• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Answered House wired with Cat6 - Sky TV question

AVRookie99

Standard Member
Firstly, I am not sure if this is the correct forum, if not, apologies.

I have recently moved into a apartment that has been wired with Cat6. There is a store cupboard where the Sky boxes are supposed to go, from here Cat6 cabling has gone to the lounge (on the wall) and the bedroom. I was looking for advice as to what bits of kit I need to buy that will send the picture & IR from the cupboard over the Cat6 to the Cat6 point on the wall in the lounge.

I would be so grateful for any help, much appreciated.

flyingalbatross

Established Member
That's an awkward way of doing things. Sure the Cat6 is for the Sky box? Can't run aerial cable from the cupboard to underneath the TV? You can run a Sky Q Mini box with Cat6 from a main box?

Anyway, what you need is an HDMI over ethernet device like this: Maplin 30m HDMI Over Cat5/6 Range Extender | Maplin

That's a basic cheap one but AFAIK you can get more expensive ones with IR send functions as well.

Alternatively if you wanted to go a bit DIY-crazy you could use two filaments of the Cat6 to use it as an 'aerial extender' to extend the aerial connection to the Cat6 port in the lounge.

This thread also covers various options: SKY HD and HDMI distributed over cat6

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Are you planning for SKY+ HD or SKY Q?

CAT6 is ideal for either system.

Is it just the two Zones you are planning for?

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'4K' can mean many things!

HDBT - carries uncompressed 1080p and 2160p @ 60Hz, 8-bit.

HDBT - there are new devices arriving which can carry 2160p @ 60Hz 10-bit using 'visually lossless' compression!

HD over LAN - utilises compression but is gathering support on multi-zone systems as it can be more cost effective than HDBT and offers additional Features HDBT lacks.

Fibre Optic and Hybrid Fibre - are also options (if you can run new cables).

What you use on any particular installation may vary depending on the system requirement and budget.

We supply/install HDBT, HD over LAN, Fibre Optic and Hybrid Fibre.

Joe

marky doc

Novice Member
'4K' can mean many things!

HDBT - carries uncompressed 1080p and 2160p @ 60Hz, 8-bit.

HDBT - there are new devices arriving which can carry 2160p @ 60Hz 10-bit using 'visually lossless' compression!

HD over LAN - utilises compression but is gathering support on multi-zone systems as it can be more cost effective than HDBT and offers additional Features HDBT lacks.

Fibre Optic and Hybrid Fibre - are also options (if you can run new cables).

What you use on any particular installation may vary depending on the system requirement and budget.

We supply/install HDBT, HD over LAN, Fibre Optic and Hybrid Fibre.

Joe
this is a house with sky q box in comms room with only one tv connected using a HDMI over cat5 transmitter /receiver which works ok with the HD channels but wont allow the 4k sky channels to be displayed.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SKY Q - requires an Extender which is HDCP 2.2 compliant and carries UHD 2160p50 at a minimum of 8-bit, that rules out many low cost Extender units.

Our Octava HD100STP works well with SKY Q.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom