade ago - I don't think the majority of drivers or the population cared much then, nor when Chrysler/Talbot/Peugeot picked the dregs of Rootes Group (Hillman) in the 1970s.
They were both major forces in UK motor manufactures and casualties of Japanese imports.

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
Aha - I have now caught up with the fact that GM already pulled out of the UK. Vauxhall is part of PSA now, which also owns OPel which they took from GM, and happens to sell RHD Opels but only for the UK.

GM therefore already has pulled out of the UK and they were left with RHD markets in New Zealand Australia and Thailand. I think the latest move is to pull out of all RHD markets.

I don’t know - you leave a country for only 14 years and look what happens :)

Still, point taken about the different car brands disappearing over there already with not much fuss. Here the two “local” manufacturers until only 3 or so years ago were Ford and Holden. Both shut the factories here but both at least continued to sell imported cars until yesterday. A bit more of a whimper than when British Leyland disappeared - to be fair Holden’s are actually a decent car though :)

LM1405

Suspended
Yesterday General Motors announced their make of car over here in Australia - Holden - will cease to exist altogether by the end of the year. There was mention of the fact they were concentrating on LHD vehicle manufacturing - it was reported they were “exiting RHD markets”. Which seemed a different step altogether to me.

Although clearly different markets, is Vauxhall (their other RHD division) holding their own in the UK? Would you wail and gnash your teeth like many over here are doing if those cars ceased to be made (edit somewhere in the world)
and sold in the UK tomorrow?
@outoftheknow pity my brothers Commodore SS was a pretty good car very fast for a 4 door saloon. I preferred the V8 Ford Falcon I drove but my brother preferred the Commodore.

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
@outoftheknow pity my brothers Commodore SS was a pretty good car very fast for a 4 door saloon. I preferred the V8 Ford Falcon I drove but my brother preferred the Commodore.
Hence the classic rivalry here before Australian car manufacturing killed itself off. Ford (the blue oval) Versus Holden (the lion). Even as their parent US companies shut down factories here they pandered to the clear minority at that point who determined only a V8 was the engine for an Aussie car and a V6 was permissible in a runaround. Ford introduced the smaller European models a while ago so they are still around. Holden recently released the all new Commodore and the smallest engine was a V6 3.6litre. That or a V8 around the 6 litre mark. Both can cut cylinders but that hardly addressed the issue....... after a while they dropped the V8 and put a 2.0L in the lower end of the range but too late - they just couldn’t get into the modern world quickly enough.

depot

GM pulled out of Europe not just the UK, PSA group now own Vauxhall’s and opal, I believe they that left Russia in 2015 and India in 2017,

I also think that own part of Kia and Hyundai, but could be wrong.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I don’t think Opel as the LHD European arm of GM is under pressure. I was merely wondering how UK drivers would feel if Vauxhall disappeared as a make - vans, cars, all vehicles - by the end of the year.
Vauxhall has been struggling to attract new customers for some time now. They had success in the early 2000s with the Zafira, Meriva, Agila etc. but over the last decade or so the perception has been that you buy a Vauxhall if you want something cheap, reasonably competent and dull. They're a European alternative to Hyundai and Kia.

Car companies based in Britain are on a rising tide right now with the likes of Jaguar Land Rover, McLaren and Aston Martin releasing unprecedented numbers of models, so it's not the same situation as Holden where it's the end of a tradition.

If you asked people in the UK which ex-GM car company they'd prefer to see I suspect there'd be at least as much support for resurrecting Saab as for keeping Vauxhall.

nheather

Distinguished Member
I'd never really thought that much about the RHD challenge until I got my current car 2.5 years ago. It is a BMW with a fully featured centre console with all sorts of controls including a touch pad to write out inputs with you finger (like drawing out Satnav addresses).

Like most, being right handed, it is awkward, it isn't a huge deal, most stuff is workable, but it made me realise how much more functional this would be in a LHD car.

Cheers,

Nigel

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Opel sold in Ireland too. And PSA don’t own any of Kia/Hyundai.

Vauxhall will be around for a long time to come. The new Corsa is going to be a big seller and has an all electric version too.