1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House of the Flying Daggers

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by BrianC, Oct 19, 2004.

1. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Took delivery of this today, after Edko snuck it out without much prior notice. I've been wanting to watch this film since it came out last year but as I live in the sticks I couldn't see it in the Cinema and there was no way I was going to download a nasty divx of a movie where part of the main appeal is its simply goregous sets.

It was with some trepidation that I put the disk into my player this evening (after rushing the kids of to bed ;) ) was I going to get another Hero or Crouching Tiger? Well, not quite, it is a good film, but it suffers a little in the pacing department as not enough happens in the right areas. Some of the fight scenes are a little weak as well, to short and my 3 year olds can hit harder than that. Its not got the fight scene repeatablility of something like crouching tiger or even the matrix. I do think the film will grow on you with repeat viewings, but its never going to be a critical master piece.

Something the film and the dvd does excel at, is the simply draw dropping sets, from the opening brothel location to the bamboo fight location it is, one or two niggles over camera lens focus in a couple of scenes aside, reference material. It knocks hero into a cocked hat, lots of virbrant, bold but above all natural colours flawlessly transfered. I'm sure this disk will be my main system demo disk for some time to come.

The sound (5.1 DTS & 5.1 DD) isn't as showy as on Hero, its much more subdued, let at the same time it manages to be expansive and a good test of how well intergrated your system is, esp. the sub. Do not expect anything like the over the top rain, wind or leaves from Hero.

A word of caution, this film seems to be 30 frames per second NTSC (I think I got that right :blush: ) - the same as Hero, so if your player has problems with Hero (I think this is a progressive scan problem only) then you are going to have problems with this film - I had to set it to Auto 2 to get rid of some blurring that was apparent in fast moving scenes.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for liking this film, I'm ok with that, but if you are going to flame me over picture quality, then please let me know what kit you are watching it on, and if you have calibrated it for audio & video with something like DVE or AVIA.

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,441
    Hi,

I too watched this last night, and thought it had some amazing set pieces.

The sound was loud and clear, listen to the hundreds of pebbles hitting drums in the showgirl palace, the picture was bright, and noise free. No blurring or problems on my RP.

It is a simplier story to follow than Hero. The fighting in trees has now been taken to great heights!. Amazing scene. Recommended.

rai

3. deanjamin

deanjamin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got mine this morning, haven't watched it yet but can confirm that the DTS is full bitrate 1536 for anyone interested.

4. Boogie Badman

Boogie Badman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I watched it last night and it kept me hooked, I still prefer Hero but this is a different type of film (love and betrayal). There were some great scenes Zhang Zi Yi is really showing that both her acting and martial arts skills are up there with other leading ladies in HK cinema.

I found the picture a little blurry on my CRT at the beginning but it did get better, sound was nice both DD and DTS are clear and impressive.

Enjoyable film, highly recommended.

5. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I watched this last night too. I agree with the slight blurring during the dance scene at the start.

I also noticed what seemed to be a dropped frame when the Government troops take Zhang Zi Yi out of the stocks (early on in the movie, I can find the exact time later, but I'm guessing about 12 minutes in). Anyone else spotted this?

I've only seen both films once but I enjoyed this more than Hero. Although Flying Daggers is a longer film, it seemed shorter as I was more involved with the story. Hero was the same story told several times, so towards the end it was a bit repetitve (but very good all the same).

Love the Echo Game scene, and the Bamboo forest fight scene...excellent. I also really like the way the fight at the end (won't give the plot away) relied less on wire-work and really conveyed the emotion of the two protagonists.

For just over £6, you can't go wrong.

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    Loved the movie, I was totally drawn into the film for the whole duration and I thought story was great, and overall I think I prefer this to the excellent Hero.

The picture on the DVD was a bit inconsistent in respect of the quality of the footage. There was some focus issues like what has been mentioned, but it was the changing of film quality in the some of the scenes that I found most distracting, It is as if they were using a different style of film or camera to capture certain shots. One minute everything is razor superb and vibrant, then the next shot is muted and dull looking. I believe the over-exposed shots in the field are all intentional for artistic effect

For the slight let down that is the picture, the DTS sound mix is absolutely stonking, totally immersing you in the middle of the action. The stand out scenes are the set pieces, with some great kick to the chest bass in the 'Echo Game', and a most impressive 360 degree soundstage in both the 'fight in the tree tops' and the 'final' scenes.

This movie comes highly recommended :smashin:

Giz.

7. pj

pj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    the pic quality is a weird thing reminds of a few of the quick releases they seem to do in china i.e. they release a telecine version then release a full digital remastered version a few months later as edko also did with hero(though it was only a few weeks later iirc) through the pc to the ae-700 the pic is a bit soft and does look like a good telecine whereas there 2 discs version of hero looks near HDTV! though the sound does totally make up for the pic the dts is pant pissingly good hope they do a 2 disc dts-es for this movie too!!

8. Wij

Wij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I just recieved my copy today and just watched it.
    I thought it was excellent,nothing groundbreaking but a solid film and well worth a watch.Oh and yes the DTS track is really REALLY good,especially in certain scenes,I got lost in it completely.
    Picture was fine through my standard widescreen tele,I'm projectorless atm as I sold my AE500(waiting for HS50) so I cant comment on the bigscreen performance,I shall watch it again once I recieve the pj.

Sean

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I thought the DTS soundtrack is one of the best I have ever heard. Quite incrediable!

I thought this film was far superiour to "Hero", but not quite as good as CTHD.