1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House total rewire (A/V, lighting, home-network...)

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by AverageJoe, Mar 19, 2005.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to get the whole house rewired and was planning to put hardwired LAN via cat5e along with TV aerial and BT Phone/ADSL broadband outlet into every room. TV aerial was to be good double-insulated coax with 8 room distribution. Have a 2805 a/v amp with zone 2/RS-232 capability. Started to think about whether to add dimmers and I/R control for lighting, a/v distribution and X10 etc.

Can I get away with just one cat5e cable to each room and do away with the TV aerial point and BT phone/ADSL broadband point?

Is it worth thinking about home distribution system (have seen threads saying Crestron/AMX are too pricey for normal home use)?

What are views on X10 or is theri better?

Any thoughts much appreciated...

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    AverageJoe.

I would whole heartedly agree with the Crestron/AMX comments but their are lots of other, better value systems that can be installed throughout the house.

Most signals can be run over CAT5e and even CAT7 cables but it really depends on your budget and actual requirements.

Have a look at these to give you some ideas.

www.Rakocontrols.com
    www.squared.co.uk
    and
    www.avnex.com

If you have the time, I would come up to the Smart Home Show at the Birmingham NEC. (14th - 17th April)

There will be plenty of exhibitors and systems there that you could either install yourself or have installed for you.

There are also a number of seminars each day that could be of use.

www.smarthomeshow.co.uk/exhib for free tickets!