1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hovering on the edge - Any compromises with Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Ally, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Ally

Ally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Forum

I am teetering on the edge of plngining into the world of plasma and I probably need that final push. Its a lot of money therefore I need to be sure that I am going to be blown away for some considerable time. I guess my main concern is that whilst DVD is pretty much certain to be a fantastic experience I'm not so convinced about the 90% use the thing will have via NTL Digital cable. I dont want my Premiership footbal to become a hardship to watch. I've noticed that many of the threads are about tweaking and slight disatisfaction with the PQ

If the gang could give me their experience of moving from moderst CRT to plasma and how it changed their life then Panasonic or LG just might get another sale this week. So guys -

Any regrets?

Ally

2. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only had my screen for a few weeks and don't use NTL, however when you consider that even on a CRT, the bigger the picture the more obvious the weaknesses of the signal.

Compared to my old 36" Philips CRT, the DVD picture is generally better (probably becuase it's connected via comps rather than scart), the Sky/TiVo picure is a little worse (the digital artifacts and colour scaling are easier to see), and terrestrial is about the same.

On the upside, I've regained the corner of my lounge, and it's no longer sinking ;) (the CRT weighed 85kg!).

I do seem to be tweaking the brightness &/or contrast a lot more than I did on my CRT, but then that was pretty good at adjusting the setting automatically, whereas I don't like the Panny auto settings. Weighing it all up, taking into account the 'wow-factor', the size of the screen and the compactness of the unit, the slight degradation in the PQ on some inputs is a good compromise, (and isn't really the fault of the plasma).

The footy I've watched (via Sky via TiVo) has always looked fine, the Panny copes better with fast left/right movements than my previous 100Hz CRT did.

3. goliath23

goliath23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went from a Sony 32" CRT (KV-32FX65) to a Pansonic 42" Plasma (TH-42PWD3E) some weeks ago.

Although the Plasma is an "old" 3rd generation model and the CRT had a very good picture, I would say the picture on the Plasma is a lot better that on the CRT when watching DVDs or gaming via the RGB input.

The picture while watching TV (terrestrial, I don't have digital) is about the same quality, but of course if there was a bad signal on the 32" CRT it will look worse on the 42" Plasma, just because of its bigger size.

I am very happy with my new setup and have already forgotten about the money I've spent;)

4. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont watch any TV on mine so I can't comment there but I have absolutely no regrets about moving from CRT to Plasma - it's absolutely fantastic and brings a smile to my face every time I use it!

The only disadvantage I can think of is that they kick out a fair bit of heat, so in the summer it can get quite hot in the room after watching a film.

I have the Toshiba (rebadged Panasonic) 42" 4 series.

5. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ally
    As you might see from another post I have just been in your position and gone for a Panasonic TH-42PW5B. I'm blown away. I have a Sky+ box so can't advise you on NTL, however i did get one of these JS RGB>VGA convertors which are much praised on this forum. It does look superb, watched the birmingham vs. liverpool game yesterday, no artifacts pristine quality, robbie savage shouldn't be shown on a 42" plasma though! Noticed stuff like hair strands and patterns within the players kits. Best money on kit I've spent.
    Have a think about speakers, i didn't get any and have it linked through an amp. Okay for me as i know what i'm doing, but a chew for my girlfriend who hasn't a clue! May get some soon.
    Hope this helps

6. pwhite8314

pwhite8314
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also opted out of the speakers - £300 is yet another rip-off, and they're not even that good. I got a remote that handles macros (to turn on the screen, amp and TiVo at the same time), so even the wife doesn't mind (too much ;) )

7. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Ally

I bought one to replace my crt and can say that what the plasma lacks in picture quality is more than made up by the sheer wow factor of the size.

I have the Pioneer 433HDE with sky connected via RGB scart and after some tweaking with the picture settings the picture is outstanding.

8. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ally

don`t hesitate for a second longer.I replaced 28" flat widescreen with 50" plasma and I would never go back.I still have the crt and when I power it up it is unbearable to watch compared to plasma picture,and that includes ntl.I was initially connecting ntl via svhs video then out on svideo into plasma.Pq was ok but there were some artefacts especially on the footie. Connected ntl yesterday through rgb to vga and wow: the pq is now amazing.I did think that given the drawbacks of the broadcast quality that plasma only served to make it worse but I can categorically state that the pq on my plasma way exceeds that on the regular tv,especially for football through ntl Absolutely blown away by the footie last night and I am so grateful that fergie didn`t play Luke Chadwick!
    Go for it...:)

9. Ally

Ally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fudge! I did it - ordered a Panny 42" - fingers crossed everything turns out ok. Any ideas where I should pick up the unicol bracket from?

Ally:) ;) :) :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

10. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Ally CONGRATULATIONS... you will not regret it!!
    Among all other things said here, you should also note the following changing from CRT to plasma:

* Perfect picture geometry - No distortion. For me this was really important.

* Perfect focus across the entire screen. Another key one!

..finally

* The plasma panel is not affected by magnetic fields

I converted it also from a 32" Sony CRT which is still in another room... but my favourite sport football looks so much better on plasma.

YOU HAVE DONE WELL !!

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Yes yes yes. I'm surprised no-one said all this before you bought. These factors would be important to me, too. All technologies have some shortcomings. CRTs have all those above, plus the bouncing that occurs with changes in brightness (due to poor voltage regulation on the tube). Plasmas aren't free of artefacts, either, but, to me, these are more tolerable than the above. And, of course, there is the obvious size/weight issue. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

12. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    New guy.
    I upgraded to a Panasonic 42" plasma about two weeks ago. After figuring out how to get the RGB signal to synchronise(two hours as I rarely read instructions)I am now amazed every time I view a movie on DVD. Perfect picture. Unfortunatly some channels on Sky look way to over saturated, especialy the documentary channels.

13. Ally

Ally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Forum

Well its here. Unicol bracket arrived today and with the help of my brother in law we mounted the beast on the wall. It didnt take too long and wasnt as complicated as I had feared. Thanks to Merrit for his web link advice on mounting - I've ended up doing more or less the same as he did.

Anyway it all connected up quickly and first impressions were on DVD input via component. WOW is all I can say. I watched the opening bit of Gladiator and can honestly say I was blown away. I saw things I never noticed before on my old tv. Colours are so vivid. On what I thought was a pretty gloomy and dark scene the details and colours are so vibrant.:cool: It is absolutely fantastic.

I spun a few more scenes from various DVDs including AOTC and Ronin and its incredibly impressive.

Moving on to TV or NTL Digital. I have to say that at first I was a bit underwhelmed. I really noticed the difference between channels. ITV news, BBC channels were pretty good but ITV1 wasnts that hot when the Champions League was on. In fact I'd say that compared with DVD it was a bit of a let down however I flicked throught the channels for a while and amused myself and then a funny thing happened - I think. I swapped the PC VGA setting to Cinema mode and went out the room for a bit to feed the baby. Cam back about 40 mins later and I swear the picture on every channel had improved drastically - the WOW factor had arrived.

I dont know if these these things need time to run in or warm up but I swear that it reallly improved as the night went on. Incidentally I'm using the JS convertor. Anyway I'm like the proverbial dog with two ***** now. Even the wife is quite awestruck.

Oh - it does buzz a bit - not a lot but definitely a sort of high pitch tizz type noise. I notice it but I did have the sound quite low.

Thanks to the forum for the advice on everything and special Thanks to The Media Factory who promptly dealt with my order for cables, bracket and JS convertor 5 stars for service Joe:clap: :clap: :clap:

Anyway if anyone else is hovering - Just do it!!!!:smashin:

14. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ally,

Well done mate, I'm soon to follow in your steps.
    Just curious, where did you buy your Panny from and how much ?

Jay

15. Ally

Ally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it from Techtronics and had no problems. They get bad press on here but I've bought from them twice and found them to be excellent. They responded quickly to my enquiries and sorted it all out well.

Paid £3099 free delivery but also Buy Now Pay in 9 months 0% interest which suits me at this moment. I'll pay it off then. Get you other bits you will need form Joe Fernand at www.tmfsolutions.co.uk:cool:

16. wattsj

wattsj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a good price, thanx for the info.
    You can now change your sig ! :D