House of Maxwell (BBC Two)

krish

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
New 3-part series starts next Monday at 9pm on BBC2 (4th April)

Press release from November 2020
- original working title The Fall of the House of Maxwell
Spanning more than half a century it is a staggering tale of fortunes built and lost, mysterious deaths, society intrigue and a spectacular descent into scandal, culminating in the trial of Ghislaine Maxwell expected next year.

From Robert Maxwell’s beginnings as impoverished survivor of the Holocaust, via the extraordinary creation and collapse of his multimillion pound media business, his apparently accidental death and revelations of fraud on a grand scale, to the prosecution of his daughter thirty years later for her alleged involvement in grooming underage victims for sexual abuse, it’s the tale of the rise and fall of the first great modern media mogul and of the unravelling of his deeply troubled family.

Told through intimate testimony and exclusive never-before-seen sources of archive, The Fall Of The House Of Maxwell (w/t) is a story woven through British and American society and culture and will offer a unique window into a world of money, sex, privacy and power across half a century.

Patrick Holland, Controller, BBC Two, says: “Building on recent successes like Once Upon A Time In Iraq, Thatcher and The Rise Of The Murdoch Dynasty, this series promises to combine nuanced story-telling with great filmmaking ambition. I’m delighted to commission it for BBC Two and iPlayer audiences.”

Expectation’s Creative Director, Factual and Factual Drama, Colin Barr, adds: “It’s hard to imagine a story with a more dramatic rise or disastrous fall than the story of the Maxwell family. It’s a story that is both intimate and epic and one which speaks to half a century of business, politics and celebrity. This is a true-life family drama on an extraordinary scale, and we’re incredibly privileged to be producing it for BBC Two.”

The Fall of the House of Maxwell (w/t) (3x60) was commissioned by Patrick Holland, Controller, BBC Two and Clare Sillery, Head of Commissioning, Documentaries, History & Religion. It is being made by Expectation, and Executive Produced by Colin Barr (Our War, Life and Death Row, Murder 24/7) who also made the Emmy-winning BBC Drama, Maxwell about the last days of Robert Maxwell. The BBC Commissioning Editor is Hamish Fergusson.

@raigraphixs started thread a day earlier, when trailer hadn't yet been released :) ...
New 3-part series starts next Monday at 9pm on BBC2 (4th April)

Press release from November 2020
- original working title The Fall of the House of Maxwell
@Garrett please merge, and it's not TBC as it starts on Monday :)

Is this the same one that was on last year? BBC 4 I think. If so, it’s very informative and explains a lot about why she became who she did.

Is this the same one that was on last year? BBC 4 I think. If so, it’s very informative and explains a lot about why she became who she did.
Not sure what that programme was, but this is a brand new three-parter.

Can't believe I missed that, if you can remember it, that would be much appreciated (BBC4 usually repeats programmes that were on BBC2 a year or more earlier).

Not sure what that programme was, but this is a brand new three-parter.

Can't believe I missed that, if you can remember it, that would be much appreciated (BBC4 usually repeats programmes that were on BBC2 a year or more earlier).
My mistake it wasn’t bbc4 but Sky documentaries,
called Ghislaine Maxwell: Epstein's Shadow.
It delved into her upbringing by Maxwell and how much he influenced her life.

I will watch this BBC docu with interest.

When I saw the title I thought it was about the beans.

Straight after the final episode of the doc, is a repeat of the 2007 BBC film drama, Maxwell, starring David Suchet in an International Emmy winning performance as Cap'n Bob, at 10pm on BBC4, next Monday night (18th April) ...
David Suchet stars as the media tycoon in a dramatised account of how greed and ambition destroyed a man and led him to commit one of the world's biggest ever frauds.

As Maxwell's world starts to collapse, his obsession with power and his great rival Rupert Murdoch begin to unravel his life. Cracks appear in his multi-billion business empire, his marriage enters troubled waters, and he becomes infatuated with his PA.

With time running out he retreats to the heart of his web at the offices of the Daily Mirror and sets about saving his skin. Trapped and paranoid, his attempts to stem the tide of debts culminate in him stealing a billion pounds from his companies and their pension funds.

I’m going to binge this over the weekend. Missed last weeks as I was away but got them recorded.

Just given this a watch on iPlayer. Wow, things just got worse with that family. And it really puts into perspective how utterly wrong PA's association with Epstein was.

Looked like it could be pants but it was very well done and I watched it in one sitting from iPlayer.

After decades of having my thoughts about Maxwell I have to say it gave a balanced view of the man and rounded off the jagged edges of my opinions about him and his actions.

Same about his daughter -convicted child trafficker- Ghislaine. I wasn't in court but I think her lawyers could maybe of come at her defence from a diffferent angle had they watched the documentary.

She would have done anything for her father and Epstein.

8/10.

This is good viewing, has a lot of information about Robert Maxwell and his dodgy dealings. Felt somewhat sorry for his sons getting all the blame for their father‘s fraudulent activities. What a legacy!

Felt somewhat sorry for his sons
I don't, having been familiar with Kevin and Ian in the early 00s, when they briefly rented an office on the same floor as me, and up to the current day with their sorry defence of their sex trafficking younger sis.

I don't, having been familiar with Kevin and Ian in the early 00s, when they briefly rented an office on the same floor as me, and up to the current day with their sorry defence of their sex trafficking younger sis.
Does that make them guilty of their father‘s crimes?

Does that make them guilty of their father‘s crimes?

They're as dishonest and dodgy as fudge and were lucky lucky bastards.

The SFO had further prosecutions against them which they had to drop.

They're as dishonest and dodgy as fudge and were lucky lucky bastards.

The SFO had further prosecutions against them which they had to drop.
So you believe they were guilty but got away with it? It’s plausible the Apple doesn’t fall far from the Tree, especially with what Ghislaine thought she could get away with.

So you believe they were guilty but got away with it? It’s plausible the Apple doesn’t fall far from the Tree, especially with what Ghislaine thought she could get away with.

The SFO had so much on them.

Now look at their history of bankruptcies since (once is unfortunate).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom