House Renovation Mk2

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by DeadBeat, Feb 20, 2014.

1. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Im just waiting for news on my new house purchase, I know its jumping the gun a little but I'm really excited about it and lets just hope it doesn't fall through.

Ill be fitting some basic to mid range audio in the living room, and trying to get a nice modern feel to the house with LED's and the like, but I've got a lot of research to do.

Im after some help in planning the specifics of the living room so will ask some questions below the pictures.

Anyway Its a big undertaking with lots of work, which im sure you will agree. but its nice to start with a blank canvas.

So here is how it stands at the moment, pictures are form the for sale listing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    so heres a sketchup model of how the interior is now except ive put a basic living room together

[​IMG]

And here is how i probably will change it, knocking the kitchen and dining room through

[​IMG]

and some close ups of the living room shape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im trying to figure out just how to arrange the room, I cant move the funny Angle of the wall/door it would cost to much for the little gain. Im thinking of doing the chimney breast as i did in my last house with the TV sunken into it, possibly set the speakers into the breast at head height this time and put celing speakers in for the rears.

going to google through some projects to see what others have done in the same situations.

In my last house I ran separate wires through for HDMI, Optical Audio, Scart(lol) and a few others, however this time Im thinking ill only really need HDMI and Optical. should i run the HDMI over cat6?

I noticed a lot of people dont put their exuipment in view anymore, they have it in cupbords or at the back of the room. how do people achieve this without breaking remotes and oher things, is it expencive to have them hidden away and is it reliable?

Thanks

3. frazk

frazk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I have all my equipment under the stairs now well out of view. There's a free app out there for almost every piece of home cinema equipment on iphone, I don't know about android, but it works well. It's a bit of a pain swapping between apps, but if you don't like that then there's various other apps that'll do it all-in-one.

I've run 3 HDMI's round my house to 2 TV's and a projector, max 10m length, any longer and it's apparently down to luck whether they'll work or not without using cat6 or getting an active cable. I did also run a couple of extra cat6 cables, since it's cheap enough, for back-up just in case they were to ever breakdown.

4. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yeah i think ill do the same with the extra cat6. have you tried any IR repeaters or anything like that?

5. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Here are soem Nice renders I did with sketchup

The plan from above

[​IMG]

Another of the room

[​IMG]

This is the first floating ceiling test

[​IMG]

But I think im going to go with this design, where the floating ceiling doesn't wrap around the front of the fireplace

[​IMG]

And this is just a render with some example speakers in place, im hoping to make a fabric frame to fit over them to hide them

[​IMG]

6. frazk

frazk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Never used them myself, I'm sure there's plenty on here who could cherp up about them though.

7. speedyyellow

speedyyellow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Isn't the TV a little high? Is there enough room to get your left & right speakers either side of the TV, maybe with the centre above it?

As an aside, how long did your sketchup model take to build? I installed it last night to try doing the same and it's not exactly "intuitive"!

8. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The model has taken me a few solid hours to get to this point, but i cant put the laptop down at the moment lol, keep trying new things, best thing to do is just hit you tube, How to build a house in sketup or interior design etc. I have a background in 3d tho so it wasnt a big jump for me.

Im going to try to get the TV as low as possible however my last house had it quite high and it was very comfortable, especially if you get a sofa that lets you look up instead of with a very straight back.

Not sure I like the look of the speakers around the TV but ill give it some more thought and see what I can come up with

thanks

9. AltGr

AltGr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Any progress with this? I have a similar style lounge and looking at possible ideas, so would be interested to see what you decided on in the end

10. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    the house still hasnt gone through yet, still waiting on it, hopefully wont be long tho, have decided im probably going to knock the living room and dining room through as one as its not really big enough at the moment. ill update as soon as i have something further.

11. Herbiefish

Herbiefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    Impressive sketchup work ;-)

12. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    Deadbeat, what rendering engine are you using with Sketchup?

13. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  14. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    Thanks, although rather expensive for casual use. I've used Kerkythea in the past which is free, but haven't done any renders for a few years.

15. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Finally today its gone through, so much wasted time! anyway a few updated plans for your consideration..

Ive decided to knock the whole downstairs through as upon measuring the room is only big enough and due to its odd shape to fit one three seater sofa in and this just isnt going to be enough for us, so to open up the living room the wall has to come out, but i cant not open up the kitchen either so open plan it is, here are some sketches. It will be possible to put a stud wall back in if i feel its too open but we will see!

here is the current downstairs floor plan

[​IMG]

and here is is opened up so you should be able to see how it allows me to get an extra few seats into the space

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also the house has three double bedrooms and an additional box room with only space for a single bed and not really any storage. the room is more ideal for a study or an en suite. the gardens aren't really big enough for a large family and i will miss the en suite i currently have in my rented space so ive decided to turn it into an ensuite for the master bedroom. this also gives me the advantage of doing this bathroom first before tearing out the old bathroom allowing the house to be more livable during the works. the room also has a box in it that gives headroom when you climb the stairs which makes the room less practical.

My plans for the en suite are, to knock a door into the main bedroom, then build a stud wall partitioning the room from the door in the hallway. the door in the hallway will then open to a large storage area but not effect the look of the landing and the stud wall will hide the box from the bathroom. Ideas below.

please note colours textures and furniture in all these images are just place holders and probably nothing like what i want or live. the drawings are more about layout and the general idea.

the space as it is now except with the new door to the bedroom in place

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my first idea

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the space left as a cupboard on the landing

[​IMG]

the evolved idea

[​IMG]

the toilet sits on the outside wall to the side of the house so is idealy located. should be an interesting project.

thoughts?

16. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    I keep trying to rotate the models in the pictures, but it just doesn't work ;)

Looking good, I like the last idea fro the en-suite, but not sure about the cupboards across the top, they will make a small room feel a lot smaller.

What are the dimensions of the en-suite?

17. DeadBeat

DeadBeat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    dimensions are as follows

203cm wide
    253 cm deep from landing door
    246cm High

the box is

95cm wide
    71 cm deep
    60cm heigh

that means the store room will be roughly 60cm deep
    and the bathroom will be roughly

203cm wide
    183cm deep

do you think thats workable?

18. Ronski

Ronski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +803
    Yes, that's very workable, plenty of room especially if your having a shower instead of a bath. Our bathroom is 1.9 x 1.9 meters (our separate en-suite is 2.2 x 3 meters). I've just finished the bathroom a few months ago. I put a P shaped bath in with shower over, and fold out curved screen. Some slim cabinet's across the end with sink and toilet, it turned out very well. That was our second lot of cabinets, the first were much deeper, and just made the room look to small, by using the slimmer cabinets with the sink sticking out it, and the tiles done the way they are it made the room feel much bigger than it was before when it didn't have any cabinets.

Rather than post pictures in your thread there are some here.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014