House Photographer

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by rockchick762k, Feb 19, 2014.

1. rockchick762k

rockchick762k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I just wanted to share in here with you guys that I have been offered a House Photographer position with a live music venue in london :D I am so excited and pleased as I have only had my camera 14 months! I have been lucky enough to support a live music project each month, my local pubs open mic night and a local band or 2, giving me loads of experience and practice. I had messaged the club on the off chance as I attended a gig (Without camera) and loved the venue but felt lost without my camera. A facbook message, emails and a few pics later and I was offered a position. Can't quite believe it! Live music and photography it's like heaven! anyone out there doing it already have any tips or advice it would be much apreciated. Thank you too to all those on the forum that have commented, encouraged and supported me (Especially those giving advice to Barry on kit etc)

2. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,571
    Jammy Git :D. The only thing that would top that for me is to take photos at gigs whilst driving in a Ferrari :thumbsup:

Seriously, congratulations, very well done and all I can say is enjoy it, it would be good to see a few shots if copyright allows.

3. Dancook

Dancook
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,021
    You go girl :cool:

nice one!

4. rockchick762k

rockchick762k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Thank you, I am honestly feeling like that! I can certainly share some of my Live music project ones, and If permitted once I am doing the London Venues stuff I definitely will do.

5. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,956
    Brilliant stuff. Wouldn't know where to start with this, but congrats :)

6. rockchick762k

rockchick762k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    I literally just started in the local pub, watched the landlord taking pics on the iPhone, offered to take the camera along, offered the photography for one of the bands that play for their other gigs, got asked if I would like to photograph the live music project supporting local bands and bobs you auntie ;-)

7. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,956
    I meant I wouldn't know where to start on how best to take pics so can't offer any advice, but useful info nonetheless ;)

8. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,571
    As for advice, not sure what kit you are using but good excuse to save up any earnings and invest in a full frame and fast prime, have a look at your exif data and see what focal length you most often use. This is one application where I think the ff and fast prime ( or 24-70 f2.8 zoom, tamron looks good with vr/is) is going to give significant benefits. Worth also chatting up the light tech to see what they going to be doing or go along to the sound check to sus out angles/metering and also study the set list to look for obvious mood changes/sing alongs for front person/crowd interaction. A bit of homework could go a long way.

Sorry I am probably teaching my mum's mum to suck ovoid objects, but worth stating the obvious some times. Just go and do you thing and enjoy it, next stop wembley arena.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  9. rockchick762k

rockchick762k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Thank you really appreciate that :)

10. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,956
    Mmmmmm, new kit ;)

11. rockchick762k

rockchick762k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    All very valid points that I had not even thought about yet! I really do apreciate the tips :), I am quite lucky with the venue I volunteer at as I pretty much get free run of the building, I know the lighting now and I definitely get more that the first three songs. But I know I will have to consider this more now. How awesome would that be Wembley! If i get to snap Corey Taylor or Dave Grohl I will be a very happy lady indeed!
    getting a little ahead of myself though lol :rotfl:

12. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,571
    Corey Taylor, very cool.

Saw stone sour supported by a7x a couple of years ago, Corey is in my "top six favourite front men I have seen", Freddie Mercury is still no.1(kind of magic tour 1986, main road), closely followed, but not in any particular order, by Bruce dickinson (seen four times, powerslave tour 1985 sticks out), Fred durst (sonisphete 2009) and meatloaf (three times, always played for 2 1/2 hrs and had a tight backing band) and have just added Jared leto of 30 seconds to mars after seeing them at the o2 last year. Alice cooper and Steve Tyler were pretty good but getting on a bit same as jaz Coleman of killing joke (would love to photo him in concert, great face and passion).

13. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,956
    None of them can beat Keith Flint ;)

14. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,571
    On my bucket list, gutted I can't do sonisphere this year, prodigy/iron Maiden/metallica headlining. List also includes slipknot, metallica indoor gig (some hope in UK), mastodon indoor and new to the list enter shikari.

Luckily I have done a good job indoctrinating my son into the art of the metal so have a concert buddy, his first gig at twelve was metallica at sonisphere and was easy to spot in the mtv video bouncing to limp bizkit, great memories.

15. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,956
    Not my bag tbh (was a raver growing up ;)) but great that you can share this with your son and create great memories :)

16. Butch499

Butch499

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Good for you! Good luck!:smashin:
    My daughter does the same sort of thing, but works mostly with video.

