• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Housing Benefit Question

VPDad

Standard Member
Hi,

I`m currently living with my wife and child in my parents house and, of course, would like to move out. Given that I will start paid training soon I would need housing benefit.

Does anyone know if its possible to claim housing benefit before you move into a new place? It would be difficult getting a place first and then trying to claim.

Duncan G

No. You have to be liable to pay rent in order for the Housing Benefit Office to accept your claim. That requires a tenancy of some sort.

Check your local Council Website as it will have info on the local housing allowance which is the max they will pay for a two bedroom house.

rockmonkey1973

Hi,

I`m currently living with my wife and child in my parents house and, of course, would like to move out. Given that I will start paid training soon I would need housing benefit.

Does anyone know if its possible to claim housing benefit before you move into a new place? It would be difficult getting a place first and then trying to claim.

Ok i take it you mean you dont have the deposit or the months rent in advance most landlords request from tenants. If i am right then you will need to go to your local council and request to be assessed by the housing options department. Some local authorities provide the money one needs to rent privately as an alternative to social housing. If you are lucky... and you may very well be especially if say you are coming under increasing pressure from your parents to leave and potential homelessness is imminent... then if the council operate this service you will most likely get what you need. No guarantees though!

There is something called a discretionary housing payment but you wont qualify because you need to be already claiming hb to be eligible. Also crisis loans could be used for rent in advance (but not deposits) however the social fund has been outsourced to local councils so you will still end up heading that way anyway. Your local council may also be one of those who have decided not to hand out cash except small amounts for emergencies. As such in all honesty i personally think the above suggestion is your best bet.

Find out your local housing allowance rate from the first link (you will qualify for a two bedroom flat) and then stick in all your details at the link further below and find out what help will be available (very accurate benefit calculator). If the council operate a scheme like this and you do qualify then you can simply start looking for any privately rented flat you want (assuming it is within your budget). Once you have found one you move in with the coinage the council have (hopefully) provided and bobs your uncle.

End of the day this is all you need because once you move in you will make a claim for hb and most housing benefit departments should sort out new claims within 14 days. Ensure you send all the proof they need and it should all work out golden. The deposit remains the councils cash though so will have to be paid back if and when you move (although you may be able to use it again if needed but dont quote me on this bit).

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx

Check your benefit entitlement - Turn2us

VPDad

Standard Member
Wow, that`s a massive help, thanks. I actually have enough for the deposit and months advance rent but not necessarily every months rent. If I was earning a little over a thousand a month and the rent was 8 or 900 and I`m not in receipt of housing benefit, I`d assume most landlords would refuse us. I figured I`d have more chance if I was already in receipt of HB.

I`m a little new to all of this (was out of the country for sometime). Does Local Housing Allowance mean housing benefit?

Thanks again.

liamt

Distinguished Member
Wow, that`s a massive help, thanks. I actually have enough for the deposit and months advance rent but not necessarily every months rent. If I was earning a little over a thousand a month and the rent was 8 or 900 and I`m not in receipt of housing benefit, I`d assume most landlords would refuse us. I figured I`d have more chance if I was already in receipt of HB.

I`m a little new to all of this (was out of the country for sometime). Does Local Housing Allowance mean housing benefit?

Thanks again.

where do you live that £900 is a low rent? i take it you are in london?

VPDad

Standard Member
where do you live that £900 is a low rent? i take it you are in london?

Yep, I`m in London! The job I`ve been offered is here as are my family so not much choice...At the minute. Whats the flat rent like in your area?

liamt

Distinguished Member
Yep, I`m in London! The job I`ve been offered is here as are my family so not much choice...At the minute. Whats the flat rent like in your area?

about £500 upwards for a 2 bed house. my mortgage is only £480 for a 4 bed detached in a village... but the wages are much lower than london where i would easily double my income maybe more.

rockmonkey1973

Thanks again.
Teach me to assume anything!

Local Housing Allowance is the maximum amount the local council will pay for whatever property you rent regardless of the cost the flat is being let for (differing amounts for one, two, there and four bedroom and then one for single people under 35 less a few other bits and bobs). All the info below.

https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/what-youll-get

Basically if you input your postcode and your bedroom allowance (yours is two bedroom) you will find the top wack the council will pay if you were entitled to full housing benefit (if for instance you were out of work or in an a low paid job). Once you know the lha rate you can then head to turn2us and type in you and your families details and it will tell you exactly what benefit you will get. It is one of the best calculators because it gives you accurate figures and will also provide you with details of any other benefit that may be available as well as how much you could potentially get if you make a claim (tax credits etc etc).

Anyway the calculator will help you know in advance exactly what your monthly income will be and you can then take it from there. A good starting point if you ask me because you know before you move in if you can afford it or not! Once you have signed the tenancy you can apply for HB and Council Tax Benefit but it will only be paid from the date you move in (obviously). The council should sort it out within 4 weeks assuming you give them all they ask for (Lambeth says they will make a decision on new applications within 23 days overall and within 5 days from the date all information requested is handed in!). This should give you enough time before the next months rent is due.

Hope that makes sense.

VPDad

Standard Member
That makes perfect sense! Thank you!

Does anyone have the experience of finding and renting a place privately based largely on what housing benefit they only might be getting in the future?

PocketBunny

Many rental ads will say whether they will accept people who will be paying using benefits. Usually by having 'no DSS' in the ad. I would assume that if it doesn't specify, they would accept it.

WHO IS RIGHT HERE?

If the rent deposit team at the council pay a landlord £800 on behalf of a tenant to a landlord but the tenant also pays the £800 to the same landlord and the council now want their money back, who should pay?

The council insist that it is the tenant who must repay them the rent deposit because they paid the landlord the money on his behalf.

You can see his point of view. He has sent them proof of the money that he paid to the landlord so he is saying the landlord has been paid twice, he says that the council must ask the landlord for the money back.

This is a family matter that I thought I'd throw out to the masses to see if I'm missing something because I just don't get it either, it seems perfectly simple maths to me that A has been paid by B and C, how is C liable for the money?

Urien Rheged

Distinguished Member
The Council loaned the money to the tenant, so the tenant is liable to pay it back to the Council. The fact the tenant also paid the landlord from their own money is between the landlord and the tenant. The landlord should refund the tenant the (not needed) £800, unless the landlord used it as a rent payment instead.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom