House security system

wiz

Distinguished Member
Hi guys
Moving house soon and thought I might put a alarm system in. Anyone got any recommends, price, manufactuer to look for, etc

many thanks
Ossie

:hiya:

wiz

Distinguished Member
A mate say wire free has problems, passing taxis:D

Slipperystevens

Novice Member
I ca't be arsed with wires. I'll have to book loads of taxis from address in my road, for people that don't need them. They'll soon stop coming round here... :devil:

klr10

Novice Member
I would rather have wires than have to keep buying and changing loads of flippin' batteries....:eek:

scrapbook

British Gas can fit a very reliable (so far :rolleyes: ) wire free system.

For a set amount you get any combination of up to 4 contacts/PIR...additional items are at extra cost.

They have two wire free systems, one that is bells only or one that is bells only but rings up to four different telephone numbers to warn you the alarm has been activated.

It is all very effective.

There is a monthly charge of £10, but that includes one free call out during the first year and an annual maintenance check up that includes them swapping the batteries on the PIR/Contacts.

skull-eater

Novice Member
try this web site very usfull for me when i did minehttp://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/index.php

Ayub

Try the G3 Optima series. Its very good and takes no time a alll to set up. You can programme your smoke alarms into in and pir door chime pressure mate. It has it all. The boxes retail around £30/40 then you have your pir and door sensors. I have just fitted one and took me about 4 hours including 4 pir's 3 door sensors. The bell box was a problem I AM SCARED OF HEIGHTS :( got me mate to go up. :mad:) oh yeah it also has battery back .

Joe90sDad

Banned
I install the Texecom alarm systems but Optima are also well respected.
You can buy a decent hard wired system from about £140 upwards.

shodan

Distinguished Member
Get a dog! I got Jake my staffy. He is twice the size of any other staff I've seen and weighs 4 stone with a 23inch neck and his fangs are an inch long! Not to mention his bark... Very deep and disturbing sound!

If only people knew that he is as soft as s-hight!

But if billy burglar gets past him, there's also Mrs S. And her, not even I would cross!!!

Setenza

Novice Member
Get the Pensioner 2006 Curtain Twitcher deluxe. They log all minor and major details, not only in your home but outside. They will call the authorities at the drop of the hat, particularly if someone "looking a bit foreign" is seen "stepping on the cracks in the pavement". They also smell of cats urine completely free of charge.

mason

Xusia Of Delos said:
Get the Pensioner 2006 Curtain Twitcher deluxe. They log all minor and major details, not only in your home but outside. They will call the authorities at the drop of the hat, particularly if someone "looking a bit foreign" is seen "stepping on the cracks in the pavement". They also smell of cats urine completely free of charge.

:laugh: :laugh:

tom_piano_man

Novice Member
All the burgalers know how to disable all the pre-built systems you can buy. It involves taking out the battery and hitting the siren with a hammer.

Ideally you need a custom installed system with a backup battery that links to every outside door (preferably inside doors as well), and with pir sensors in every area that has an outside door. It needs to be linked to a call centre who monitor it so that when the alarm goes off it gets checked.

Systems of this type are normally spec'd and installed by professionals over the course of a few days. You then pay an annual monitoring charge for the call centre.

Unfortunately they don't come cheap. The one in my house (ok the house is quite large) cost well over £2000.

Setenza

Novice Member
A pensioner on the other hand is cheaper. Some stout and cat food and a Val Doonican CD is the standard rate.

mjn

Distinguished Member
If you live in London, you don't even need an alarm, as Sir Ian Blair, claims its safe to leave your front doors unlocked.

wiz

Distinguished Member
tom_piano_man said:
All the burgalers know how to disable all the pre-built systems you can buy. It involves taking out the battery and hitting the siren with a hammer.

Ideally you need a custom installed system with a backup battery that links to every outside door (preferably inside doors as well), and with pir sensors in every area that has an outside door. It needs to be linked to a call centre who monitor it so that when the alarm goes off it gets checked.

Systems of this type are normally spec'd and installed by professionals over the course of a few days. You then pay an annual monitoring charge for the call centre.

Unfortunately they don't come cheap. The one in my house (ok the house is quite large) cost well over £2000.

Thanks Guys. Food for thought!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lesson:

Joe90sDad

Banned
tom_piano_man said:

You're not going to find many burglars up a ladder with a hammer without arousing suspicion unless you're in some mansion that's out of sight. If you're still worried about that then install two sirens - unless you're Posh & Becks, your average burglar isn't going to bother.

You can use a call centre but you can also buy your own dialler which will call a list of preset numbers, like your mobile phone etc. By the time anyone turns up at your house it'll be more than likely too late in either case.

About installers - I've seen plenty of bodges by the big name installers. They also have a tendency to site stuff where the wires runs are easiest.
Another point of contention is how to use PIRs. The manufacturers state that you should avoid pointing them towards windows, to avoid false alarms. Yet, you'll constantly see so called professional installers ignoring this.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Do you guys leave it on at night? Mrs is afraid she'll set it off if she nips downstairs for something in the nite

Pat_C

Novice Member
wiz said:
Do you guys leave it on at night? Mrs is afraid she'll set it off if she nips downstairs for something in the nite
Apparently the sensors can be set to ignore animal movements. So your wife should be OK if she crawls around on her hands and knees.

Chris Muriel

Yes we have it on at night - with the upstairs zones inactive for its "nightime setting".
If anyone has to go downstairs they don't immediately set it off, there are about 12 seconds of bleeping during which you must enter the security code. We don't find this an inconvenience or problem at all - better safe than sorry.

Chris Muriel, Manchester