17. rockchick762k

rockchick762k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    We were at the Stone Sour a7x gig both nights! Absolutely amazing! Especially the Halloween one with Corey in a basque! Now they would have been awesome pics!

I don't know that I can narrow my list to front men/women :-/ never saw Freddie but would have loved to. Foo's are awesome, best time for me was earls court 2005 I think :-/ but seen them a few times. Loved Alice Cooper and Ozzy with Sabbath at Download 2005, he has lost it a bit since then. Loved 30 seconds to Mars, seen them a few times but Hammersmith Appollo was awesome, he has so much energy! Now if I could get a press pass for Download that would be amazing, so many great bands. Bowling for Soup I think would be awesome to capture as they are just so funny! :)

18. rockchick762k

rockchick762k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Thank you, that's very kool! How long has your daughter been involved in it? Nice video too :)

19. Butch499

Butch499

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
  20. rockchick762k

rockchick762k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Who is Keith Flint? Lol

21. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,575
    Congratulations and well done :thumbsup: :clap:

22. rockchick762k

rockchick762k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Awesome! My gigging Buddy is amazing and happens to be my Fiancé too! He is the reason I have seen so many great live bands and also how I have been able to go to Download for the last 9 years. My kids have been too and have awesome taste in music, My son loves most of the bands I love, as do their friends so I get asked to be their responsible Adult for gigs :-D I'm the kool parent they all want lol. My jammy daughter has Met Bullet twice on her birthday! Lol.
    I always envied the photographers in front of me who got such amazing experiences, in my wildest dreams I didn't think there would be a chance for me to do that!

23. rockchick762k

rockchick762k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
  24. snerkler

snerkler
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,956
    Front man of The Prodigy :smashin:
    It was a bit tongue in cheek, although that's definitely more my cup of tea musically and their concerts are superb :)

25. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,571
    Saw then at the Brighton Centre at the end of their 2010 tour (last night I think). Awful venue, like playing in a school sports hall, but it is local to me. Saw Ozzy at Ozzfest last time they were at the O2, he was well past it and I just wished he had done the honorable thing and put Korn on as headliners and he had taken support. That was a pretty good day out thoug - Skindred (well worth seeing and another top front man in Benji Webbe), Murderdolls (good show but all a bit the same), Steel Panther (OMG what a laugh), Korn and Ozzy.

26. Faldrax

Faldrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Now you've made me feel old - I was just thinking Meatloaf was good when I saw him too, and realised it was probably 30 years ago! :laugh:

To the OP - well done! It's great to be able to realise a dream like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  27. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,571
    Your no wrong. I'm starting to get to that age where I need lists to remember stuff, in addition I have made a list of lists to cataloguie stuff I have done/had etc. and one of them was to list all of the gigs I had been to (another was cars I have owned). There is a great site with set lists for thousands of gig going back a long way that is worth a scout around.

Just a shame there are no Gig pubs where I live, there used to be a great one but this is now a coffee bar or soimething like that. One of the downers living on the sleepy, geriatric south coast.

28. Faldrax

Faldrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I grew up in Eastbourne, but now down near Southampton, so I'm familiar with the geriatric south coast :)

Southampton does have a few good pub venues - but with 2 primary school age daughters evenings out are a bit limited, so I've not been to see a band for several yeas. Did get to go to the IOW festival a couple of years back, which was fun (but muddy).

29. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,571
    Not done IOW, my brother in law went that year but managed not to get too stuck.
    With primary school age daughters the time is right to start working on thier musical taste (deprogramming One Dircetion is going ot be hard). As I previously posted my son has the same musical taste as me (via osmosis I think) and so now he is 17 we go to gigs together, usually two or three a year if we can, just a pitty all of the main festivals are in school time (Sonisphere and Download mainly, Hellfest in France seems to have good line ups so may be on the cards post A Levels) but he did Reading with mates last year - bit nerve racking as a parent but managed to get through it OK.

30. Faldrax

Faldrax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    Their taste is best described as 'varied' :eek:

Much is for the usual drivel, but they also like things like Foo Fighter & Kasier Chiefs, etc (as these are favourites of my wife).

In the car it's 50/50 if they will demand Planet Rock or Capital!