1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House of flying daggers

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by G a f f e r, Dec 30, 2004.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    Just a quick warning to say DON'T BUY THIS FILM ON DVD.
    Reason? ...The film was rubbish :thumbsdow
    Unlike Crouching Tiger which had at least 3 plots/subplots all intertwined, or Hero, with a good solid plot, this film is basically a weak romance that dribbles along before (eventually) puffing to a slow halt at the end.
    The expected climactic battle doesn't even happen. You also don't get to see the two leaders of the opposing sides (without giving away the plot) confront eachother.

Utter disappointment :suicide:

2. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    have it on order from cd wow
    no stock till 3rd jan arrggghhhhh

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more. The end fight was brilliant, and the scenery is gorgeous, but as a film, it fails miserably. Not a pinch on Hero or CTHD. :thumbsdow

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Very mixed views on this film. I've got it on dvd but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Hoping I find it more enjoyable than you did :)

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,345
    :confused: Hi Gaffer74
    Is this supose to be a review of the film or the DVD?
    If the film I will leave it here but if of the DVD I will move it to the DVD forum. ;)

6. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    er, it's a comment on the film which also acts as a warning about not buying the dvd......(but i think it's mainly about how bad the film was)

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Disagree whole-heartedly. Thought the film was absolutely superb from start to finish, one of my favourite films of the year along with 'Big Fish'. Couldn't recommend enough! :thumbsup: 9/10

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See, that's what bugs me about this film. People whose opinions I respect (I respect all opinions, but you know what I mean) love this film. This is a film I should love; ie, it's my kind of film: great kung-fu, arthouse atmosphere, beautiful design, etc. But I think it just fails on so many levels as to be unwatchable. IMO, the plot goes from mediocre to rediculous to pointless as the film progresses.

Case in point:
    (SPOILER)
    Witness the "mystery" of the leader of the Flying Daggers. Who could it be? Oh, it's just some chick you've never heard of who walks out in the next scene, and isn't seen again. Why bother?
    (END SPOILER)

By the end, I was just hoping ninjas would kill all the main characters. I hated them all that much. And in a film that's basically a love story, that's the kiss of death. (pun intended)

I felt the same about Kill Bill 2. A couple great scenes, but a shambles of a film overall. I can normally handle films like this, choosing to look at the good points as successful, but I guess my expectations were a little too high.

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    She takes AGES to die in the end (if only my patients in A&E were so obliging, it would make my life easier 'cos it would be so difficult for them to expire :)

oh yes, and that's without her "shall i shag you?,,,er no....how about you?....maybe you? nope changed my mind, i'll try you again......no.....well maybe you then........actually what about you?...........etc etc

10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Being Chinese, and having watched the vast majority of HK films, I find this one excellent too, much better than Hero.

Wasabi

11. Steve T

Steve T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I too thought this was a better film than Hero. A more involving plot, and great performances all round - one of my favourite films of last year. I respect other member's right to disagree though, it keeps life interesting!

12. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I felt the same :clap: :clap: one of my top films of 2004

13. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Very well said, Azrikam.

I don't think the film is "unwatchable" though. Certainly the flying daggers themselves were a little too Krull-like in their intelligence & manouverability for my liking! Talk about radio-controlled :laugh:

I think it finishes third after Hero & CTHD.

14. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    LOL!

You say the the "flying daggers" are too radio-controlled for your liking, what about all the flying around the characters do: :laugh:

Its meant to be far fetched! :thumbsup:

You don't sit through say, "Pitch Black" and say, well that is ridiculous, there aren't any spaceships do you.

15. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    It wasn't the effects (that were v good and matrix like), but the ever so poor plot that let it down.
    Pitch black was a sci-fi film dressed as a sci-fi film.
    This was an insipid romance dressed as a martial arts epic :D

16. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    GG,

Don't get me wrong I *love* wire-fu and all the preposterous radio-controlled swords/daggers etc. I know its meant to be far-fetched (more than anyone else here, imo :zonked: ).

I just think it could have been done slightly better to be more realistic perhaps. How though, I don't know :confused:

17. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    got to nip to ikea!!!! then im gonna watch it will see what i think????

18. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well if you're putting up what you bought when you get home, you wont be watching it for a week:laugh:

19. beecee

beecee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    saved a few quid by going to see it on the cheep night at the cinema, i wish i saved even more money by not going, really poor plot/story, even the score got on my nerves, and the fight scenes were not the best in recent times.

enjoyed crouching tiger, not seen hero yet. but not in any hurry to see that

20. c4lln

c4lln

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i went to see it on cheap night also, a complete waste of time and money. the plot was basically ok but they could have told the whole story in 10 mins, instead it was stretched out beyond belief.
    i thought hero was ok, at least there was a bit of fighting in it and it also looked fantastic but house of flying daggers was just very poor.

21. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    A really interesting bit of research that I happened to notice, when I ask friends regarding HOFD and whether it was worse or better than HERO.

I myself is Chinese, but born and brought up in Sweden, but lived in UK since 1996.

The strange thing is that none of my friends that are of Chinese origin thought that HERO was better than HOFD, but none of my non Chinese of origin thought that HOFD was better than HERO. I have probably asked over 40 people by now, and I guess I could ask 100 to make it statistical correct. ;p

And no, I haven't tried to analyse and ask them why, it just popped up in my mind when reading this thread again.

Strange isn't it ;D

Wasabi

22. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I saw this and thought it was really good

If your looking for a non-brainer hollywood blockbuster type film, then this film is not that

If you watch the film to say - 'ok, how are you a different film?' - then you will appreciate this film alot more

Its got a different style and chinese culture and I really liked it as a different perspective to normal films

23. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm pretty sure that it's been out for years now, as has Hero, When Hero came out over here 'Quintin Tarantino's' (spelling?) name was on it, but on the Chinese version (exactly same film) his name was no where to be seen. As far as I can see his name was slapped on it just for marketing purposes.

24. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I'm not 100% but I think QT bought the distribution rights or at least had something to do with that side of things.

HOFD came out not too long after it was made. I read that the scene in the field of flowers/weeds was actually filmed just after the SARS scare and so the cast and crew were delayed from entering the Ukraine (where alot of the location shooting was done) causing what was supposed to be a visually stunning battle amongst a plethora of colourful flora into a battle set against a backdrop of muted browns. :lesson:

25. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    HERO:
    i think QT had to badger Miramax (who have the rights) to release it for a western audience -so they slapped his name all over it to sell it.

HOFD:
    is a beautiful film and one of my fav's of last year. it worked on so many levels it took my breath away. As for the story being stretched out - i think that most film can be explained in a few lines. if you've ever seen or heard of the "Reduced Shakespeare Company" you'll know what i mean.

There are spoilers below - but they are 3 of the most famous movies ever made (Jaws, ET, Alien) so i dare say i'm not giving much away:
    I.e.

Jaws:
    shark eats tourists off the coast of US, man comes to find shark, shark found and killed - the end

ET:
    alien gets left behind, boy finds him, boy hides him until alien can call for a lift, friends come back to pick up alien - the end

Alien:
    crew stop to check out life form on planet, life form infects crew member, man gives birth to alien, alien eats crew one by one. one woman escapes (alien on outside of escape ship) - the end

if you reduce all films to their most base, simplistic level they are all stretched out. its the telling that is important. if the "vibe" that is HOFD's doesn't grab you then your bound to find it boring. but i would argue that HOFD isn't boring at all.

Gary

26. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    LOL - if you want insipid romance, then try Attack of the Clones...

SPOILERS

Her indecision between the man she felt obligigated to love, against the man she didn't want to love was superb... and I felt that the whole "blind" thing was very well acted. The fight in the bamboo forest had me on the edge of my seat!

The only bit that I didn't like was the snow at the end. It was totally overdone (sunny day becomes 2 feet deep snow in the course of a fight?!) - IMO unnecessary. Maybe a directors trademark, like the whole dove thing in Hard Boiled etc??

Other than the snow, superb film!!

END SPOILERS

On walking out of the cinema I actually felt like learning chinese JUST so I could watch it w/out subtitles! IMO Film of the Year so far...

27. Dellboy

Dellboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    During the filming of the final fight scene the weather took a dramatic turn for the worst so that whole segment of the story was altered to suit the resulting ground conditions. They couldn't reshoot and relocate due to time and money.

28. alle v

alle v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...Well made but weak film. Felt like parts were missed out, rushed or just done incorrectly.

Very disappointed in the end and as someone else said it was a very distant third behind CTHD and Hero.

29. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Opinion seems to be divided on this film. People either seem to love this placing it above Hero & CTHD or loathe it and place it 3rd. Still haven't had a chance to watch this movie, however just looking for a bit of entertainment and not too worried where it ranks!

30. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I for one really really like it but I still think that CTHD and Hero have that certain "other" quality that just elevate them above HOFD.

Still think there was a conspiracy to give the best film oscar to Gladiator instead of CTHD :mad: